Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Savoy cinema was class

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Ginny wrote: »
    Getting rid of that little park and statues was criminal.

There used to be a little park there??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would be great to go back in time about 200 years and have a walk around dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

At least most of Dublin is still the same. There was so unreal buildings demolished in NYC for 'modern office buildings', that make Hume House look acceptable.

Penn Station
    http://www.nypap.org/sites/default/files/penn_station.jpg

Van der Bilt Mansion
    http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/54171936eab8ea36480c3930-480/cornelius-vanderbilt-house.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Cienciano wrote: »

I'd say if you went back 50 years you wouldn't recognise the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'd say if you went back 50 years you wouldn't recognise the place.

Ah it hasn't changed that much.

Photo here of a convertible going past Zaytoon's where a guy in the back seat stands up and asks the driver to go back so he can get a kebab..

Could have been taken today: pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

franer1970 wrote: »
    Some more from the Dublin City Council archive.

I did a good chunk of the drawings for that new building in the peats location.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

I'm totally jealous of future generations who will, in a way, be able to do just that, thanks to Google Streetview.

They'll probably all just be laughing at us mind you, what with our ground-based cars and apparent lack of hoverboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The new Star Wars film will apparently be the last film to be shown in Savoy 1 before they commit the sacrilegious act of breaking it up into a few different screens.

How the hell is it not considered a protected structure?
    A ‘Protected Structure’ is a structure that a planning authority considers to be of special interest from an architectural, historical, archaeological, artistic, cultural, scientific, social, or technical point of view and is included in its Record of Protected Structures (RPS). It may be a building or part of a building which is of significance because of its architectural or artistic quality, or its setting, or because of its association with commercial, cultural, economic, industrial, military, political, social or religious history.

Screen 2 was broken up into a few screens recently enough also and the screens are abysmal. Soulless echo chambers with uncomfortable seats.

I know it's all been done for financial reasons but there has to be another way. These people have to be stopped.

tl;dr

THEY'RE GOING TO KILL SAVOY 1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The new Star Wars film will apparently be the last film to be shown in Savoy 1 before they commit the sacrilegious act of breaking it up into a few different screens.

Screen 2 was broken up into a few screens recently enough also and the screens are abysmal. Soulless echo chambers with uncomfortable seats.

I know it's all been done for financial reasons but there has to be another way. These people have to be stopped.

tl;dr

Probably just the facade is protected. As the interior was gutted, as seen in OP, I'm sure the council don't really care what the business does to the interior really

And yeh its not great but its better than the savoy alternatively closing down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

tl;dr

The current Screen One.
    15995071_1631993903493694_1770638956414623666_o.jpg

20igljl.jpg

Screen 9 is every bit as good is just a slight bit smaller but it still has that epic feel.:D

2z6f0cp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/fuora/id1159364232?mt=8

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Queued up to see many films there, including Raiders of the lost ark and ET, it was a great cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

tl;dr

They've been talking about it for a while now. Shocking news if they have made the decision. Any decent source for this news Pete?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Although the thread relates to one iconic Dublin cinema being "modernized",there can be another way...as is being demonstrated by the Stella,Rathmines.

Couple of pals went recently and were bowled over by the experience,expensive,but on a totally different level from every other cinematic experience in Dublin.

Definitely worth checking out ?

https://stellatheatre.ie/about/

The Savoy saga is all about a corporate Easy-Way-Out....whereas the Stella appears to embody a bit more of the original Picture House ethos ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I hope the Stella thing works out. As for the Savoy, it's owners are trapped in an ever decreasing race to the bottom since Multiplexes arrived in Ireland and in particular Dublin City Centre. It had two of the best auditoriums in Ireland - Savoy 1 and 2. 2 got subdivided a couple of years ago, so it was a matter of time before they looked at screen 1. The Savoy failed miserably to market screen 1 combined with a generation that don't mind the completely sterile multiplex experience. My father has his memories of a single screen Savoy and I have mine of its fairly decent late 70s/early 80s reincarnation. Although all screens beyond 1 and 2 were awful. Thankfully I got to show my daughter a decent cinema experience in Savoy 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Although the thread relates to one iconic Dublin cinema being "modernized",there can be another way...as is being demonstrated by the Stella,Rathmines.

Couple of pals went recently and were bowled over by the experience,expensive,but on a totally different level from every other cinematic experience in Dublin.

