Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best interview tips?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

the_monkey wrote: »
    Sounds silly, but I always think this before an interview.

For HR it is a pain in the ass getting the right person for the job,
    they want to hire you - the person interviewing you wants to hire you - people have this fear that interviewers want you to f*ck up - I've never come across this

Thats half the battle won.
    Yes and no, it depends on how many applicants they have for the job. They certainly won't be out to get you but you should expect to be pushed on certain things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yes and no, it depends on how many applicants they have for the job. They certainly won't be out to get you but you should expect to be pushed on certain things.

For sure, as I said it's half the battle won, but it makes it easier - for me anyway, I feel more in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've interviewed quite a bit over the years..

Be comfortable in what your wearing, a number of times I've told candidates to take off their tie and jacket if it helped, it helped alot !!

Speak to people, look them in the eye when your speaking to them. Having someone talk to a spot on the wall behind you is silly and everything feels rehearsed and shows a lack of confidence.

You'll probably have 2/3 people interviewing you, try remember the name of the person leading the interview and any others you can, use their names when addressing them with answers.

Be confident in what you actually know, don't oversell it. Nothing as bad as exagerating your skills only to be caught out later in the interview. We had a box of technical props under the table and produced them during the interview for candidates to use, sorts men form boys !

Have a relevant question lined up, something business related, not about wages nor holiday entitlements, that's off putting in first interview.

Often some idiot will ask "what's your biggest weakness", its an arsehole question to ask, but try have a stock answer that doesn't portray you as a moron !

Shake their hand and thank them for the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Tell them you don't like working with old people as they are not fun.
    Seriously, just answer honestly. If you don't know something say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

_Brian wrote: »
    I've interviewed quite a bit over the years..

Be comfortable in what your wearing, a number of times I've told candidates to take off their tie and jacket if it helped, it helped alot !!

Speak to people, look them in the eye when your speaking to them. Having someone talk to a spot on the wall behind you is silly and everything feels rehearsed and shows a lack of confidence.

You'll probably have 2/3 people interviewing you, try remember the name of the person leading the interview and any others you can, use their names when addressing them with answers.

Be confident in what you actually know, don't oversell it. Nothing as bad as exagerating your skills only to be caught out later in the interview. We had a box of technical props under the table and produced them during the interview for candidates to use, sorts men form boys !

Have a relevant question lined up, something business related, not about wages nor holiday entitlements, that's off putting in first interview.

Often some idiot will ask "what's your biggest weakness", its an arsehole question to ask, but try have a stock answer that doesn't portray you as a moron !

Shake their hand and thank them for the interview.

I am that person.:D. I usually throw it in (or some even ****tier variation of it) towards the end of an interview just to see how people react and think on their feet. I cant actually remember any interview I've had myself where this question wasn't asked, but most of the time I put it to interviewees they don't have an answer prepared.

Just pick a trait that's not vital to the current role and make up some story about how you've worked to improve upon it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Boardsies, I have an interview on Weds for a new job.
    What are your best interview tips? :pac:

Stare straight at the interviewer, frown slightly, lean forward in the chair and then ask softly "do you like working here?"

If the answer is a quick "yes", then walk.
    If it's eyes up to the left, then walk.
    If it's .. he leans back in the chair, takes a deep breath and holds is then take the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

What's your biggest weakness?

Honesty.

That's not a weakness....

Yes it is, you arrogant cnut...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

biko wrote: »
    Splash some beer onto yourself. Ask the interviewer for change.

Beer. Pfft...

You want to spill some brandy on yourself. That or whiskey.

Something that says you smell like a man who likes a drink, but you have taste.

On a serious note, when asked where I see myself in 2 years? I once told the interviewer, I said I wanted to be the interviewers boss. Got the job too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

pro-tip, ask the boss hoew's her vacuum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Get your boobs out. Always get your boobs out.

67% of the time, it works 100% of the time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I finished college and thought to myself, No more exams ever. O I was wrong. You get deadlines in working life but these are fine. Interviews are the new exams and they're worse. In an exam if your ****, you know your **** and your lecturer knows your **** but generally it's not spoken about. In an interview they look into your soul and force you to confirm to yourself that your ****.
    Ok, maybe thats a tad negative.

Interview part 1. General HR stuff
    I hate all this generic stuff with a passion. Its the "ascertain if this person has learned the appropriate response to our BS q's and if they're a bit of a dick round"
    This is usually fine. Little bit of prep and you'll be fine.

Interview part 2. Technical part
    Depends on you experience and the job. I find technical interviews to be black and white. You either nail it or fail it. There doesn't seem to be an in between for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

So.....are you prepared?

Today is the day. What kind of job is it anyway?

Advertisement