Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death: why is it feared?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Saipanne wrote: »
    An idiotic wager.

Your opinion and so be it. I beg to differ but will save that for the religion forum. For me it's a win/win wager because it costs me nothing and only adds to my life. But to each their own. I don't decry the beliefs, or lack of same, of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I fear old age more...or in fact I fear how you die as well as the actual dying.

If I could keel over suddenly grand. ..but a long drawn out illness...that terrifies me! Equally becoming old and living in a nursing home terrifies me.

Im turning 40 next year. ..its hard to type that! And it is killing me and not in the sudden way id like :D

As for death. .thats it..your life is done...the world is such an amazing thing to be part of and you're no longer part of it. Your family and friends will be doing all they can to forget you because the pain of grief will force them to (at least the better be pained with grief! :pac:). Youll just be a picture on a family tree that no one will know about. My dad nearly died a year and a half ago and he said to me a while a go...look at all the great things I would have missed out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Your opinion and so be it. I beg to differ but will save that for the religion forum. For me it's a win/win wager because it costs me nothing and only adds to my life. But to each their own. I don't decry the beliefs, or lack of same, of others.

The ingredients of your wrongness:

A) God knows what your thinking

B) God is not stupid

C) There are an infinite number of God candidates

It's a wager for religious hucksters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

B) God is not stupid

Ah look, its a factitious quote. It was in reply to a similar sentiment from a poster. I'm not stupid enough to think I could con my God like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No-one will remember you in a couple of hundred years no matter what legacy you leave behind and certainly not a million years so who cares.

I agree, I don't get this legacy business. I couldn't really give a crap about legacy. I'll just be happy to leave behind some happy memories and for my friends & family to have a good old session when I'm gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

B) God is not stupid

You don't know there is nothing after death, as for quoting Hitchens, he didn't know jack **** about the subject either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why bet so much on the wager, I'd rather spend my time rather than gamble it on something I think is a losing bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I just hate how so much work and effort is put into every human. Like think of all the resources we consume only to die later on and become nothing, what was the point of using such vast amounts of resources on me if I come of no use. All the electricity used for my TV and stereo, all the fuel I used for travelling, all the energy used to heat my home, all the animals that died to feed me, all the clothes Ive worn throughout my life, all the tress cut to make the books Ive read, the thousands and thousands of hours Ive spent in education to get a job, all the relationships and friendships Ive built throughout my life.. It just astounds me the amount of resources the average westerner consumes in their lifetime. And what does it come to. Nothing.
    It's not like all the energy and resources you would use in your lifetime wouldn't get used if you weren't around. Another creature would simply step in to take your place. The fact is life makes no demands off you other than to live. You're not taking anything away from the universe by using resources you're simply changing the resources you need into the resources another creature needs. As long as you're eating, pooping and breathing your fulfilling your obligation to the ecosystem. By eating your spreading seed, by pooping your feeding plants and by breathing your giving breath to plants.

The resources on our planet were the by product of living things, living, but also dying. The oil in your car is pretty useless to every other living creature, at best it's a carbon sink and even though we've released all that carbon into the atmosphere it's going to get soaked up again, on the grand scale of earth's life span our age of oil will be a blip.

The electricity in your TV wasn't created for your TV, it was there anyway we just converted it into a useable format and turned it into alternative energy through our TV. You didn't use it up.

You're just one of many natural processes that's converting energy and matter from one state to another. That will happen regardless of whether you're here or not so there's no need to feel guilty about being alive.

It is true we're converting our energy and resources into ones that are useless to us and we need to be careful we don't overpower the natural mechanisms that give us the ideal ecosystem we need to survive. But even if we do, life will go on, it would be borderline impossible to completely wipe life off the face of this planet. We can only get rid of biodiversity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sirsok wrote: »
    How appropriate this thread is for me. The past few weeks I have been having panic attacks, not being able to sleep, crying to myself and being unable to enjoy things as a result of dear of dying.

This was an issue in my younger year but has not crossed my mind for over a decade. I am constantly reminded of death everywhere, watchin tv, video games, conversations...even phrases like a god help ya or I'm dying after drinkin makes my stomach drop.

The thoughts of loved ones along with myself ceasing to exist scares the fcuk out of me. I have been contemplating rediscovering religion. I had a discussion with a Muslim taxi driver before and I admired that he was full sure that when we die we meet god. I couldn't believe his conviction. I need something in my life to assure me everything will be ok when I'm gone as I am drivin myself insane and depressed at the age of 25.

