Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC M9 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Just seem this review helps dispel the mega pixel muth that more is better but really shows the camera in bad light :| ........... ill get my coat.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133328-htc-one-m9-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-4-vs-lg-g3-cameras-a-quick-performance-comparison

I know the note 4 has an awesome camera but never really felt the g3 was that great but it really does better than the m9. Dam it htc what have you done. Maybe the m9+ will be better.

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Just seem this review helps dispel the mega pixel muth that more is better but really shows the camera in bad light :| ........... ill get my coat.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133328-htc-one-m9-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-4-vs-lg-g3-cameras-a-quick-performance-comparison

I know the note 4 has an awesome camera but never really felt the g3 was that great but it really does better than the m9. Dam it htc what have you done. Maybe the m9+ will be better.

I wouldn't read anything into it. HTC are using a new sensor, but it is a good one. They will continue to push updates and improve the camera.

Also, these tests only show a comparison on auto settings. If they were to show the best photo you could take in each situation, then results would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Basil3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't read anything into it. HTC are using a new sensor, but it is a good one. They will continue to push updates and improve the camera.

Also, these tests only show a comparison on auto settings. If they were to show the best photo you could take in each situation, then results would be very different.

But why bother releasing a phone which then need updates to fix problems. Why not just make it right before bringing it to market?

You wouldn't buy a car that needed to be fixed straight out of the show room would?

It doesn't make any sense to me.

But why bother releasing a phone which then need updates to fix problems. Why not just make it right before bringing it to market?

You wouldn't buy a car that needed to be fixed straight out of the show room would?

No, but I would buy a car which ticks all my boxes, has no major shortcomings, and is from a company that has a track record of providing updates that improve the product.

For me, the other options tick less boxes, or are insanely priced and/or have a poor record of addressing issues in updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Deadlines, marketing, yearly revenue/earnings, stock value - all those very important things would suffer if they delay the product. That's why it will be (hopefully) fixed later. Cars are a different - you cannot easily replace a part on a million cars that has already been sold.

I'm going to wait for cyanogenmod anyway - vendor software is almost always overloadad with "features" that I don't need and don't use and misses the important things like ad block or Privacy Guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

The reviews are of review units which do not have final consumer software yet. It may release with an updated software that fixes the camera issue.

I will have mine on day 1 and will post here what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Please do. I would definitely like to see some low light pics from release models over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Had a play with one in store here in Sydney but they had it fixed to the display shelf so couldn't mess around with the camera unfortunately. My M7 has the purple camera issue so is awful in low light anyway. I love the aesthetics of the phone even if it's largely the same as the last 2 iterations, HTC were onto a winner with that design and its still the best looking phone IMO.

Anyone got any real world stats on battery life yet? My M7 can barely struggle through 12 hours on power saver (not the extreme one) and with only a little over an hour of screen time. Once the battery dips below 20% it plummets like a rock and dies shortly after.

The loudspeakers on my M7 are abysmal too, very quiet compared to my housemates iPhones. M9 Boomsound seemed decent enough from playing a couple of YouTube vids in store.

Have mentioned it before but an upgrade from M7 to M9 is definately worthwhile, however I can't see any sense in upgrading from an M8 to an M9.
    I upgraded from M7 to M8 and it is a fairly big upgrade, though I miss the beats audio. Speakers in M8 are still good though. Only thing that would tempt me to go for an M9 would be a bigger battery but that didn't happen. Hopefully the M10 will be a significant improvement overall but I don't see any major tech advances happening in the mobile market this year.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Had a play with one in store here in Sydney but they had it fixed to the display shelf so couldn't mess around with the camera unfortunately. My M7 has the purple camera issue so is awful in low light anyway. I love the aesthetics of the phone even if it's largely the same as the last 2 iterations, HTC were onto a winner with that design and its still the best looking phone IMO.

Anyone got any real world stats on battery life yet? My M7 can barely struggle through 12 hours on power saver (not the extreme one) and with only a little over an hour of screen time. Once the battery dips below 20% it plummets like a rock and dies shortly after.

The loudspeakers on my M7 are abysmal too, very quiet compared to my housemates iPhones. M9 Boomsound seemed decent enough from playing a couple of YouTube vids in store.

Are you sure you have an M7, and not some cheap Chinese knock off? Purple tint, one hour sot, and terrible speakers? I would have had it replaced under warranty a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Are you sure you have an M7, and not some cheap Chinese knock off? Purple tint, one hour sot, and terrible speakers? I would have had it replaced under warranty a long time ago.

Yeah I've had it around 2 years now I'd say. Used to get about 4 hours screen time on auto brightness and I work outdoors in Australia so screen used to be pretty lit up. Battery life is gone to **** these days though. Listening with headphones provides great sound but the speakers themselves I find pretty poor. These and purple tint were issues that developed gradually over the last 2 years. Still a great phone but showing its age a bit now.

Edit: Played around with the M9 camera in another store. Auto focus was thrown a bit by the bright lights but camera itself seems fine when manually tapping to focus. I reckon it'd take perfectly fine shots in real world surroundings. Gunmetal version is gorgeous except for the big IR blaster strip. Pity since its a feature that could have been dropped. I've never once made use of the M7 ir blaster over the last 2 years!

Testament1 wrote: »
    Yeah I've had it around 2 years now I'd say. Used to get about 4 hours screen time on auto brightness and I work outdoors in Australia so screen used to be pretty lit up. Battery life is gone to **** these days though. Listening with headphones provides great sound but the speakers themselves I find pretty poor. These and purple tint were issues that developed gradually over the last 2 years. Still a great phone but showing its age a bit now.

