Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitting 40

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Must be what keeps that oul leech Hefner going, those young wans he saddles must be desperate to be famous.
    I get the impression that they're more desperate to become widows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Must be what keeps that oul leech Hefner going, those young wans he saddles must be desperate to be famous.

I'm sure he looks at it something like this.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

I once met a lady at an airport who went to high school with Hugh Hefner. She said that from the age of 13 he had a steady stream of girlfriends a mile long and that he was, without a doubt, the most charming, thoughtful, and intelligent man she had ever met.

But men can keep telling themselves it's his money that keeps him successful with women and not their personalities that keeps them from it.

NI24 wrote: »
    But men can keep telling themselves it's his money that keeps him successful with women and not their personalities that keeps them from it.
    I have absolutely no doubt that Hefner is a charming, thoughtful, and intelligent man who can punch way above the weight of the average man in terms of attracting younger women.

At the same time he's an 88-year old billionaire and it would be naive to think that the bit at the end there is not a factor. Were he just an average Joe financially, he'd undoubtedly have a smaller pool of younger women interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Turned 40 during the week and I've been following this thread with interest. I dreaded the birthday but so far it's been okay. One thing I do notice: 3 days of not watching what I eat and easing off on exercise results immediately in the weight piling on. Do. Not. Like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I turned 40 earlier this month. Initially I was horrified by the prospect, but now I'm completely over it. After all i still feel like a 25 year old, there is no feeling of aging. Except for a bit more grey hair (easily dyed) and my poor grinding knees that is. Started lifting weights at start of Jan and absolutely flying, so feeling stronger and fitter than I have in years. Life is full of possibilities at any age.

I have absolutely no doubt that Hefner is a charming, thoughtful, and intelligent man who can punch way above the weight of the average man in terms of attracting younger women.

At the same time he's an 88-year old billionaire and it would be naive to think that the bit at the end there is not a factor. Were he just an average Joe financially, he'd undoubtedly have a smaller pool of younger women interested in him.

Of course, but how did he make that money in the first place? Because he's a thoughtful, charming, and intelligent man. It's all a circle of success.

A man is only as old as the woman he feels.
    I don't understand this? Would you care to explain it? Or are you too much of a coward to defend your posts?

Of course, but how did he make that money in the first place? Because he's a thoughtful, charming, and intelligent man. It's all a circle of success.
    I suspect he made his money because through a combination of good business and luck - much like any self-made businessperson. Last time I checked Karma isn't on the curriculum of any business schools.
    I don't understand this? Would you care to explain it? Or are you too much of a coward to defend your posts?
    It's a quote from Groucho Marx. What exactly do you need explained to you?

I suspect he made his money because through a combination of good business and luck - much like any self-made businessperson. Last time I checked Karma isn't on the curriculum of any business schools.

It's a quote from Groucho Marx. What exactly do you need explained to you?

Wtf about karma? He's a good businessman because he's thoughtful and smart.

I don't care who quoted it, I asked for the meaning behind it. What part of my question confused you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm 45 now and while it doesn't really bother me, the fact that I'll be 50 in 5 years time is quite scary although I suspect it'll pass just like it did when I turned 40.

I'm actually fitter, stronger, slimmer/lighter now than I was all through my 30's and half of my 20's.

I rarely drink any more or go out but when I do I'm the first to go home as I'm
    Acutely aware of how I don't want a hangover the following day. If I lie in bed later than 10:30 on my days off I feel like crap and that I've wasted half the day. I watch what I eat and take care of myself better.

The one regret I do have is that I didn't do a lot more of the above when I was younger.

Turning 40 is nothing to fear, it's a good time in your life. Your still Young enough to do everything you done in your 20's and 30's (generally) and you appreciate stuff more. A lot of people seem to take stock of their lives around that age and as a result are generally healthier in their 40's.

Wtf about karma? He's a good businessman because he's thoughtful and smart.
    So is that the secret to business? All there is to running a successful enterprise? I expect you've set up and run a number of them given your insights.
    I don't care who quoted it, I asked for the meaning behind it. What part of my question confused you?
    The bit about cowardice. Not entirely sure where that comes into it.

As for who quoted it, that's actually quite important. Shouldn't take too much brain matter to figure out why? Still need help?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

40 last June. Doesn't bother me on the whole. However, we are all in a downward slope after 35. Its an imperceptibly slow decline for the most part but every now and then you can notice - weight is slightly harder to lose, a few more creaks getting out of bed, a strong aversion to being hung over, thinking you're cool again after a few likes on Facebook.

Yes, we are now entering a phase where life stops giving and starts to take away, right up until it knocks on your door :)

Hate to break it to you but that ain't life knocking on your door....;)

So is that the secret to business? All there is to running a successful enterprise? I expect you've set up and run a number of them given your insights.

The bit about cowardice. Not entirely sure where that comes into it.

As for who quoted it, that's actually quite important. Shouldn't take too much brain matter to figure out why? Still need help?

Uh, yeah, I think intelligence and insight are the keys to being a successful businessperson. You're actually arguing that point?!

And if you don't understand what I mean about cowardice then you must have the attention span of a butterfly.

Once again, you don't explain but avoid. You must really have a short memory. Do you not remember our little tiff 5 minutes ago?

Uh, yeah, I think intelligence and insight are the keys to being a successful businessperson. You're actually arguing that point?!
    Err... no, I'm not. I'm pointing out that your claim that "he's a good businessman because he's thoughtful and smart" is a simplistic load of nonsense. No doubt being "thoughtful and smart" are good qualities, but being successful in business is a bit more complex than that.

How much experience do you have in business that makes you such an authority?
    And if you don't understand what I mean about cowardice then you must have the attention span of a butterfly.

Once again, you don't explain but avoid. You must really have a short memory. Do you not remember our little tiff 5 minutes ago?
    The one where you sent me an abusive PM?

Let me see, you've read some meaning from the quote and decided that this is what it means and somehow contradicts what I wrote later. Beyond that, the interpretation you had, or anything else posted, let alone what you concluded made absolutely no sense to anyone but you.

If you want to make your argument here, and explain it in English, feel free, but from what I could see your PM was just a collection of incoherent ramblings and said so. As for using PM in the first place; top marks for creepiness.

So it's a bit difficult to defend myself when I'm not even sure what, according to whatever you imagine I have said, I'm defending.

Mod

NI24 I have no idea what your problem is but back off. You're being needlessly antagonistic with absolutely no provocation.

Err... no, I'm not. I'm pointing out that your claim that "he's a good businessman because he's thoughtful and smart" is a simplistic load of nonsense. No doubt being "thoughtful and smart" are good qualities, but being successful in business is a bit more complex than that.

How much experience do you have in business that makes you such an authority?

The one where you sent me an abusive PM?

Let me see, you've read some meaning from the quote and decided that this is what it means and somehow contradicts what I wrote later. Beyond that, the interpretation you had, or anything else posted, let alone what you concluded made absolutely no sense to anyone but you.

If you want to make your argument here, and explain it in English, feel free, but from what I could see your PM was just a collection of incoherent ramblings and said so. As for using PM in the first place; top marks for creepiness.

So it's a bit difficult to defend myself when I'm not even sure what, according to whatever you imagine I have said, I'm defending.

I used PM because I didn't want to derail the thread. And in that PM I was referencing a post you made a while back on another thread about the same subject. Hand on heart I thought you would remember it since it wasn't that long ago. You must get into alot of arguments with people, as you clearly don't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's at that age you need to go to the doctor and get a finger up your bum.....not all bad is it :D

Advertisement