Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just noticed this in Lidl...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I heard it's jumping off the shelves...
    You've got some neck on you for using such a pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just back from Lidl, the feckers didnt have any tv simulators left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not too gone on the 'roo, but loved the ostrich meat and sadly can no longer find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I haven't tried it but I hear it's horrible. Just like beef.
    :eek: Beef done right is second to none. Beef done anything but right is horrible. I've only ever had beef done to perfection once, it was nicer than steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Love both of those meats, Superquinn used do 'em years ago, can't wait to try them out again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I had ostrich and kangaroo years ago, my local superquinn did them (refrigerated, rather than frozen).

Thought they were lovely.

Had alligator too, but that was disgusting.

Ate bat curry in the Seychelles once (family told me it was pork, because the bats over there terrified me at night). Genuinely tasted lovely, but I gagged for about 10 minutes when they told me I'd actually eaten bat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

In the 90's my old man looked into starting an ostrich farm.

FACT.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

As a society we're going to have to embrace new foods sooner or later - next up for me, insects!

Can I recommend Huhu grubs, bit like crunchy peanut butter?

Otherwise a bit of mountain oysters...

Kangaroo is gamey, I quite like ostrich, but both can be ruined by overcooking. Crocodile just tastes like bland chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Kangaroo is lovely :). I have never tried Ostrich though. I had wanted to try crocodile but going by some of the comments here, I'm not so sure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kangaroo is awesome. I'm going to Lidl on my way home. Thanks!

Had ostrich before. Maybe it wasn't cooked properly, but I didn't like it

Over cook ostrich, and its ruined. Should only fry it either side for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Kangaroo is awesome. I'm going to Lidl on my way home. Thanks!

Had ostrich before. Maybe it wasn't cooked properly, but I didn't like it

I tried the ostrich, I reckon I overlooked it as it was quiet tough.

The day I was there I also got some bear steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

How much is it? Sounds costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Tried the Kangaroo steak. I enjoyed it but I genuinely kept thinking that it tasted how I would imagine horse meat would taste. I have never eaten a horse.

That you're aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I like Ostrich its very like Swan in taste

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

I've had both kangaroo and ostrich, but they were cooked by my OH who is an excellent chef and knows how to cook meat to perfection....they were both delicious. The only meat I've tried that I would never eat again was whale meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Kangaroo is really nice, close enough to deer although not as juicy. Very gamey taste. Had it 2/3 times :) yum yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I presume this comes from the frozen food isle? Sitting alongside the frozen lobsters and the lamb chops from Australia. I'd pass to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I wasn't so keen on it when I tried it in my Tesco 'beef' burger myself.

Ah sure it's not like you knew it was there or anything:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I presume this comes from the frozen food isle? Sitting alongside the frozen lobsters and the lamb chops from Australia. I'd pass to be honest.

No actually, the kangaroos are transported over alive on a plane, then they're transported to a Kangaroo farm out on Lambay Island off the Dublin coast which serves as a kangaroo confinement farm until the time is right to kill them, their meat then processed and sent to Lidl's around Ireland and the the process naturally repeats itself.

Of course it isn't ideal, but better than extraordinary renditions or Kangaroo courts I guess.

I hope we strike up a deal with Australia for Koalas next, I'd imagine they taste quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm surprised that you know anything about Lidl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement