Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Savoy cinema was class

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Grafton Street has lost most of its character and just looks like any European shopping street now. I was in there on Christmas Eve and couldn't believe how unfestive it looked. Brown Thomas was the only shop who had made any real effort, and the place was full of buskers and groups singing diddley eye music instead of Christmas carols. Really dreary and disappointing.

Well..I can think of a lot of streets in dublin that need improvement before Id go changing grafton street :pac:
    Grafton streets still a nice street. It has no dereliction,its pretty clean,its very safe, it has some nice shops and buildings, it always has a buzz about it
    Makes it better than the majority of dublin streets for these reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What they did with the Stella would have been a real revolution at the Carlton site on O'Connell Street, but no it gets bogged down for donkeys years in a massive shopping centre debacle.

I understand people feeling sad at seeing a piece of history come to an end and I feel like I too should feel sad for its loss, but the reality is that I hate Savoy 1 and won't miss it in the slightest. The Ambassador on the other hand was a huge loss I think. A beautiful cinema.

I think Savoy 1 is an awful place to see a film. You can't see the bottom of the screen properly from many of the seats, you can hear noise from the toilets at the back, and the staff traipsing up and down the side aisle to go in and out a door beside the screen is head wrecking. I go to the Savoy about three times a month and avoid screen 1 at all costs. I even prefer Screen 9. I don't get the "might as well close it down" comments at all. There are only three big commercial multiplexes in the city centre. Odeon is not central and I find it has limited options outside blockbusters and kids films. Cineworld is well priced but very tatty and overrun with scumbags anytime I've been there.

I've been going to Savoy 1 since the late 70s and cannot agree with your opinions on it considering most of your issues with it are easily solved. The toilet issue you speak of is more a case of todays cinema goers having feck all respect. I often sat in the back row pullman seats (in the day) and had no problem with any noise from the toilets. In fact they were quite posh toilets within an auditorium for a long time! You don't see that anymore. But as you appear to be a multiplex generation type, I assume you don't mind a further sub division. The Savoy wasn't built as a multiplex and it will shortly resemble an absolute mess of a place once Screen 1 bites the dust. Sad when you consider the Foyer was restored to resemble its original design.

All that said, I'm from a Generation that first visited the Savoy just after its first sub division. It was still a great cinema then, like the Adelphi in Abbey Street and its Screen 1. Nowadays purpose built multiplexes are literally sterile joints with identical auditoriums and very average so called big screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've been going to Savoy 1 since the late 70s and cannot agree with your opinions on it considering most of your issues with it are easily solved. The toilet issue you speak of is more a case of todays cinema goers having feck all respect. I often sat in the back row pullman seats (in the day) and had no problem with any noise from the toilets. In fact they were quite posh toilets within an auditorium for a long time! You don't see that anymore. But as you appear to be a multiplex generation type, I assume you don't mind a further sub division. The Savoy wasn't built as a multiplex and it will shortly resemble an absolute mess of a place once Screen 1 bites the dust. Sad when you consider the Foyer was restored to resemble its original design.

All that said, I'm from a Generation that first visited the Savoy just after its first sub division. It was still a great cinema then, like the Adelphi in Abbey Street and its Screen 1. Nowadays purpose built multiplexes are literally sterile joints with identical auditoriums and very average so called big screens.

I know you mean "multiplex generation" as an insult, but really, you needn't bother. In fact the Savoy is the only multiplex I attended until Ster Century opened in Liffey Valley. I simply find the cinema experience of Screen 1 to be poor and don't remember it ever being good. I've been attending since the early 80s. I always loved the Ambassador - beautiful and a good experience. I have no particular desire to see Savoy 1 subdivided, I just won't miss it as it's an awful place to watch a film. And that's supposed to be the point of it.

I know you mean "multiplex generation" as an insult, but really, you needn't bother. In fact the Savoy is the only multiplex I attended until Ster Century opened in Liffey Valley. I simply find the cinema experience of Screen 1 to be poor and don't remember it ever being good. I've been attending since the early 80s. I always loved the Ambassador - beautiful and a good experience. I have no particular desire to see Savoy 1 subdivided, I just won't miss it as it's an awful place to watch a film. And that's supposed to be the point of it.

We'll agree to differ on our opinions in relation to screen 1 and I'll admit you are perhaps the first one I've heard that opinion from, but I must say that the phrase multiplex generation was not intended to be an insult to you or anyone else. I am merely saying that there is a large portion of our population that know nothing beyond the purpose built multiplex experience and that the Savoy 1 (our differences aside) is the last example of a large auditorium/screen still in use in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Just checked the listings there is nothing showing in screen 1 now.

Looks like the big chop is underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

smurgen wrote: »
    It's the same with patrick street in cork.half the street is filled with ecig and mobile phone shops,most don't even look like legitimate businesses.north main street then in cork could possibly be the most depressing street in ireland.

To add to the general feeling of neglect, the illuminated Xmas decorations that originally read:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS NORTH MAIN STREET
    read
    HAPPY C RI IMAS NOI H MAIN STREF

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Haven't been in the Savoy in over a decade but I do remember seeing Star Wars there. Were queueing outside for so long that my brother (who was taking us) ducked into the 19 for a pint while we stood in line.
    Also saw the original trilogy back to back in the Ambassador when ROTJ came out. There was not an empty seat in that cinema that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

s438437.jpeg

How screen 1 looks now.:mad:

s438437.jpeg

How screen 1 looks now.:mad:

That made me shed an actual tear.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I lived in Dublin in the 80s and used to go to a cinema that showed 2 main films for about £2 on a Saturday afternoon. I always thought it was the Savoy cinema but from the pictures here perhaps not. I think it might have been in Abbey St and even in those days was kind of shabby.

My best memory of a cinema was the Ambassador where I watched Predator- I sat in the front row, the screen was massive and I felt like I was in the jungle.

I lived in Dublin in the 80s and used to go to a cinema that showed 2 main films for about £2 on a Saturday afternoon. I always thought it was the Savoy cinema but from the pictures here perhaps not. I think it might have been in Abbey St and even in those days was kind of shabby.

My best memory of a cinema was the Ambassador where I watched Predator- I sat in the front row, the screen was massive and I felt like I was in the jungle.

I know for a fact that the Savoy was £2 in the very late 80s and very early 90s for an afternoon screening in all screens. The Adelphi in Abbey street may have been the same but I can't be certain. I never sat in the front row of the Ambassador except for the balcony. My parents always went up there with us. On reflection its probably because downstairs the seating was a basic rake and if you weren't near the front a childs view could be crap. Many many fond memories of the Ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Im 64 and it was never like that in my experience

Advertisement