Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cheese course thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I now remembered a cheese I would treat myself with when I was still living in Germany, called Roche Baron.

A mild, creamy, runny blue cheese. Don't ask me how I found out but that cheese on strong German sourdough and topped with blueberry jam or compote - absolutely indesricbeable and pure cheesey heaven. But I've never seen it around in Ireland, and due to it's runny nature it needs to be kept cool, so I could never ask my mom to send one in her "care packets".

When I was in the Netherlands recently, I had some extra-mature Old Amsterdam. It wasn't cut or sliced, but shaved of the wheel. It was actually quite sweet and a bit dry, but with amazing aromas.

Oh, and forgot to mention the most curious cheese I ever had : Brunost, Norwegian caramelised cheese. Sugary-sweet, rather sticky cheese. Highly unusual, but I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Shenshen wrote: »
    I now remembered a cheese I would treat myself with when I was still living in Germany, called Roche Baron.

A mild, creamy, runny blue cheese. Don't ask me how I found out but that cheese on strong German sourdough and topped with blueberry jam or compote - absolutely indesricbeable and pure cheesey heaven. But I've never seen it around in Ireland, and due to it's runny nature it needs to be kept cool, so I could never ask my mom to send one in her "care packets".

When I was in the Netherlands recently, I had some extra-mature Old Amsterdam. It wasn't cut or sliced, but shaved of the wheel. It was actually quite sweet and a bit dry, but with amazing aromas.

See if you can get your hands on really mature ,mature coolea . (2 years plus) similar sort to old Amsterdam - I can see the worth in shaving it - really brittle awkward to slice ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh, and forgot to mention the most curious cheese I ever had : Brunost, Norwegian caramelised cheese. Sugary-sweet, rather sticky cheese. Highly unusual, but I really liked it.

We have a few packets of that at home for the house-Norwegian. It comes in different strengths and is awesome on warm bread or fresh waffles with a little butter. Oh, and the thinner the slices of it the better, one of these comes in very handy.

cheese_slicer_beech.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok, starting to think about my Easter cheese.... I skip the chocolate egg, and go for the cheese instead after dinner.

So far, It'll be
    -Coolea Mature
    -Crozier Blue
    -Vacherin

Missing a goat cheese... any suggestions? Or should I keep it to those three stunners. Hmm. Less is more?

Must find a few fruits to go with them too. I don't like the seedy/furry texture of figs, and pears are not in season yet. Might have to stick to dried fruit.

Carlow cheeses do a goats Tomme thats bloody good - finding it could be an issue -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Carlow cheeses do a goats Tomme thats bloody good - finding it could be an issue -

Thanks, I'll give them a buzz and see where they supply in Cork.

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll give them a buzz and see where they supply in Cork.

Well i can answer that for you - me -
    But I don't have any left - I could try get a couple of rounds for the weekend though -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I used to dislike blue cheeses, too, but recently can't get enough of Roquefort for some reason.

I really like Lidl's Tomme de Savoie, and would never say no to Appenzeller or to Gubeen.
    I love roquefort, but I even prefer a blue cheese called St Agur. It has a similar flavour to roquefort, but it's creamier. I love it!

Ok, starting to think about my Easter cheese.... I skip the chocolate egg, and go for the cheese instead after dinner.

So far, It'll be
    -Coolea Mature
    -Crozier Blue
    -Vacherin

Missing a goat cheese... any suggestions? Or should I keep it to those three stunners. Hmm. Less is more?

Must find a few fruits to go with them too. I don't like the seedy/furry texture of figs, and pears are not in season yet. Might have to stick to dried fruit.

Grapes.
    For me, grapes and cheese have always been inseparable.

I love roquefort, but I even prefer a blue cheese called St Agur. It has a similar flavour to roquefort, but it's creamier. I love it!

