Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being positive despite the idiots.

Options
  • 20-03-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers. The problem is, and I've been saying it for years, the World is full of idiots. I have to deal with them every time I leave the house. I'm sure the lovely people of AH are all exceptions to the rule of course.

I already have to bite my tongue and grit my teeth daily to tolerate them so I'm not sure what else I can do. I've been asked to take a minute before talking to them in future. It's going to be tough but I need to try and stay positive from now on. Maybe if I start working on the punch bag again I can work off some rage that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What if all the idiots, morons and lazy people think everyone else is an idiot, moron and lazy?

idiotception...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have you considered Renua?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

If you can't beat em, join em.

MOOOOOOOOooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Maaaaaaaaaaaybe ye know...

just maaaaaaaaaybe you're the idiot OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RonanP77 wrote: »
    So I've been told that I'll get on better in life and at work if I pretend the idiots, morons and lazy people are actually all sound, wonderful, intelligent and very hard workers. The problem is, and I've been saying it for years, the World is full of idiots. I have to deal with them every time I leave the house. I'm sure the lovely people of AH are all exceptions to the rule of course.

I already have to bite my tongue and grit my teeth daily to tolerate them so I'm not sure what else I can do. I've been asked to take a minute before talking to them in future. It's going to be tough but I need to try and stay positive from now on. Maybe if I start working on the punch bag again I can work off some rage that way.

Good on you.
    You seem sound, wonderful, intelligent and a very hard worker.
    *Holds smile for approx 1 minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Do you live in Pacadena with your room-mate Leonard and work at the University?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have to deal with them every time I leave the house.

So don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I worked on an assembly line years ago. It was a linear system so if the station in front of you or behind you had issues it effected your station. I worked with guys that probably had the same opinion of me that you have of your co workers. I didn't bust myself to pass parts as there was always more coming. I did what was necessary but not more. Why was I being so selfish you ask? Simply because regardless of how tirelessly I worked, it wouldn't effect my wage, my managers opinion of me or anything really. I seen a guy make a girl cry before as he was rushing her with parts and giving out to her for not being better. There was simply no need for it. On the other hand if other peoples poor performance is making you look bad then I can understand your frustration. Personally I never found punch bags great stress relievers. A mate of mine used to chop timber with an axe and said that was pretty therapeutic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I will say this much. I meet people on a daily basis who I really can't understand how they managed to dress themselves that morning, they are so fcuking dumb.

Actually, when someone I know is learning to drive and get a bit nervous, I remind them of the number of complete idiots roaming the country, and how many of them hold a driving licence. It clearly isn't rocket science, I tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

OP should stop thinking of themselves as better than anyone. Everyone has unseen talents that don't come to light in work environments.

If OP refers to the recent life advice thread there was one which stuck out to me that is pertinent to the OP:
    "If you run into an ass hole in the morning; they are an ass hole. If you run into aas holes all day; then you're the asshole"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it all of them? Or is it just you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I suggest an industrial dose of Get Over Yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

biko wrote:
    Is it all of them? Or is it just you?

I'm a very good worker, I obey the law / rules, I'm of above average intelligence and a thoroughly nice chap once you get to know me. As such I think I can safely say that it's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder how they perceive themselves? Do they all go around oblivious or they sometimes think "my god, I'm such a douchebag" and then carry on douching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm a very good worker, I obey the law / rules, I'm of above average intelligence and a thoroughly nice chap once you get to know me.

http://img.blu-raydefinition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/BDDefinition-MetropolisUK-11-1080.jpg?1902c1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The trick is when someone talks to you just zone out and let The Sound of Silence fade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you're surrounded by idiots at work all day then there's a good chance you were lazy at school, failed to reach your potential and now are stuck in a job that is commensurate to the lower potential you did achieve. Serves you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm a very good worker, I obey the law / rules, I'm of above average intelligence and a thoroughly nice chap once you get to know me. As such I think I can safely say that it's them.

Have you considered the possibility they're winding you up?
    Just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

If you're surrounded by idiots at work all day then there's a good chance you were lazy at school, failed to reach your potential and now are stuck in a job that is commensurate to the lower potential you did achieve. Serves you right.

