Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being positive despite the idiots.

Options
2»

Comments

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What if all the idiots, morons and lazy people think everyone else is an idiot, moron and lazy?

It is not even a what if really. It has been established and is called The Dunning–Kruger effect - or "Downing effect". Essentially the stupider you are - or less knowledgeable or skills you are in a given area - the more your tendancy to over estimate yourself and under estimate others actually is.

While the more intelligent or skilled you are - the more likely you are to underestimate these things and think yourself less than you are.

Leaves me feeling somewhat good about myself that I spend a majority of my time feeling really stupid and uninformed. Dunning Kruger and Downing suggest this might be a sign I am right up there.

Or perhaps I am actually dumb as f..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Leaves me feeling somewhat good about myself that I spend a majority of my time feeling really stupid and uninformed. Dunning Kruger and Downing suggest this might be a sign I am right up there.

Or perhaps I am actually dumb as f..........

Or perhaps Dunning Kruger and Downing are!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Use that stuff, use it to realise that the little things just are not worth getting pissed off over. Focus on the positive things you have in your life, and smile and the idiots rather than let them make your blood boil. It could all end tomorrow for you OP, so don't let your day be clouded by the annoyance of others.

Ok, this and playing "The Sound of Silence" in my head are the approaches I'm going to take. Thank you kindly for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Did you tell your co-worker that they had a 513 and they poured a bucket of water over their console?

Easy there Grimey...

• Advertisement

Kev_2012 wrote:
    Did you tell your co-worker that they had a 513 and they poured a bucket of water over their console?

I said potential, not pay. If the latter is more important then you have your answer. Again, serves you right.

I'm not just talking about work though. People driving around with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other are idiots. What job I decided to do hardly has any effect on that. They'll be idiots regardless of where I work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm not just talking about work though. People driving around with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other are idiots. What job I decided to do hardly has any effect on that. They'll be idiots regardless of where I work.

The issue genuinely.lies with you. I see these.kinds of comments a lot on here and am left befuddled ta fook. Most people I meet in a day are lovely and normal and pleasant. The barman here just gave me a free tapa.Sound. I've met a handful.of idiots in the last year but the rest? Doing the best they know how and getting on with it; no one's perfect.

It must be absolutely **** to have that mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Most of the time people don't know their idiots and certainly can't help it.

It's all in the DNA baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Everyone is good for something. Ergo, even those who're good for fcuk all. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Most of the time people don't know their idiots and certainly can't help it.

It's all in the DNA baby.

I know my idiots... and don't call me baby! :pac:

*retreats back into corner* :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Fcuk the begrudgers.

One of my favourite inner statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers. The problem is, and I've been saying it for years, the World is full of idiots.

You sir, need some Jinx Lennon in your ears:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers. The problem is, and I've been saying it for years, the World is full of idiots. I have to deal with them every time I leave the house. I'm sure the lovely people of AH are all exceptions to the rule of course.

I already have to bite my tongue and grit my teeth daily to tolerate them so I'm not sure what else I can do. I've been asked to take a minute before talking to them in future. It's going to be tough but I need to try and stay positive from now on. Maybe if I start working on the punch bag again I can work off some rage that way.

I think you need to stop being so narky. You have anger issues.
    Maybe they are not the problem???

I used to be like you, but someone called me out, cause I was being an ar$ehole by giving out to people. Just because everyone is not up to your perfect standards doesnt mean you have to belittle them...

Take a minute seems like good advise. Anger is weakness. Patience is strength. I robbed the last bit, because I could never come up with anything intelligent myself, cause I'm a fudging lazy idiot!

eamonnq wrote: »
    Or perhaps Dunning Kruger and Downing are!

The joys of peer review :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

People driving around with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other are idiots.
    Ahh, you didn't actually mean an idiot. You meant someone who rubs you up the wrong way because of some personal reason.

I find people who do that are idiots...

Ahh, you didn't actually mean an idiot. You meant someone who rubs you up the wrong way because of some personal reason.

No, I'm pretty sure anybody that's willing to drive around while chatting on the phone and smoking at the same time can be counted as an idiot/asshole. For me an idiot is somebody that does stupid things and doesn't seem to have the brains to realise how stupid their actions are.

For me an idiot is somebody that does stupid things and doesn't seem to have the brains to realise how stupid their actions are.
    And getting upset over this is smart in comparison?

Mod

The Corinthian, I'm not sure what you're at but from where I'm standing it looks like yo bumped a thread from last week just to wind up the OP. Please don't do that.

Mod

The Corinthian, I'm not sure what you're at but from where I'm standing it looks like yo bumped a thread from last week just to wind up the OP. Please don't do that.
    Well, I just had not come back to the thread until today and saw he'd responded to me, so I was replying back to him. I was not aware that threads zombified at an accelerated rate on AH.

I'll leave it, if you prefer; it would be a bit hypocritical for me to pursue the thread after questioning whether the OP should be bothered by idiots in the first place, after all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Well, I just had not come back to the thread until today and saw he'd responded to me, so I was replying back to him. I was not aware that threads zombified at an accelerated rate on AH.

I'll leave it, if you prefer; it would be a bit hypocritical for me to pursue the thread after questioning whether the OP should be bothered by idiots in the first place, after all.

Mod
    Don't question moderation in thread please - PM if you've an issue.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

a mod modding a mods mod, Thats some intense modding right there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Sure I feel like Robert De Niro in that film "Taxi Driver" most of the time. Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

a mod modding a mods mod, Thats some intense modding right there!!

Camping's in tents..... get it... maybe that one has to be spoken aloud.

So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers. The problem is.........the World is full of idiots.......I already have to bite my tongue and grit my teeth daily............

Hmm....
    I'm sure the lovely people of AH are all exceptions to the rule of course.

Ah, there's the problem. Confusing Internet people with real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

fizzypish wrote:
    Camping's in tents..... get it... maybe that one has to be spoken aloud.

did you hear about the new craze of extreme outdoor orgys? It's fcuking in tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It's the OP who sounds like an idiot in all of this to be perfectly honest.

I find the same beks, most people are deadly, with a sprinkling of idiots here and there I often wonder though when I read threads on here, is that because I'm really lucky, or is it because of my attitude?

A bit of both, probably.

People respond positively when you treat them with respect. The OP obviously has no respect for, and can't find anything to like about, his co-workers.

It's a pity, you don't have to reach the apparently lofty heights of the OP's IQ to be a nice person, as displayed.

Most people would have the wit to look inwards if they found 'everyone' else so inadequate.

It's the OP who sounds like an idiot in all of this to be perfectly honest.

Candie wrote:
    People respond positively when you treat them with respect. The OP obviously has no respect for, and can't find anything to like about, his co-workers.

Candie wrote:
    It's a pity, you don't have to reach the apparently lofty heights of the OP's IQ to be a nice person, as displayed.

Candie wrote:
    Most people would have the wit to look inwards if they found 'everyone' else so inadequate.

***Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to speak with you again***

You are all wise and wonderful people, not in the slightest bit annoying or idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers. The problem is, and I've been saying it for years, the World is full of idiots. I have to deal with them every time I leave the house. I'm sure the lovely people of AH are all exceptions to the rule of course.

I already have to bite my tongue and grit my teeth daily to tolerate them so I'm not sure what else I can do. I've been asked to take a minute before talking to them in future. It's going to be tough but I need to try and stay positive from now on. Maybe if I start working on the punch bag again I can work off some rage that way.

Stress is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers.

You don't have to pretend. Just accept it.

Advertisement