Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poster/mod discussions in real life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Boards is way too big. I'd reckon 99% of social sites have moderators and admins all over the shop at times. It'd be very rare a purely social forum would all be contained by a few people working in a building.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I suppose, I didn't realise mods were at an international level and scattered around the place. I considered in my head that perhaps work was done by mods at boards HQ as well as home, so maybe a spare room at HQ where it would be facilitated on a day that a relevant mod is there , like a doctors appointment.But then again I know nothing about the process so forgive my ignorance.

There's nothing to forgive, it's always interesting to have discussions like these. Many people are probably unfamiliar with a lot of what goes on in the background on Boards, so threads like this are a good opportunity to give a bit more detail on stuff that we probably take for granted and don't even think about any more. Boards HQ is an office in Dublin (they've recently moved to a new on), but the vast majority of mods (of which there are over 600) will probably never set foot in it because there's no real need to. A recent event in the office meant that there were a good few mods there, but it's not convenient for many people so there'll only ever be a small percentage of mods who'll have seen the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Zaph wrote: »
    There's nothing to forgive, it's always interesting to have discussions like these. Many people are probably unfamiliar with a lot of what goes on in the background on Boards, so threads like this are a good opportunity to give a bit more detail on stuff that we probably take for granted and don't even think about any more. Boards HQ is an office in Dublin (they've recently moved to a new on[/b)), but the vast majority of mods (of which there are over 600) will probably never set foot in it because there's no real need to. A recent event in the office meant that there were a good few mods there, but it's not convenient for many people so there'll only ever be a small percentage of mods who'll have seen the office.

Top secret place in an old volcano? :D

Oh oh oh

Guided tours!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A recent pic of Dav in the new office...

Blofeldpleasance67.jpg

In all seriousness though, as a mod I give a lot of my spare time to boards - but at times that are mostly convenient to me. But with real life matters such as family & job I have hardly any time to scratch myself as it is. To have to schedule time to meet with disgruntled posters would just not be possible & in no way desirable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A recent pic of Dav in the new office...
    Whose lap is he sitting in?

• Advertisement

That new chap - Seán - I think. :pac:

* Expects to be de-modded shortly *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

When I was modding a forum I banned a troublesome poster who then went on to send me a very detailed PM about where I live, my name, that he knew I was in my house at the time and that he was outside. I ran down the stairs with my grand father's wooden cane in hand ready for fisticuffs.

Turns out it was my brother taking the piss.

****er.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have on a few occasions. It was very amicable and wasn't arranged, i.e. we bumped into each other and talked about it. It's a bit different on the Cycling forum when half the forum meets each other in real life, at races and other cycling events.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zaph wrote: »
    Many people are probably unfamiliar with a lot of what goes on in the background on Boards...but the vast majority of mods (of which there are over 600) will probably never set foot in it because there's no real need to.

The rumour is that back in January, 2014 a rogue mod broke into boards HQ and released all the hamsters from their wheels. That caused this to happen:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88466142

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88466306#post88466306

Ever since then we've been GPS chipped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The rumour is that back in January, 2014 a rogue mod broke into boards HQ and released all the hamsters from their wheels. That caused this to happen:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88466142

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88466306#post88466306

You got it wrong; In 2004, a crack admin unit was sent to prison by Dav for mod actions they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from the maximum-security stockade of Prison to the Black Internet underground. Today, still wanted by Boards.ie they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The Dev Team!

Que music!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Nody wrote: »
    Que music!

As soon as I started reading that the music started playing in my head - damn you Nody! We need to meet to discuss this. Over pints. With hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I met a guy at a beers who I had recently banned. We had right craic over a few pints, very nice guy.

At another beers, The Master took great delight in introducing me to a poster which had many issues with me. She turned out to be great too, after a 20 minute bollocking :p

So, if anyone wants to meet me for pints and they are paying, I'm there :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Which is handy if you find a Mod lost on the streets, your local vet will be able to tell you where it lives..

..and clip their nails.

Remember kids, a Mod isn't just for Christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I met a guy at a beers who I had recently banned. We had right craic over a few pints, very nice guy.

At another beers, The Master took great delight in introducing me to a poster which had many issues with me. She turned out to be great too, after a 20 minute bollocking :p

So, if anyone wants to meet me for pints and they are paying, I'm there :D

Any excuse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

P_1 wrote: »
    Any excuse :p

Some say he bans people just to try and get them to meet for drinks...

Not me though. I don't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I've met a few people i've banned at beers..tbh they knew why they had been banned and it was grand.

I've had people texting me about why i banned them or decisions other mods have made...They have politely been told to **** right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

RuggieBear wrote: »
    I've met a few people i've banned at beers..tbh they knew why they had been banned and it was grand.

I've had people texting me about why i banned them or decisions other mods have made...They have politely been told to **** right off.

How are they getting your number?! Are they people you already know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

libelula wrote: »
    How are they getting your number?! Are they people you already know?
    yep, people i'd already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I remember meeting a chap at a boards beers who turned out to be a guy I banned permanently from the forum I modded at the time. He turned out to be very sound. I found that a lot of people talked a good game on PM but when you meet them in the real world they don't tend to be as aggressive. Maybe I was lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just wondering, If you perma ban someone and then as Gandalf says above you meet the person in real life and find them sound, would any of you unban them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ken wrote: »
    Just wondering, If you perma ban someone and then as Gandalf says above you meet the person in real life and find them sound, would any of you unban them?

Genuine, sincere apologies can go a long way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Personally, no. I wouldn't be interested in discussing it IRL. If they come back after a while and pm me online, then yes I'd always consider it. But my real life time is for real life.

I didn't unban them. If they have proven themselves on other forums on the site then you would of course consider unbanning them but they would have to prove that the behaviour they got censured for has abated.

One of the pale versions of a mod that took over from my after I finished did unban him. I think he did eventually get site banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

do you often get proper abuse and threats from the bans etc? any particularly colourful language you've come across? how far does a typical poster take it, that's what I wonder.

do you often get proper abuse and threats from the bans etc? any particularly colourful language you've come across? how far does a typical poster take it, that's what I wonder.

When I modded politics I knew I wasn't doing my job right if I didn't get a least one PM a week calling me a Nazi :D

I've rarely had outright abuse thrown at me. Mostly it is childish, petty digs that disgruntled posters make in PMs.

I've rarely had outright abuse thrown at me. Mostly it is childish, petty digs that disgruntled posters make in PMs.

You're not a real dub. If you lived in the city you would be but you're in the northern area.
    Like that? :pac:

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Has anyone ever followed through and turned up at the office or at any of the various beers?
    Gordon wrote: »
    I believe both have happened, but refer to others for details.

If I remember correctly once or twice people have buzzed at the door at our previous office where we shared with Daft & The Journal looking to come in to 'discuss' their ban or what someone was saying about them on the site. They were never allowed inside the front door though. Now that we are no longer in that building the staff there can tell them we are no longer there and we haven't publicised our new address yet so we're safe enough. For now!

I'm trying to imagine why possesses someone to actually go down in person to the office to complain over a ban.
    I can completely understand emailing the hello address. That's understandable to me. But to actually go down and winge about it. Didn't happen to get it on a security camera with sound did you?

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Advertisement