Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what happened this time?

Options
  • 14-01-2014 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

You go all year with no outages and then 2 come along within 10 days.

So what happened today?

First of all, it wasn't me! :D

One of the database slaves had a major failure with it's hard disks. Before anyone asks, yes they were in RAID (1 to be exact), but both disks failed. It's rare that your redundancy fails at the same time as the main device, but not unheard of.

We all probably noticed the slow down around lunch time as the knock on effects of the disks dying. At 14:30 one of our sys admins was in his car on the way out to Digiweb to see what was wrong. At 15:00, we took the site offline as it was clear that we were risking data loss and corruption if we continued to let the database machines get out of sync.

After a quick investigation, we realised that if we didn't allow posting, people could still browse Boards, so we got busy making the site Read Only and set that live whilst Chris went about rebuilding the server with new hard disks.

So here we are at 5pm and work is ongoing. You can read this, but can't reply yet, but we wanted to let you know what's going on with as much detail as possible.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Is a Thank not a write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've found that non-mods can still send PM's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do threads all look locked to ordinary users?

I've had a reported post saying "Why is this thread locked???can you re open it please this applies to me yet again"

Due to the no-text-only-emails "feature" (grr), I cannot go directly to the thread that's referred to. But am wondering if that's what really happened ... and if so, que lots of reported posts :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

They're not locked, the person will get a message telling them they can't post because of the problem if they try.

I've had to close some forums manually because they have weird permissions, so that will say "forum is closed for posting" but that'll all be switched back when we're live again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dav wrote: »
    One of the database slaves had a major failure

This is why slavery has largely been abolished throughout the world, it's just not damned reliable enough. I recommend getting in some paid workers, yes it costs in the long run, but it balances out with reliability...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How old was the database server/drives?

Could one say they were twelve years a slave?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

How old was the database server/drives?

Could one say they were twelve years a slave?

Boooooo :pac:
    Is a Thank not a write?

My guess on this is a thank is a write but writes aren't really a problem...on a small scale. The problem would be with a slave out of action you'd massively load the other slave(s?) leading to slowdowns, strange "missing" posts when you post in a thread but when it's displayed your post isn't there. Cue the posts about the "missing" posts, notifications without there being new posts etc etc.

mySQL's caching is surprisingly efficient but it does get nuked every time you write and when Boards is down a slave you really can't be affording to nuke the caches for posts/threads that often.

All hail the new and improved hamster wheels, whenever they arrive. And fair play for implementing the Read-only site on such short notice. Commiserations to Chris, it has been a rough 10 days for him :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

All hail the new and improved hamster wheels, whenever they arrive. And fair play for implementing the Read-only site on such short notice. Commiserations to Chris, it has been a rough 10 days for him :p
    Whatever. This sort of thing never happened back when Danny was here. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Is it safe to come out now?

<_<

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Not quite, but it's getting safer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Is it safe to come out now?

<_<

>_>

We are all open minded here.

Good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Are mods the only ones allowed post?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think we all know what really happened here. Dav messed something up again and didn't want to get in trouble so he poured a big jug of coffee all over the server and blamed it on a hardware malfunction. For shame, Dav, for shame.

For now :) Enjoy it while it lasts :pac:

For now :) Enjoy it while it lasts :pac:

Weird, cos I've been demoted to reg user! And my grumpy baby avatar is AWOL.

Ah well, I'm only a hosted mod, not like all you real mods. :-(

Your avatar is present and accounted for. I also see your HMOD status

Must be my phone so. Feckin iPhones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Stop messing with his head.

I'm expecting you to steal his avatar any moment now

I'm expecting you to steal his avatar any moment now

I'm getting onto the mods to report you all for bullying! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Any chance that important announcements could be made available on the mobile site as well as the full site?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Heheh...... Messing with his head.....

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

We are all open minded here.

Good on you.

I'm fabulous!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Suits me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yep, the announcement said mods and verified reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Back ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Back ?

Yes. Pats on the back all round for the sysadmins & developers - some effort :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh look, Dav's getting all the thanks again. What a coincidence.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Fair play Chris and Colm, that was the last thing you needed on a Tuesday :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A private forum I post in still isn't available for posting, yet another private one I'm a member of is. Are there still glitches in the matrix?

Edit: Private forum working ok now - Thanks for getting it all back up and running!

Advertisement