Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cheese course thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've just realised there's halloumi in there too.

You could start with a semi-soft like Port Salut or St. Paulin. Both gorgeous, creamy, very mild cheeses.

For a fully soft, I'd start with brie. It's milder than camembert. The most important thing with any cheese, though, is to take it out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before you plan to eat it. A chilled brie will taste of nothing at all.

I stayed with an ex's cousin in France years ago and they didn't keep their cheese in the fridge at all, ever.

Tried Port Salut this evening...loved it!!

I'll be trying your other recommendations during the week, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't think I've ever met a cheese I didn't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I enjoy a lot of cheeses that other people don't like. There are a couple I don't much care for - processed cheeses and Feta, for example.

I once found one that I really disliked: St. Nectaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This thread has me craving cheese. Heading to dunnes later. Might get one nice cheese, bits to go with it and wine. Any Recommendations?

I'll skip supper altogether and have a cheesy binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scipio_Hib

I love a good creamy goat's cheese, also some sheep's cheeses are also worth a sniff.

My current favourite at the moment is Bellingham Blue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I just had a Laughing Cow triangle (the cheese course after my lunch salad).

I love posh cheese, but sometimes I can't resist an Easi Single or a Laughing Cow.

Scipio_Hib wrote: »
    My current favourite at the moment is Bellingham Blue!
    It's often sold under-ripe. When you get a properly-matured one, it's wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have - on that same trip to France I mentioned earlier we ate in a restaurant whose specialty was a nameless cheese they made by pressing the end bits/scraps of all the other cheeses they served into a terrine mould. It had a smell that would make a maggot's eyes water and a taste to match. Beyond gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have - on that same trip to France I mentioned earlier we ate in a restaurant whose specialty was a nameless cheese they made by pressing the end bits/scraps of all the other cheeses they served into a terrine mould. It had a smell that would make a maggot's eyes water and a taste to match. Beyond gross.

Ditto, have had similar. Loads of cheeses melted together with random nuts and fruit pushed into it.

I don't want to rule out all cheeses with "stuff" added, because I like wensleydale with cranberry, and the various boursin... but some cheeses with things stuck in them can be mega-dodgy, so I'm wariest of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't want to rule out all cheeses with "stuff" added, because I like wensleydale with cranberry, and the various boursin...

Sheridan's do a Coolea with cumin seeds in it. It's amazing.

• Advertisement

I don't want to rule out all cheeses with "stuff" added, because I like wensleydale with cranberry, and the various boursin... but some cheeses with things stuck in them can be mega-dodgy, so I'm wariest of those.
    I'm something of a purist with cheese: don't put stuff in it. Except for Wensleydale with cranberries: that's good, whereas plain Wensleydale is merely okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not just Sheridans :-)
    Killeens (Galway) do a really nice cumin Gouda as well bit more cumin in it - but usually a bit younger-
    Either go great with stout -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

quaalude wrote: »
    I just had a Laughing Cow triangle (the cheese course after my lunch salad).

I love posh cheese, but sometimes I can't resist an Easi Single or a Laughing Cow.

all cheeses welcome here;)
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Not just Sheridans :-)
    Killeens (Galway) do a really nice cumin Gouda as well bit more cumin in it - but usually a bit younger-
    Either go great with stout -

thanks guys- i'm taking notes :p

Ok I wouldn't like that! God that sounds rank!

Reminds me of this classic from Les Bronzés font du ski:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x99zkt_les-bronzes-mangent-a-la-montagne_fun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I love cheese, certain types. Don't like the Dutch stuff, too bland.

Love cheese to have a TASTE! So I hunt and hunt for the best extra mature or vintage cheddar around. It has to crumble to pass my test. If it slices good it is not mature enough! Oh the salty tang is just so good. Best yet is vintage Rathdaragh in Lidl. Well done Lidl!

Like the St. Agur blue cheese, Port Salut, Compte, (love the nutty flavour and creamy texture) and I like a really good and salty Feta.

I haven't tried reblochon here but will make a tartiflette one day. Had it in a little village in France and OMG. Homemade by the owner. On the list for Christmas. Anyone made it?

Have I mentioned that I like good flavoured cheese?

So many cheeses, so little time!

Oh and BTW, this is a good site about all the different cheeses that abound. Handy for a quick idea of what you might see and haven't a clue about.... like me sometimes!

http://www.cheese.com/alphabetical/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't like the Dutch stuff, too bland.
    That's because you've never tried the real stuff ... what you get here are mainly young immature Dutch cheeses, which are quite rubbery and bland as you say, but it changes a lot once it matures.

There are several levels of maturity ... jong (young), jong belegen (young mature), belegen (mature), extra belegen (extra mature), oud (old!) and finally brokkelkaas which is hard and crumbly with clearly visible salt crystals in it. Each of these is usually available as a factory produced version or as "boerenkaas" (farmers' cheese). My own favourite would be an extra belegen boerenkaas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Alun wrote: »
    That's because you've never tried the real stuff ... what you get here are mainly young immature Dutch cheeses, which are quite rubbery and bland as you say, but it changes a lot once it matures.

There are several levels of maturity ... jong (young), jong belegen (young mature), belegen (mature), extra belegen (extra mature), oud (old!) and finally brokkelkaas which is hard and crumbly with clearly visible salt crystals in it. Each of these is usually available as a factory produced version or as "boerenkaas" (farmers' cheese). My own favourite would be an extra belegen boerenkaas.

Wow, thanks for that info.

Where would I get to buy the Brokkelkaas in Dublin do you know?

I will give everything a chance. Thanks for the great information there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where would I get to buy the Brokkelkaas in Dublin do you know?
    I doubt you'd find it, but Sheridans would be the only place I'd guess. They might not have heard of it, but a good "oud" cheese would get close. The problem is at that age it's rock hard and very difficult to cut, so would usually be grated and used for gratins and the like.

You sometimes see a commercially made branded old cheese called "Old Amsterdam" here, even in supermarkets, that'd give you an idea of what a true "oude kaas" would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I did try blue cheese with pear, and I made some kind of creamy sauce for steak with only a tiny bit of blue added and I still couldn't stomach it! I think I'm a lost cause with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

pampootie wrote: »
    I did try blue cheese with pear, and I made some kind of creamy sauce for steak with only a tiny bit of blue added and I still couldn't stomach it! I think I'm a lost cause with it

there's plenty more cheese out there besides blue- it's obviously not for you I guess. Blue cheese with pear is a special combo for me, delicious on a pear and onion tart too. Funny how even in the steak sauce, you didn't take to it- maybe stick to the milder cheeses so

• Advertisement

I love cheese, certain types. Don't like the Dutch stuff, too bland.

Love cheese to have a TASTE! So I hunt and hunt for the best extra mature or vintage cheddar around. It has to crumble to pass my test. If it slices good it is not mature enough! Oh the salty tang is just so good. Best yet is vintage Rathdaragh in Lidl. Well done Lidl!

Like the St. Agur blue cheese, Port Salut, Compte, (love the nutty flavour and creamy texture) and I like a really good and salty Feta.

I haven't tried reblochon here but will make a tartiflette one day. Had it in a little village in France and OMG. Homemade by the owner. On the list for Christmas. Anyone made it?

Have I mentioned that I like good flavoured cheese?

So many cheeses, so little time!

Oh and BTW, this is a good site about all the different cheeses that abound. Handy for a quick idea of what you might see and haven't a clue about.... like me sometimes!

http://www.cheese.com/alphabetical/
    I make tartiflette regularly in the autumn and winter. It's so moreish! It's very easy to make to. If you can read French, look on the website Marmiton or just google and you'll find lots of recipes.

pampootie wrote: »

Can depend on the blue - Danish blue (even good stuff and yes it does exist )
    Is just too strong for me- start with a mild one -I love crozier blue but even that can be very blue - maybe a blue Brie

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Alun wrote: »
    I doubt you'd find it, but Sheridans would be the only place I'd guess. They might not have heard of it, but a good "oud" cheese would get close. The problem is at that age it's rock hard and very difficult to cut, so would usually be grated and used for gratins and the like.

You sometimes see a commercially made branded old cheese called "Old Amsterdam" here, even in supermarkets, that'd give you an idea of what a true "oude kaas" would be like.

Coolea - or Wilma's (both good Irish farmhouse Gouda styles)
    "Young mature" around 6 months
    Mature. Around 9 months
    Extra mature around 18 months
    Old -ancient -xtra xtra xtra mature about 3 years - (I've got one left ) caramel sweet- dry, lovely ,don't use it just in cooking it's too good -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was given a gift of some goats cheese last night. I wouldn't be a big fan of eating it on its own. Any suggestions for what I can do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Something quick and tasty would be spread on well toasted (crispy) bread and drizzled with honey then under the grill for a bit.

Spare goat cheese... Bake it dotted on a sheet of pastry with some cooked beetroot, an onion and whatever other roasted veg you have lying around. A few blobs of a good pesto on top. Drool.

Goat cheese and broccoli quiche or omelette is delicious as well.

Last one! Any cooked pasta. Goat cheese, cherry tomato and crispy bacon stirred in is quick and yummy.

Faith wrote: »
    I was given a gift of some goats cheese last night. I wouldn't be a big fan of eating it on its own. Any suggestions for what I can do with it?

Here's my friend Nicola's tried and tested goat cheese & cherry clafoutis recipe - it's fabulous.
    She says "...this also works well with any kind of ripe plums (especially green gauges) and blackberries aren't bad either. I think nectarines or peaches might work too."

Goat's cheese & cherry clafoutis. Serves 6.

300-500 grams fresh cherries pitted
    150g mild goats cheese.
    125g caster sugar (you can reduces this a bit - but not too much).
    4 medium eggs
    175g ground almonds
    1/2 vanilla pod seeds (or a teaspoon of good vanilla extract)
    10g soften butter to grease
    Icing sugar to dust

Pre-heat oven to 190c.
    Grease a 30cm dish.
    Sprinkle cherries across bottom of dish.
    Blend the goats cheese, sugar, eggs, ground almonds, vanilla.
    Pour the mix over the cherries.
    Bake for 20-25 mins until risen & golden (sometimes it takes longer for no apparent reason!)
    Serve warm dusted with icing sugar & cream.

Qaalude, what does that taste like? I've made clafoutis before and it was a dessert, but what's the goat cheese adding to it?

Qaalude, what does that taste like? I've made clafoutis before and it was a dessert, but what's the goat cheese adding to it?

I've only ever had this clafoutis, I've never had a non-goats cheese clafoutis so I've nothing to compare it with, sorry!
    I'd love to try another, but never see it on the menu anywhere.
    The friend who passed along the recipe goes to France often and loves authentic French food, and she swears by this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I picked up a camembert from M&S last week. It stank out the fridge, even though it wasn't open yet. It was really off-putting and I was convinced there was something wrong with it.

Then I baked it and dipped in some crusty bread with cranberry sauce on the side. My god it was good! No trace of the pungent smell once baked. I had half of the wheel to myself and only stopped because I had to leave the house.

It was a great surprise :)

Advertisement