I've heard of it, and I'm sure I've seen it around. Next time I spot it, I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know if Chaumes is available somewhere in Cork? It's not too dissimilar to Port Salut, but packs much more of a punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

lywzdlm.jpg

uberalex wrote: »

I'm liking the wheel but am willing to bet it'll cause arguments -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Lack of local ones, Looks like an american wheel. Pepperjack...

Easter cheesing was bloomin delicious! Got a very nice old coolea, a goat's brie (Thanks Marckcheese! ) and some cashel blue.

Good few German ones on there - Butterkaese and Limburger for example.

Unfortunately, you can't get either here. I miss Limburger, a real stinky, sticky cheese but very good with some sliced onion and a drop of vinegar.

Lack of local ones, Looks like an american wheel. Pepperjack...

Easter cheesing was bloomin delicious! Got a very nice old coolea, a goat's brie (Thanks Marckcheese! ) and some cashel blue.

That 3 year old coolea is the bomb - and not as dried out as I thought it might be -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Supervalu smoked Gubbeen- good taste, slightly crumbly which i like - other Gubbeens can be a bit too spongy

BTW- anyone come across The Little Milk Company cheeses at all- my local supermarket isn't currently stocking them- their Brie is one of the best i've had?

http://www.thelittlemilkcompany.ie

Supervalu smoked Gubbeen- good taste, slightly crumbly which i like - other Gubbeens can be a bit too spongy

BTW- anyone come across The Little Milk Company cheeses at all- my local supermarket isn't currently stocking them- their Brie is one of the best i've had?

http://www.thelittlemilkcompany.ie

Gubbeen is a farm in west cork - they make a washed rind cheese and a smoked cheese - a couple of different sizes and an aged cheese in both -
    Little milk company are a group of organic dairy farmers - range of cheese makers making a range of cheeses for them - brewers gold is a stinky soft cheese -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elmpark

mmmm cheese. Great thread. My faves:

- hard - aged comte, cantal, a daycent cheddar
    - soft - brie de meaux, vacherin, epoisses, delice de bourgogne
    - blue - roquefort, fourme d'ambert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I was in Aldi the other day and got two little truckle thingies. Got a mature cheddar which was divine and a Wensleydale with cranberries which I didn't like at all, it was horribly sweet. I couldn't swallow it as it was too sweet.

Never tried blue cheese as the smell always puts me off, does it taste as bad as it smells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Were they the truckles in wax? I got the Wensleydale with cranberry one as well but I really liked it. Maybe this should go on the weird food combinations thread but I adore it crumbled over fresh popped popcorn. :o

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Were they the truckles in wax? I got the Wensleydale with cranberry one as well but I really liked it. Maybe this should go on the weird food combinations thread but I adore it crumbled over fresh popped popcorn. :o
    Yeah that was it. These https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/mon-30-mar/products-detail-page/ps/p/cheese-truckle/

Popcorn and cheese? :eek: Don't think I could stomach that.....kinda like popcorn and chocolate.....don't think I could stomach that either. :o

I was in Aldi the other day and got two little truckle thingies. Got a mature cheddar which was divine and a Wensleydale with cranberries which I didn't like at all, it was horribly sweet. I couldn't swallow it as it was too sweet.

Never tried blue cheese as the smell always puts me off, does it taste as bad as it smells?

While I really like Wensleydale, I'm not sold on the ones with fruit in them. Too fruity, not enough cheesy.

Blue cheese is a bit of an aquired taste to me. They taste very strong, and the taste of the blue mould is not like anything else you'd normally eat. If you want to try them, I would suggest going for a soft, mild one first, just to see. I still can't really face Stilton.

Not a fan of things stuck in my cheese either... Just gimme the cheese!

On blue, cashel was the one i started with. Mild, creamy, irish.

Cracker. Thin thin thin bit of blue cheese, sliver of pear on it. (Blue is super-salty, i like it with a contrast). That'll get ya hooked!

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas :) I don't usually like pears but might pick one up and get that blue cheese pwrple recommend and try it maybe.