I actually got fairly good results at college, I'm in a job that's quite well paid but other than project work on Mondays it doesn't require much education or intelligence to do it. I have mates with degrees working at what they qualified for and they earn quite a bit less than the worst paid people where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I actually got fairly good results at college, I'm in a job that's quite well paid but other than project work on Mondays it doesn't require much education or intelligence to do it. I have mates with degrees working at what they qualified for and they earn quite a bit less than the worst paid people where I am.
    I said potential, not pay. If the latter is more important then you have your answer. Again, serves you right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

. I have mates with degrees working at what they qualified for and they earn quite a bit less than the worst paid people where I am.

Where should I send my CV to ?

Don't sweat the small stuff OP :)

Honestly. I know that often sounds like a load of bollox, and believe me, I can't abide gobshytes either, but really - are they worth getting worked up over? Are they worth your sanity?

Think about it logically and rationally - how bad is it really? Think about things that people go through, the horrible things that folk have to endure. You probably have had to endure some of that too?

Have a read of the news, the tragedies that families suffer, the fact that there are children being raped and murdered somewhere in the world today. Think about those who will find out today they have a few short months to live. To the people who will visit their child's grave this Sunday. The women whose husband will drop dead from a heart attack despite being fit and healthy. The people who are living on the streets. The people who are struggling to put food on the table because they were made redundant a year ago and no one wants to hire them. The lad who is thinking of ending his life because he has no one to talk to.

Don't let that stuff get you down now, because that will have the opposite affect of the point I'm trying to make.

Use that stuff, use it to realise that the little things just are not worth getting pissed off over. Focus on the positive things you have in your life, and smile and the idiots rather than let them make your blood boil. It could all end tomorrow for you OP, so don't let your day be clouded by the annoyance of others.

Yes, I am one of those annoyingly cheerful people - (most of the time ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I find generally people are lovely.

I work in a high-stress environment, and there'd be a bit of snapping at others and temper tantrums and meltdowns in my office as a result of the pressure, but I find for the most part people want to get on, want to be liked, and want to live a harmonious life where they can do good work and are surrounded by good things.

When the balance is upset, people bandy around the person who was wronged; some will crack a joke and use it as an opportunity for banter, others will be supportive and make some tea, there'll be lots of sympathetic ears.

And even the aRsehole in question will often feel some remorse generally and there might be an apology or some small gesture of kindness afterwards. And if there's not, well they'll usually have a general reputation of being a dick and you'll know to stay away.

I can't imagine walking around thinking I was surrounded by idiots and aRseholes. I'd be bloody miserable and wouldn't want to talk to anyone. I'd have no friends and no craic in the office. Nothing to get me through the tedium and stress of every day. Who would want to live like that?

Change your attitude OP. Try to talk to these 'idiots' and see what makes them tick. What did they do for the weekend? What do they do in their spare time? Do they have family? Any weird or interesting ideas about the world? They're probably pretty sound and decent people if you'd get over your own attitude and get to know them as human beings.

I find the same beks, most people are deadly, with a sprinkling of idiots here and there I often wonder though when I read threads on here, is that because I'm really lucky, or is it because of my attitude?

A bit of both, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I'm a thoroughly nice chap once you get to know me.

So we can assume you're a pure bollox until we get to know you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Agree totally with both Whoops and Beks. Not sure on age OP but ageing is a great leveller; it really is. Life is way too short and way too busy to dwell on these things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I am a idiot.

Other people are idiots too, but the difference is that I try to help them be less of an idiot when I see something silly going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I hate everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I get through the work idiocy by keeping in mind that we're all just a few meals away from bashing each others heads in over a chicken drumstick. This veneer of civility and emails man, it's all nonsense. Animals playing make believe with the farmers clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

c_man wrote: »
    I get through the work idiocy by keeping in mind that we're all just a few meals away from bashing each others heads in over a chicken drumstick. This veneer of civility and emails man, it's all nonsense. Animals playing make believe with the farmers clothes.

Oh hell heah. I have tyre-warmers and a hatchet-holster on the old KZ1000, for when it all kicks off good-oh. :cool:

Advertisement