Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just noticed this in Lidl...

Options
  • 20-03-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

They are selling Kangaroo and Ostrich meat o.O

Has anyone here tried it ? What's it like ? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I havent tried it but hear it's lovely. Just like beef. Must take a trip to Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I heard it's jumping off the shelves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

BeerWolf wrote: »
    They are selling Kangaroo and Ostrich meat o.O

Has anyone here tried it ? What's it like ? :o

Ostrich is delicious. Buy some and pan fry it for about a minute each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I heard it's jumping off the shelves...

Are ostriches known for jumping?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Tried the Kangaroo steak. I enjoyed it but I genuinely kept thinking that it tasted how I would imagine horse meat would taste. I have never eaten a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kangaroo meat is really nice, a juicier version of deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Tried an ostrich burger before....nothing special really. Had a bit of an after taste compared to beef.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've had their venison, which was absolutely gorgeous. I liked horse too when I tasted it abroad so might try kangaroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

jester77 wrote: »
    Kangaroo meat is really nice, a juicier version of deer.

Yeah, it's good alright. Had some in Australia a few years ago, and I'd had the frozen version from Aldi/Lidl (can't remember - they had it as a special years ago) already, but it's not a patch on fresh. Like frozen beef steak compared to fresh. It's something different to try though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Neyite wrote: »
    I've had their venison, which was absolutely gorgeous. I liked horse too when I tasted it abroad so might try kangaroo.

I wasn't so keen on it when I tried it in my Tesco 'beef' burger myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's all just repackaged horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭conorhal

I didn't care for either, roo is a bit tough and gamey and ostrich has a wierd grainy texture I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I haven't tried it but I hear it's horrible. Just like beef.
    ectoraige wrote: »
    Are ostriches known for jumping?
    I hear their jumping is marginally better that their flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kangaroo is awesome. I'm going to Lidl on my way home. Thanks!

Had ostrich before. Maybe it wasn't cooked properly, but I didn't like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's all just repackaged horse.
    Foal fillet, yum; think I'll pick some up in my local supermarket for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What did the Scotsman say when he was trapped in a lift.

"Kangaroo"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ostrich is delicious, but I'm not sure how the Ostrich in Lidl would compare the the one I ate that was killed that day and grilled in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I had ostrich and kangaroo years ago, my local superquinn did them (refrigerated, rather than frozen).

Thought they were lovely.

Had alligator too, but that was disgusting.

Ate bat curry in the Seychelles once (family told me it was pork, because the bats over there terrified me at night). Genuinely tasted lovely, but I gagged for about 10 minutes when they told me I'd actually eaten bat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Dont knock it until youve tried it.

conorhal wrote: »
    I didn't care for either, roo is a bit tough and gamey and ostrich has a wierd grainy texture I didn't like.

Kangaroo is definitely gamey, but never noticed it being tough. May have been the way it was cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had ostrich 2x but i guess it is easy to **** it up.
    1st time i had it, it was delicious.
    2nd time, mostly Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Really tempted to try some of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Hate going into Lidl as I always end up buying something I had no bloody intention of buying. Last week I bought a set of rubber gripped pruning shears with rubber coated extendable arms. They are excellent but I live in an apartment ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Ostrich is cheaper than beef here for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Can we not just Skip the puns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I had Ostrich last night! just cooked like a steak, on a cast iron skillet, pepper sauce and chips, beautiful.

Kanga is much the same, but a bit more gamey, again, treat it like a fillet steak can't go wrong.

Someone mentioned Alligator from Superquinn, it was Crocodile they used to do. Wasn't dissimilar to Scallops or something like that, but with a more chickeny texture. I liked it seared and served with some sharp citrus flavours - lime and chilli or lemon and ginger.

As a society we're going to have to embrace new foods sooner or later - next up for me, insects!

I had Ostrich last night! just cooked like a steak, on a cast iron skillet, pepper sauce and chips, beautiful.

Kanga is much the same, but a bit more gamey, again, treat it like a fillet steak can't go wrong.

Someone mentioned Alligator from Superquinn, it was Crocodile they used to do. Wasn't dissimilar to Scallops or something like that, but with a more chickeny texture. I liked it seared and served with some sharp citrus flavours - lime and chilli or lemon and ginger.

As a society we're going to have to embrace new foods sooner or later - next up for me, insects!

My bad, you're right, it was indeed crocodile, in small, circular pieces. Hated it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Ostrich is delicious. Buy some and pan fry it for about a minute each side.

Very hard to fit in the oven though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I had crow stew years ago. Lovely with some spuds and veg.

Advertisement