Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One piece of advice

Options
  • 24-03-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have one piece of advice that you'd like to share with your fellow boardsies to help them live a happier and more productive life?

If we could keep it to only one piece of advice, it will stop the thread getting cluttered up

For me, it's something really simple

Did you ever have that feeling in the back of your mind that you're forgetting something? That's your subconscious trying to get your attention for some unfinished task that you should have done but haven't.

Tie up your loose ends. Our brains only have limited resources, and we devote some of these to maintaining a register of unfinished tasks that we need to do. When we commit to doing something, our brains really want us to finish it.

It's a bit like having lots of programs open in the background of your PC. They'll be using RAM and slowing down your system. If you're finished using them, close them down and you free up RAM for new tasks.

No matter how small, everyone has unfinished tasks that are hanging over us, it eats away at us a little bit, building up stress until your brain can assign it as complete.

If you told someone you'd call them or text them back, and you forgot to, it'll be eating away at you and stressing you out, call them back today. You'll feel so much better, even if it's just to acknowlede their contact and say that you're working on a solution.

If you have a little job that needs doing but you've been putting it off, just do it. You'll feel a lot better.

Everyone has big projects that we can't complete for lack of resources, but we also have loads of little niggly things that we can finish (even by just consciously abandoning them) with barely any effort and focusing on these first can take a large weight off our mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

One Piece is a lame anime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

never eat brown snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Take time.

Just take time to simply 'be'. If that's sitting on a chair staring out your window, or lying on your bed listening to music, it doesn't matter.

First take that time to do nothing, and then allow your thoughts to roam. Only in this time do we truly reflect, or reach a deep cognitive thought, both of which are crucial to your wellbeing and development.

Too often we get caught up in work, or family, or the internet, or playing games, or whatever, and we never take this time to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is a piece of advice my father gave to me. Now this refers not only to lagging, but all forms of insulation. He said "dont ever"...no, wait, it was "always"...no er, "never, never" - oh wait now, I've forgotten. Never mind. Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge humming and the second one, now thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming. I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards. Now if you push me to it, I'd have to say my favourite colour is grey. No, blue. A soft blue with a hint of grey. No, orange. Yes, orange. I remember now. I had an extension put on the house, and I put it on the extension, so the house is in a circle now, you see...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When farting in a place like a pub and it's a particularly nasty one, wait to be the 2nd one to notice and only pull a subtle face........like you're not sure what you've just smelt or the "I'm not sure if this milk carton in me fridge is gone off or not" face.

Source: I'm a notorious fart-framer and terrible at giving advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Do some exercise each day at the same time, if you just want to give it 15 minutes, give it 15 minutes. The momentum and effect on your mind, as well as your body, builds up slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I find this very hard to do.

Considering even two minutes on my own I end up vigorously pulling the lad off myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nobody has said use sunscreen yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

about the sixth time I've posted this ..

Better to be judged by 12
    Then carried by 6.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Never wish you life away.

Seems simple enough but when you're sat there at 4pm thinking 2 more hours come on roll around 6pm it focuses you, even if you just go and get a coffee and chat to a co-worker, never wish your life away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

If the rivers running red take the dirt track instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Every day, do one thing to make someone else smile.
    Send an unexpected text, get someone a coffee, or just stop and say thank you/hello/how are you? And mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Work hard, then work harder.

Ignore the begrudgers. The issue is with them and not you.

You don't find wisdom at the bottom of a pint glass or at the butt of a weed joint.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You don't find wisdom at the bottom of a pint glass

Nuh - uh

http://www.cafepress.com/+hard-work+drinking-glasses

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Work to live, don't live to work.

Put in the effort during your work hours but avoid OT if at all possible and do something enjoyable instead of slaving all your time away for someone elses gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Always remember, you won't find wisdom in gimmick accounts.

Except for maybe The Citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

NEVER ask directions from a starfish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

I live by one piece of advice and one piece only ...

Don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

"Nothing changes if nothing changes" and an exercise related one " the mind wants to quit long before the body needs to".

Be kind.

You've no idea what battles those you meet in your daily life are fighting and how much your kindness can make a difference.

Just be kind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Family, religion, friendship.

These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. When opportunity knocks, you don't want to be driving to a maternity hospital or sitting in some phony-baloney church. Or synagogue.....

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you have one piece of advice that you'd like to share with your fellow boardsies to help them live a happier and more productive life?

I can just repeat the one I always give when threads like this come up. Which is that - for me personally - the incremental approach to life worked - coupled with changing my perspective on how I measure my successes.