Edit: Played around with the M9 camera in another store. Auto focus was thrown a bit by the bright lights but camera itself seems fine when manually tapping to focus. I reckon it'd take perfectly fine shots in real world surroundings. Gunmetal version is gorgeous except for the big IR blaster strip. Pity since its a feature that could have been dropped. I've never once made use of the M7 ir blaster over the last 2 years!

You should seriously get your device replaced under warranty for purple tint, before your warranty runs out.

Maybe HTC could bring out a new device for you with removed features that you don't use.....plenty of us do use the IR blaster!

Maybe HTC could bring out a new device for you with removed features that you don't use.....plenty of us do use the IR blaster!

I'll get onto them about it haha. I never had any use for it but different strokes for different folks and all that.

Just ordered M9 on vodafone. At €679, it's pretty damn steep, but oh well.

Delivery should be tomorrow.

Just ordered M9 on vodafone. At €679, it's pretty damn steep, but oh well.

Delivery should be tomorrow.

Please let us know how you get on, specifically how decent the camera is in low lightish situations and what the screen looks like. Anandtech and others said it was calibrated poorly and looked too cold.

Camera shootout done today between M9, S6 and IP6.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s6-camera-comparison-versus-htc-one-m9-iphone-6/

I'm happy enough with the M9 results. Not a terrible camera by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Flaccus wrote: »
    Please let us know how you get on, specifically how decent the camera is in low lightish situations and what the screen looks like. Anandtech and others said it was calibrated poorly and looked too cold.

Let me know what software release you have

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Let me know what software release you have

I don't actually have the M9 :D

I am in a holding pattern at the moment. Can't decide on anything.

Vodafone stuffed up my order, so just went into a store and picked up earlier on. First impressions are good, screen colour is a little greenish, but I know this can often be the glue.

Comes with 1.32.161.7 on it, with an update available. Unsure whether I'll update until I know the situation with s-off.

Vodafone stuffed up my order, so just went into a store and picked up earlier on. First impressions are good, screen colour is a little greenish, but I know this can often be the glue.

Comes with 1.32.161.7 on it, with an update available. Unsure whether I'll update until I know the situation with s-off.

s-off ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

s-off ?

google?

Gunmetal grey or Silver on gold ?

I like the silver on gold but not sure if the gold is too blingy.
    The grey looks too dark.

I wonder which looks better in the flesh ?
    Is there any difference to the finish between the 2 in terms of feel in your hand ?
    Would the grey hold up better to wear and tear, scratches I wonder ?

I am asking this now because three are making me a very decent offer to stay with them and upgrade. So the S6 is off the cards.

????

s-off allows you to flash different firmware, among other things. Some advantages of this on the M8 were fully converting to GPE, or flashing the Harman Kardon audio mod.

s-off allows you to flash different firmware, among other things. Some advantages of this on the M8 were fully converting to GPE, or flashing the Harman Kardon audio mod.

That sounds pretty cool.

I'm leaning to the M9 now. The price is right and the M9 in my opinion performed ok on the camera shootout on Cnet the other day.

The S6 was a contender, but the price, worried about that back glass, touchwiz and some of the bloatware I don't like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

That sounds pretty cool.

I'm leaning to the M9 now. The price is right and the M9 in my opinion performed ok on the camera shootout on Cnet the other day.

The S6 was a contender, but the price, worried about that back glass, touchwiz and some of the bloatware I don't like :(

Just remember that you'll only get a GPE edition/conversion if they release one. Although you can go with something like Cyanogen mod. Any non sense ROM will have lower camera quality.

Gunmetal grey or Silver on gold ?

I like the silver on gold but not sure if the gold is too blingy.
    The grey looks too dark.

I wonder which looks better in the flesh ?
    Is there any difference to the finish between the 2 in terms of feel in your hand ?
    Would the grey hold up better to wear and tear, scratches I wonder ?

I am asking this now because three are making me a very decent offer to stay with them and upgrade. So the S6 is off the cards.

I played it safe and went Grey. It almost looks like it has a brownish hue in the light. I would have been happy with either though, the gold on the silver looks a lot nicer in person than in photos/videos.

I can't tell much difference between the two in the hand, M9 feels great though. I've heard some people say it feels like plastic, but don't get that impression.

I still find myself reaching to the top for the power button on the few occasions I use it. Will take a bit of getting used to having it on the side. More logical location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Pre-ordered the M9 on Three with carphone warehouse, went to collect it on my break and Three can't sell the phone today, they f**ked up big time, none of their stores are able to sell the M9 today. Apparently they didn't upload the M9 to the database or something along those lines. Have to wait until tomorrow to get my hands on it!

They had it right in front of me too, so close to taking it and running!

I played it safe and went Grey. It almost looks like it has a brownish hue in the light. I would have been happy with either though, the gold on the silver looks a lot nicer in person than in photos/videos.

I can't tell much difference between the two in the hand, M9 feels great though. I've heard some people say it feels like plastic, but don't get that impression.

I still find myself reaching to the top for the power button on the few occasions I use it. Will take a bit of getting used to having it on the side. More logical location though.

Thanks. Am leaning towards the silver.
    Have you taken a couple of pics yet to see if the camera overexposes in daylight ? And does the video have that nasty thing where it keeps refocusing ?

They said the rear camera has saphire glass. None of the nasty plastic cover we got last year on the M8 which scratched up.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Am leaning towards the silver.
    Have you taken a couple of pics yet to see if the camera overexposes in daylight ? And does the video have that nasty thing where it keeps refocusing ?

Only had a very quick play with the cam, will do some more a bit later. It seems fine, but pretty sure the OTA I'm currently resisting improves it quite a bit :D

Advertisement