I got a Gouda wedge in Aldi today, looks and smells nice, pain in the rear end to cut. Need to let it get to room temp before attempting to cut it.

Would love some suggestions for other cheeses too. I love cheddar, its my fave, esp if it has a slightly strong taste too.

I've never really been adventurous with cheese to be honest, growing up it was always the easi singles, or other sliced cheese or just regular cheddar, and I always felt overwhelmed looking at other cheeses cos there is such a variety I never know what to go for or what to try.

Sounds ridiculous but I sometimes feel intimidated when looking at the cheese section because there's such a vast choice and I don't know anything about most of them so I always get overwhelmed and end up not getting anything :o

If you like strong cheddat, give Gruyere or Appenzeller a try.

They have this strong, slighly sweet taste you would get from a good, aged cheddar, but different textures.

Or if you want to try one of the soft ones, a nice Brie de Meaux? Make sure it's nice and runny - if it holds its shape, it's no good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Striped, if you like strong cheddar you really should try Heagerty's cheddar, Moss field or Glebe Brethan - all Irish and all strong, mature cheddar style cheeses. You will need to go to a cheese shop or a supermarket with a very good Irish cheese selection.

Ireland has world class artisan cheeses to offer in many different styles.
    I would urge anyone who wants to explore cheese to start with Irish cheese. It's on our doorstep and has come a long way in 20 years - it deserves the support of people into cheese.

By all means, try imported cheese. Compare and contrast. But please, please if making up a cheese board, make it predominantly Irish.

Don't be intimidated by cheese counters. Tell them what you like and they will advise and give you tasters.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look them up and see what, if any I can find locally.

I will be in Dublin next week in Lucan, is there anywhere near there (won't be in liffey valley though sadly) that I might pick up some of these does anyone know?

I was in tesco this evening and picked up this cheese, hope its nice :)http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254735185

My OH loves cheese so once a fortnight I'll buy our favourite cheeses, and then one new one that we don't know. If we like it, we keep a note of the name. That's how we discover new cheeses!
    There is so much choice here in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just discovered this thread.

For me, rule 1 is plain bread rather than crackers. I don't want flavour interference.

Rule 2 is to have a mix of cheeses, and take a little of each. My cheeseboard would, at a minimum, have one hard cheese, one creamy soft one, one goat's cheese, and a blue cheese.

Many of the cheeses I like have already been mentioned but, unless I blinked, I think nobody suggested Camembert, one of the basics of French cheeseboards. Two other cheeses from Normandy deserve a mention: Livarot and Pont l'Eveque (both very strong, but I love them).

Stilton is the most unpredictable cheese. Under-ripe, it can be very disappointing. Most of the good Stilton I have bought was in pots.

If you are not accustomed to blue cheese, one way to prepare your palate for it is to use it in a sauce. That way, you are not put off by the veining, and you get the richness of the flavour. Great with ham or bacon.

• Advertisement

Just discovered this thread.

For me, rule 1 is plain bread rather than crackers. I don't want flavour interference.

Rule 2 is to have a mix of cheeses, and take a little of each. My cheeseboard would, at a minimum, have one hard cheese, one creamy soft one, one goat's cheese, and a blue cheese.

Many of the cheeses I like have already been mentioned but, unless I blinked, I think nobody suggested Camembert, one of the basics of French cheeseboards. Two other cheeses from Normandy deserve a mention: Livarot and Pont l'Eveque (both very strong, but I love them).

Stilton is the most unpredictable cheese. Under-ripe, it can be very disappointing. Most of the good Stilton I have bought was in pots.

If you are not accustomed to blue cheese, one way to prepare your palate for it is to use it in a sauce. That way, you are not put off by the veining, and you get the richness of the flavour. Great with ham or bacon.

Oh I love Pont l'Eveque, I was introduced to it by a visiting Normand, along with a jar of confiture du lait, yum! :)

Advertisement