Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European firearms pass

Options
  • 21-03-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering what's the procedure with the European firearms pass, is there a form available to download ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

No just go into your local station and they can organise it. You need a photo and it's handy if you have your licences on you. Sometimes they will do it on the spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

hexosan wrote: »
    Hi just wondering what's the procedure with the European firearms pass, is there a form available to download ?

Go into your local station with your licenses, or photocopy, and ask for the Europass. It's free and takes about a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

That was super fast, anyone have the lotto numbers for next week. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

6,14, well I'll talk about the EU pass first, I had to supply my place of Birth when I applied for mine, photo and firearms make type and serial numbers, and if your them applying to say the North for a firearms pass you have to give 6 weeks notice on your application to the PSNI and 12 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 international shooter

Wadi14 wrote: »
    6,14, well I'll talk about the EU pass first, I had to supply my place of Birth when I applied for mine, photo and firearms make type and serial numbers, and if your them applying to say the North for a firearms pass you have to give 6 weeks notice on your application to the PSNI and 12 pounds.

If your planning on going to the north or to the UK you still need a European firearms pass, they have to stamp it, PLUS you need the licence mentioned above. The problem arises when you apply through the PSNI they want you to have a sponsor (i.e a permanent resident in the north) so if you don't know anyone up there it's tricky....... But when there's a will there's a way and here it is. If you go to the CPSA website you can apply for a pass through them and it covers you for the whole of the UK plus Northern Ireland and the CPSA act as your sponsor. If you plan on travelling anywhere in Europe you only need your European firearms pass plus an invitation from someone in the country you want to visit. For example if you were going to shoot clay targets in Italy you can get an invitation from any of the shooting grounds, just contact them and ask. And your sorted then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If you go to the CPSA website you can apply for a pass through them and it covers you for the whole of the UK plus Northern Ireland

For clarity, Northern Ireland is part of the UK but requires a PSNI visitor's permit. This is only available from the PSNI & must be applied for through a sponsor.
    A British visitor's permit is available through whichever police force's division you intend to visit but is valid throughout Great Britain, not in Northern Ireland.

They are separate permits & each one is only valid in either NI or GB. There is no such thing as a UK visitor's permit or "pass" covering both.

And as for a sponsor for your NI pass,if your going shooting at a club lets say one of the club committee can sponsor you, firearms dealers sometimes would sponsor as well if they see sales of ammo etc. out of it, also a copy of your EU pass when applying no need to send the original EU pass.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Wadi14 wrote: »
    also a copy of your EU pass when applying no need to send the original EU pass.

Just be careful to send a copy of every page of the pass, even the blank ones. I had a visitors permit application returned once because I only sent copies of the pages with stuff filled in.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Just be careful to send a copy of every page of the pass, even the blank ones. I had a visitors permit application returned once because I only sent copies of the pages with stuff filled in.

I'll have to keep and eye on that one, I only sent the pages with details on them and got it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

Which reminds me I have to get my Europass updated with recent license renewals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

If you have two firearms on it and need to add a third is it a new pass or do they just up date the one you have. Also how long is it valid for.

hexosan wrote: »
    If you have two firearms on it and need to add a third is it a new pass or do they just up date the one you have. Also how long is it valid for.

They can update your current EU pass, the pass is valid as long as your firearms licence is valid, if you have say 2 firearms listed on the pass it is valid until which ever firearms cert is out of date first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dies3l

clivej wrote: »
    Go into your local station with your licenses, or photocopy, and ask for the Europass. It's free and takes about a week

Sadly I fell at the first hurdle!

Im currently working in the UK and want to bring my shotgun over. My wife (back over) went into the local Garda barracks and asked for an EU Firearms Pass application form. She was told they don't have copies & I need to download it from the Dept of Agriculture web site.

Ive spent the morning googling variations of "European Firearms Pass" but can find nothing on an Irish Govt web site (An Garda Siochana, Dept of Agriculture, Dept of Environment, etc etc). Has anyone any advice on where I can obtain an application form?

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Dies3l wrote: »
    Sadly I fell at the first hurdle!

Im currently working in the UK and want to bring my shotgun over. My wife (back over) went into the local Garda barracks and asked for an EU Firearms Pass application form. She was told they don't have copies & I need to download it from the Dept of Agriculture web site.

Ive spent the morning googling variations of "European Firearms Pass" but can find nothing on an Irish Govt web site (An Garda Siochana, Dept of Agriculture, Dept of Environment, etc etc). Has anyone any advice on where I can obtain an application form?

Thanks

The reason that there's no application form in your local Garda station is because no such form exists! :)

The district office (it's in the nearest station with a Superintendent in it) should have the blanks. They'll need a passport size photo from you and they just fill in the rest in pen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As IRLConor said there is no application form, it's an actual passport/booklet and they are blank until you fill it in and the Super signs off on it. It looks like this:

file.php?id=2789&t=1&sid=9782f5b14db02aee7f424c77b2603348

They may not have any in the station, but there is definitely no form to fill in. Go back, and inform the "FO".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dies3l

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Advertisement