Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best interview tips?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Boardsies, I have an interview on Weds for a new job.
    What are your best interview tips? :pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Basic Instinct. Sharon Stone move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You're seen as a weirdo by modern society and at job interviews if you don't have fcukbook. Or was it facebook.

I can't remember. Just make sure you tell them you have both. In fact you should get both and be sure to show them your profile.

You're seen as a weirdo by modern society and at job interviews if you don't have fcukbook. Or was it facebook.

I can't remember. Just make sure you tell them you have both. In fact you should get both and be sure to show them your profile.
    LinkedIn is what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Ask them in a worried but inquisitive tone what age they are then look disgusted when they answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I always think to myself

What would Annie Lennox do?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Dress professionally and be clean shaven.

Dress professionally and be clean shaven.

Especially if she's doing that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Eye contact is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Ask them how long your lunch breaks are?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dress smartly no matter what the job is .

Be on time 5 mins before is ideal so make sure you know where you are going and how to get there.

Do research on the company and role.
    Know what they do , products who their competition is, where they operate etc. Google will help here.

Think of examples for all you can say.
    If you say you are a good team player then give an example.

Be able to list achievements.

Know everything on your CV.

When asked if you have negatives. View it as an opportunity to turn a negative to a positive. For example, I said once that I gave a poor presentation once due to nerves but went and got training on it that improved my skills. Don't say you work too hard or are a perfectionist, they have heard that before.

Remember you should do most of the talking but don't make your answers too long and don't give one word answers.

Keep giving examples of things you have done
    Practise the interview with someone the night before if you can.

Don't ask about money in the interview.

Ask what the next stage is in the process.
    Be polite and thank interviewer.

Remember an interview is an opportunity to sell yourself, and don't get too down if you don't get the job. View each interview as a training opportunity and you will get better at them.

Hope this helps, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

tell the boss to go **** her/ himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Be positive about the role. Have a few questions prepared about it based on the job description, anything to show you've done your research and you're interested. If you're not sure how to answer a question, be honest about it, but give it a go if you can.

Try not to be too repetitive with your answers, so don't just focus on your latest job, be able to talk about other relevant past roles. And basically just try and stay relaxed and hide the sweat patches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ask if there is room for advancement or ever any overtime opportunities.

Don't answer 'No' when the time comes near the end of the interview and they ask if you have any questions. Have something to say.

Don't badmouth your previous employer even if they were a dick. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

A little speed is just the ticket..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Be naked, it'll take attention away from the CV lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Always try and have some questions ready to ask them, if they end up answering them during the course point that out, outlining what the question was and how they answered it.
    Always be nice to the receptionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Inform the interviewer you wish to advance within the company to a level where you can fire the interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Research the company you are going for an interview with. Visit the About Section of their website. Know who the executives are on the C-Suite. Read their annual report. Know the markets in which they operate. Become a subject matter expert on the company.

Personal grooming is very important. For men, this means a good suit with a conservative cut and colour. Avoid really basic errors like black shoes and a brown belt. On the subject of shoes - don't skimp on a cheap pair and make sure and polish them.

Lose the facial hair. Studies have shown that men with beards are seen as less trustworthy. It's also difficult to pull off a beard that looks neat and well-groomed.

A firm handshake, but not one of those vice like grips some people seem to go for. Avoid sweaty palms.

When asked if you have any questions then take the opportunity to ask proper questions. It's a unique opportunity to craft the interview to your skillset and talents. Put some thought into these questions. Not ones like 'how many holidays do I get', or 'is the restaurant subsidised'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you're asked a question and you don't have an answer, don't waffle or make sh1te up.

If you say I don't know. Don't worry, a lot of times the person asking the question doesn't even know the answer themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

At the (phone) interview for my current job, I was unable to answer any of their questions and said "Look, this isn't going very well, but thanks for your time..."

They hired me anyway, because the other candidate would have needed to wait for a visa whereas I could start immediately.

18 months later, I have understood little and am still working on the first draft of my first publication to submit to a journal. My contract was due to expire in 3 weeks. Yesterday, I found out that I am getting a six week extension on my contract, because there was 3 grand left over in the grant budget, and giving it to me meant less hassle and forms for my supervisor than finding some other way to spend it.

Just play it cool, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

If you run out of things to talk about in the interview just pull your pants down and shake it all about, that will give them something to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If it's with the Bee Gees don't mention the fact that they were once called, and always were to you, Les Tosseurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sounds silly, but I always think this before an interview.

For HR it is a pain in the ass getting the right person for the job,
    they want to hire you - the person interviewing you wants to hire you - people have this fear that interviewers want you to f*ck up - I've never come across this

Thats half the battle won.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There's a certain banned phrase that would fit perfectly into this thread.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Before the interview have a milkshake and a wee dab ah speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Avoid really basic errors like black shoes and a brown belt.

****, think ive missed the basics all my life

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Splash some beer onto yourself. Ask the interviewer for change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's also difficult to pull off a beard that looks neat and well-groomed.

Won't read a truer word in the thread, but you most likely won't hear of anyone being asked to pull off their beard during an interview.

Advertisement