In the past I used to be a total layabout loser - especially in college. And I was depressed by my lack of achievement in life. Especially as I looked around me in and out of my family and friends - at people achieving so much more than me. I could simply not see how to get there from where I was. Or do "better" than them.

Then one day I shifted that focus. Rather that set seemingly far off and unattainable goals for myself I simply set myself the target to better myself against no standard TODAY other than the person I was YESTERDAY. Simple as that.

Each day I would aim to be a tiny bit better than the day before. Better at some skill. Better at some physical exercise. Better at some piece of knowledge. Better at my internal calm - attention focus - or self discipline.

And those two changes combined turned me into who I am today. Someone I am not only happy to be - but the people I once looked at as having standards unattainable by me are now the people coming to me saying things like "I just do not know how you...." or "Where do you find time to...." or "I wish I was able to..." and it is seemingly them looking up to me now.

At the beginning it was comical of course. I did not go from couch to 5miles quickly as they say. Rather I got up on the first day and went for a 1 minute run / cycle / jog down the road. Literally 30 seconds down and 30 seconds back. Took me longer to get ready to go out than I spent out!!

But on day 2 I did 2 minutes. Day 3, 3. And so on. Now my daily routing includes an hour run in the morning. An hour cycle in the evening. And either Capoira Training, BJJ training or swimming.

I applied the same to my study and learning - or my meditation and focus - and my cooking abilities. Starting from a seemingly insignificant standard - and incrementing it by seemingly insignificant bits - I ended up pushing my limits and beyond on everything I turned my hand or mind to.

Of course it will not work for everyone. Some people wont have the attention span or patients or both for it. But for those it works for - it really works.

If we could keep it to only one piece of advice, it will stop the thread getting cluttered up

For me, it's something really simple

Did you ever have that feeling in the back of your mind that you're forgetting something? That's your subconscious trying to get your attention for some unfinished task that you should have done but haven't.

Tie up your loose ends. Our brains only have limited resources, and we devote some of these to maintaining a register of unfinished tasks that we need to do. When we commit to doing something, our brains really want us to finish it.

It's a bit like having lots of programs open in the background of your PC. They'll be using RAM and slowing down your system. If you're finished using them, close them down and you free up RAM for new tasks.

No matter how small, everyone has unfinished tasks that are hanging over us, it eats away at us a little bit, building up stress until your brain can assign it as complete.

If you told someone you'd call them or text them back, and you forgot to, it'll be eating away at you and stressing you out, call them back today. You'll feel so much better, even if it's just to acknowlede their contact and say that you're working on a solution.

If you have a little job that needs doing but you've been putting it off, just do it. You'll feel a lot better.

Everyone has big projects that we can't complete for lack of resources, but we also have loads of little niggly things that we can finish (even by just consciously abandoning them) with barely any effort and focusing on these first can take a large weight off our mind.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Find it. Find the Beauty & the Happiness. It is out there, you just need to find it.

Everyone & Everything can be Beautiful & Bring you Happiness in some form/way. Find it.

Even it you're brought to your knees in pain, dig deep for that Beauty Around You & Find some Happiness Again.

It's the only thing that will Save you in this World.

Beauty & Happiness is out there,
    You Need to Find It.

^That's my One Piece of Advice,
    Just Find the Beauty & Happiness.

Love & Hugs,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Only for the optimist the pessimist would never know how happy he wasn't.
    Put on a big smile and face the world this could be as good as it gets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I have a simple philosophy really -

"Pay it forward"

And as for advice?

Believe in the kindness of strangers.

Educate yourself. While ignorance might be bliss for you, your ignorance is a pain in the ass for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

What would my grandfather do?

I've found that a great way of cutting through bull**** and avoid timewasting in any given situation. I'm a believer in personality skipping a generation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I can't pick just one so these are the greatest lessons I've learned throughout my life;

Don't wish your life away, live for the moment and take the time to appreciate what you have and where you.

Don't sweat the small stuff and ignore the begrudgers and complainers, they'll only bring you down.

Work to live, don't live to work.

Do one thing every day to make you smile, and do things that make others smile too...you'll both come out of it happy.

Be patient with those who give advise particularly when you think you don't need or want it, they are not being interfering or trying to tell you how to live your life....chances are they have made mistakes and don't want you to repeat them.

Above all else be kind and considerate....rudeness, selfishness and self entitlement will only make you miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

The only thing you ever truly have to do is die.

Everything else comes by choice, make the choice yours.

Advertisement