Definitely worth checking out ?

https://stellatheatre.ie/about/

The Savoy saga is all about a corporate Easy-Way-Out....whereas the Stella appears to embody a bit more of the original Picture House ethos ?

class

might treat the missus to a night out at that

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I have had the pleasure of several years of free access to the entire building, from basements to roof and behind the scenes and it is a total maze. I even brought a manager into an area that he didn't even know about.
    What amazes me most is that it is still actually standing. A lot of the upper ffloors were in very poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would say the ways of stella are a better way forward for cinemas. I can't imagine multiplexes being able to sustain themselves with online movies being so popular currently. I think one or two really nice comfortable screens would have a much better profit/expense ratio for cinema owners than having 12 massive almost empty screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would say the ways of stella are a better way forward for cinemas. I can't imagine multiplexes being able to sustain themselves with online movies being so popular currently. I think one or two really nice comfortable screens would have a much better profit/expense ratio for cinema owners than having 12 massive almost empty screens

I know a couple of families that would disagree with you.
    Between them they have over 40 multi screen cinemas and appear to be doing quite well, as do the Odeon brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

People need to see Blade Runner 2049, Star Wars etc on the big screens so they aren't going anywhere. Only room for 1 niche cinema like Stella

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jungleman wrote: »
    This reminded me of the Ambassador whilst it was still a cinema. Remember watching the Titanic in it, with the door to the front left being the toilets & smoking area where everyone went to during the half-way break :D

the_syco wrote: »
    This reminded me of the Ambassador whilst it was still a cinema. Remember watching the Titanic in it, with the door to the front left being the toilets & smoking area where everyone went to during the half-way break :D

That pic is the current Savoy 1 with the walls shaved a bit to fit a wider screen. Original Savoy 2 was part of the balcony. (up above the photographer) The rest of the screens were just crammed into any further space available. If screen one is sub divided, I say close the place down.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Strider wrote: »
    The one that's in town.

Ballinasloe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I understand people feeling sad at seeing a piece of history come to an end and I feel like I too should feel sad for its loss, but the reality is that I hate Savoy 1 and won't miss it in the slightest. The Ambassador on the other hand was a huge loss I think. A beautiful cinema.

I think Savoy 1 is an awful place to see a film. You can't see the bottom of the screen properly from many of the seats, you can hear noise from the toilets at the back, and the staff traipsing up and down the side aisle to go in and out a door beside the screen is head wrecking. I go to the Savoy about three times a month and avoid screen 1 at all costs. I even prefer Screen 9. I don't get the "might as well close it down" comments at all. There are only three big commercial multiplexes in the city centre. Odeon is not central and I find it has limited options outside blockbusters and kids films. Cineworld is well priced but very tatty and overrun with scumbags anytime I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I go to the Savoy about three times a month and avoid screen 1 at all costs. I even prefer Screen 9. I don't get the "might as well close it down" comments at all. There are only three big commercial multiplexes in the city centre. Odeon is not central and I find it has limited options outside blockbusters and kids films. Cineworld is well priced but very tatty and overrun with scumbags anytime I've been there.
    I don't thin I've been to the Savoy since the Ambassador closed, tbh. Went to either Cineworld or Screen cinema. Heck, I probably saw more films in the last 20 years at the Sugar Club, than I saw in the Savoy!

The main reasons were the amount of scum there seemed higher than Cineworld, and the films were at awkward times that didn't suit me. It also just looked minging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

the_syco wrote: »
    I don't thin I've been to the Savoy since the Ambassador closed, tbh. Went to either Cineworld or Screen cinema. Heck, I probably saw more films in the last 20 years at the Sugar Club, than I saw in the Savoy!

The main reasons were the amount of scum there seemed higher than Cineworld, and the films were at awkward times that didn't suit me. It also just looked minging.

That's completely the opposite to my experiences. I do go to Cineworld if it suits better but hate it. Never had any problems at the Savoy but so many visits to Cineworld ruined by scumbags left to misbehave. I always find the Savoy clean and well kept but Cineworld filthy and literally falling apart. If Cineworld was my only option I'd just stick with Vue and probably stop going regularly at all. I did like Screen but I wouldn't compare that or the likes of the Lighthouse to a big multiplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well you would have to say that O'Connell St is a mess, and Grafton St isn't. And the junkies are on O'Connell St, not on Grafton St.

O'Connell St was once the best street in the city. I wouldn't quite say its gone to ruin, but I would very definitely say that the shops there are out of kilter with the grandness of the old buildings that remain.

If today it was a street where Hugo Boss, Louis Vuitton and Chanel were happy to locate shops, rather than McDonalds, Burgerking and Supermacs, you can be sure there would be far less crime on the street also.

It's the same with patrick street in cork.half the street is filled with ecig and mobile phone shops,most don't even look like legitimate businesses.north main street then in cork could possibly be the most depressing street in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well you would have to say that O'Connell St is a mess, and Grafton St isn't. And the junkies are on O'Connell St, not on Grafton St.

O'Connell St was once the best street in the city. I wouldn't quite say its gone to ruin, but I would very definitely say that the shops there are out of kilter with the grandness of the old buildings that remain.

If today it was a street where Hugo Boss, Louis Vuitton and Chanel were happy to locate shops, rather than McDonalds, Burgerking and Supermacs, you can be sure there would be far less crime on the street also.

Grafton Street has lost most of its character and just looks like any European shopping street now. I was in there on Christmas Eve and couldn't believe how unfestive it looked. Brown Thomas was the only shop who had made any real effort, and the place was full of buskers and groups singing diddley eye music instead of Christmas carols. Really dreary and disappointing.

Advertisement