The best way to make sure that everything will be ok when you are no more is to create that which is good now, be kind to others, help them, have a good selfless influence on the world as it stands, plan for the future, never treat others as objects or things, you'll find that a life like this will mean that, even if you are not aware of it, you will have created a legacy.
    No one may build statues to you, or write poems about you.
    You may never be the subject of fierce debate or find portraits of yourself on hallowed halls of learning, but you may find that someone took a better path in life as a result of your kindness, you may find someone found the courage to make a stand as a result of your counsel.
    And you may never find out that these things happened as a result of your actions, but they will most definitely outlive you, in so much as those that have said a kind word to you in the past have helped you, possibly in a fundamental way, yet may not be aware of their influence.
    But this will make facing death at any age that bit easier.
    Not staking your life on what life may come after, but rather staking it on the world you have left behind, and the fact that it was all the better for having you in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Cos it means you'll be like all dead and sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

On the other hand there are people who insist there is something after death who may also be in for a shock, although if there is nothing after death i suppose they won't be in for a shock because they won't be aware there is nothing. My head hurts now :D

Thats because its shaped like a donut. And somebody took a bite out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

“To fear death, gentlemen, is no other than to think oneself wise when one is not, to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man, yet men fear it as if they knew that it is the greatest of evils.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B3crates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

"And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

We come into this world unaware which means it's painless, and all going well, we will leave it like that too. I think that's the way it's supposed to be. One painless way in and out. What scares me is any method of dying, but a natural one, like drowning etc. The thought of being alive and conscious and not being able to catch your breath no matter what is terrifying. When we hold our breath, remember the horrible sensation of how it feels, it's indescribable, and imagine that going on for another 2-3 minutes and the feeling gets worse and worse and having to go through it. Not being able to catch my breath and to consciously go through that horrible feeling and sensation terrifies me. If I don't have to go through that pain or sensation I don't care

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We come into this world unaware which means it's painless, and all going well, we will leave it like that too. I think that's the way it's supposed to be. One painless way in and out. What scares me is any method of dying, but a natural one, like drowning etc. The thought of being alive and conscious and not being able to catch your breath no matter what is terrifying. When we hold our breath, remember the horrible sensation of how it feels, it's indescribable, and imagine that going on for another 2-3 minutes and the feeling gets worse and worse and having to go through it. Not being able to catch my breath and to consciously go through that horrible feeling and sensation terrifies me. If I don't have to go through that pain or sensation I don't care

You haven't been in a room as someone dies of lung cancer then.
    Plenty of painful, dignity free ways to die I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

This is why I don't understand how euthanasia isn't legal. Most people here seem to fear the pain of dying but not death. We could eradicate this in all circumstances except sudden accidents or medical complications. I wonder what the ratio of deaths is between sudden deaths and slow ones? Yet it doesn't even seem to be on the cards. And we are the people for whom it could be of benefit. I'm surprised there isn't a tidal wave from people who do know what horrors a slow and painful death can bring.

After someone dies of suicide, their family/ friends (in recent years) have become active in mental health awareness, raising money for charities. When someone has a child with a long term illness or disability, involvement in improving conditions for all other sufferers commonly follows.

But after seeing so much unnessecary suffering, that probably isn't spoken about enough in a wider context, there is no will for euthanasia?

I don't understand it. These people have seen there are worse things than death. I haven't experienced it directly but I know it to be the case.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

How can you fear something if you have never went through the event to fear it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.”

-Banksy.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I don't fear death but I do fear old age.

Both my Nanny's had Alzheimer's which terrifies me; my Grandad who passed in November had many health complaints before death and my other Grandad who is still alive is near blind and has a very poor quality of life due to many health issues.

I actually think it would be quite nice to live until about 50 or 60 and then one day pop a couple of pills, have a slurp of wine, go to sleep and not wake up!
    Lol
    (I'm not actually planning on doing that, just saying wouldn't it be nice if we had that option!)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

This is why I don't understand how euthanasia isn't legal. Most people here seem to fear the pain of dying but not death. We could eradicate this in all circumstances except sudden accidents or medical complications. I wonder what the ratio of deaths is between sudden deaths and slow ones? Yet it doesn't even seem to be on the cards. And we are the people for whom it could be of benefit. I'm surprised there isn't a tidal wave from people who do know what horrors a slow and painful death can bring.

After someone dies of suicide, their family/ friends (in recent years) have become active in mental health awareness, raising money for charities. When someone has a child with a long term illness or disability, involvement in improving conditions for all other sufferers commonly follows.

But after seeing so much unnessecary suffering, that probably isn't spoken about enough in a wider context, there is no will for euthanasia?

I don't understand it. These people have seen there are worse things than death. I haven't experienced it directly but I know it to be the case.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of euthanasia; it has always baffled me that a dog with cancer would be put down to save it from suffering, yet a human is expected to go through terrible suffering until the very end with their family witnessing the horror of what that person is experiencing.
    To have the option of saying - I don't want to suffer, let me say my goodbyes and then let me go peacefully - would be wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thoughts?

The whole debate about life and death is perverted by religious beliefs.

It is obviously better to allow someone at the end of their natural life to take the decision that they would like to die under the circumstances of their choosing.

It is only when you bring in 'god' that people start arguing against it.

Life is precious only when you have something to live for. There comes a point when there is more pain than joy and living longer brings thoughts of dread rather than hope or expectation.

Without the made up religious nonsense about the afterlife, there is absolutely no reason why someone should be forced to remain alive against their will.

It's cruel and heartless if you ask me.

I am absolutely not afraid of being dead. What terrifies me, are illnesses like Alzheimers and Motor Neuron Disease and the idea that not only wouild I be suffering, but I hate the idea that my familywould have to watch me suffer and sacrifice so much time and energy and money caring for me at a time I would not want to be alive.

The idea that my children's memories of me could be of someone in the end stages of a progressive neurological condition just make me feel so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Heckler wrote: »
    Fear of the unknown. And even atheists are secretly scared. The idea that you cease to exist is a mind bender. Its the ultimate question. I'd love to have faith but I don't. What gets my gander up is so much harm has been done in the name of religion. If it turns out to be a falsehood.......millions upon millions of people will have died for something that never existed. Thats a brain melt.

I don't fear death - I just enjoy living and would like to keep doing so far as long as I can.

Nothing to fear about the nothingness which comes after death though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Unless I completely change my ways then I fully expect to go to heaven.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't fear death, I just don't like the idea that I won't live forever.

There is no fear of the unknown here as I'm certain there is nothing after death, but the process of dieing can be an unpleasant one, and that is something that could be very unpleasant.

I'll have regrets for things not done, things I didn't get the time to do, or things I haven't seen. Most will be trivial regrets probably, but the main regret will be not getting to see the lives of others I love, which isn't one you can change unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

As the band "Brand New" say "I'm not scared of dying , I'm just a little bit scared of what comes after.."

But my biggest fear and this is something that scares the bejazus out of me now as I write it is realizing that in a blink of an eye you'll be on your death bed.

I mean literally all life up until this post for me seems like a heartbeat and the same feeling will be there when you're checking out.

So when you blink your eyes next you'll be old ...and dying.

I guess you have to make sure you've loads to laugh about in between blinks eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Saipanne wrote:
    Life with an end has a point, a purpose. Eternal life is just meaningless and cheapens the earthly existence.

It might be cheap but so are animal bars and thoose are delicious !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It might be cheap but so are animal bars and thoose are delicious !

Touche

As for those who mention regrets on their death bed, AFAIK I am not near it but have loads of regrets (or missed opportunities), but overall the pluses beat the minuses so I am happy with the hand I am holding and when the time comes I am going all in if I see it coming. I certainly won't be cashing out in the hope I will keep going before the house cleans me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

MrTom1 wrote: »
    How can you fear something if you have never went through the event to fear it in the first place?

You serious? Have you never witnessed a loved one or even a neighbour wasting away due to old age, Alzheimer's, ms, mnd etc....

Don't need first hand knowledge of something prior to fearing it...

I've never been ass raped, but would definitely fear it happening!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

daveg wrote: »
    For many I don't think this question bothers them until they have a family. I have a wife and 2 kids and it absolutly wrecks my head when I think one day I'll die and I may never see them again. I try not to think about it.....

what a stupid thing to post......... just because someone does'nt have children does not mean they don't have family..... ****sake.. having kids is not everything in life.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I just hate how so much work and effort is put into every human. Like think of all the resources we consume only to die later on and become nothing, what was the point of using such vast amounts of resources on me if I come of no use. All the electricity used for my TV and stereo, all the fuel I used for travelling, all the energy used to heat my home, all the animals that died to feed me, all the clothes Ive worn throughout my life, all the tress cut to make the books Ive read, the thousands and thousands of hours Ive spent in education to get a job, all the relationships and friendships Ive built throughout my life.. It just astounds me the amount of resources the average westerner consumes in their lifetime. And what does it come to. Nothing.

You can't look at it like that. Ultimately its not the individual that counts but the species. It doesn't look like we're making a great job of that either but we gotta try I suppose.

Advertisement