Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitting 40

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    40 this year as well and like others above I don't feel it either

Here's a question.. is "turning 40" still a big deal as in do ye have a big bash etc? I don't think I'd have the interest.. just another day to me

I didn't do anything at all for mine, I was just so pissed off and neurotic about it, but a lot of people like to have a party. Just do or don't do whatever you want.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Here's a question.. is "turning 40" still a big deal as in do ye have a big bash etc?

Go on outta that ya durty fecker! Still, you gotta get rid of the ould pisshorn somehow I suppose, fire up Redtube and keep her lit :cool:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I had some dried in toothpaste on my chin this morning which I couldn't get off no matter how much I scrubbed. Then I realized it wasn't toothpaste at all, but my chin stubble has in fact turned white. The end is nigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It sucks.

Let's not try and circumvent that fact.

Also, a name change to JupiterAulFella is in order

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

http://Before I die, some words for my baby daughter. Paul Kalanithi ...

OP have a read of this article form the Guardian its about a doctor that died of cancer aged 37, when his daughter was only a few months old. Its very good about our perception of time passing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

40 last June. Doesn't bother me on the whole. However, we are all in a downward slope after 35. Its an imperceptibly slow decline for the most part but every now and then you can notice - weight is slightly harder to lose, a few more creaks getting out of bed, a strong aversion to being hung over, thinking you're cool again after a few likes on Facebook.

Yes, we are now entering a phase where life stops giving and starts to take away, right up until it knocks on your door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Turning 40 in Oct, used to eat and drink like the effects were temporary now I consider the longer term health implications and try and wind in the self abuse. Now being beyond tipsy drunk is very unappealing and I wouldn't get a good nights sleep if I over eat. Knocked the cigs on the head thankfully in my mid 30s. Second best decision I ever made.

In a nutshell, heading towards this age you have to lift the head up and look down the line a little bit. Start to think about the long term implications of your diet, personal finances etc. Got married relatively old (couple of years ago) which was the real game change in terms of being responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Don't worry, your still only a day older than yesterday.;)

You can't age an entire year in 24hours. If you don't feel any different then that's great!! Celebrate that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Janey Mac I'm nearly 40

.... something about grey hair ...

... something about a pension...

*drops banjo in disgust and walks off stage because semi-scenile brain can't remember lyrics*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

This thread just hit 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turning 40 is not so bad when you consider the alternative.

As for me, 44 now and healthier and fitter than I've ever been as a mild mid-life crisis made me take up running, get fit and lose weight.

For me the biggest difference with getting older is getting hair in places you never had it before and also you have to watch the weight.

I can't eat and drink like I used to as a young lad and not gain weight so a weekend's excess has to be burned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Know how you feel, I'm turning 30 tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

iDave wrote: »
    Know how you feel, I'm turning 30 tomorrow :(

Get out ya prick pup :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

kfallon wrote: »
    Get out ya prick pup :mad:

Not a pup anymore, auld like the rest of ye. Still a prick though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭josip

42 now and in the last 3 years everything has seized up.
    Both knees are clicky clicky after years of ball.
    Some days the joints don't get loosened up at all.
    Drunk after 2 pints, hangover after more than 3.
    Falling asleep by 9.
    Reckon if I can just keep going till I'm 46/47 I'll take anything after that as a bonus.
    40 is nearing the end of this level, no harm to start thinking about the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still a good few years off for me but have no apprehension about it. Always dreaded turning 30 but that subsided the closer it got and the day just passed by like any other (probably helped by spending it in Universal Studios) with no changes in who I was or what I enjoyed.

Have made some lifestyle changes (diet, went back playing football, swimming/walking more regularly, yoga) in the last year after excess during my 20's, so hopefully by the time 40 rolls around the wear and tear on my body won't be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Witchie wrote: »
    As a 41 year old my mickey usually still works as I like younger men.

OP, turning 40 is great. People take you seriously but you are still young enough to go out and have loads of fun. Have loved life more since turning 40. Think I am more comfortable in my own skin and don't give a toss what others think coz am of the opinion that I know myself well enough to know what works for me and they don't.

Enjoy it and happy birthday.

The deception!!! I was convinced you were a woman!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've still 2 years to go.

I presume the grey hairs will start appearing around then and the gut will start to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

jester77 wrote: »

I presume the grey hairs will start appearing around then and the gut will start to expand.

People make out that the weight piles on after middle age but haven't noticed that myself, eat reasonably healthy and ecercise and I don't think it should be a problem for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

at least youre not dead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I remember when I was in my teens hearing the following song and thinking it was just comedic exaggeration, but it's not. Almost everything Billy says happens.. happened. Mother nature must wear a fcuking Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

People make out that the weight piles on after middle age but haven't noticed that myself, eat reasonably healthy and ecercise and I don't think it should be a problem for anyone.

It doesn't. People are lazy, eat way too much, exercise way too little, and blame it on the fact that they're over 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Tis only a number

Don't turn in to an old fart.

I turned 40 a few years ago. I knew I'd become middle aged when I started listening to talk radio like Matt Cooper & George Hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The hair starts to fall through your head and comes out your ears and nose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The deception!!! I was convinced you were a woman!! :eek:

I am a woman....read it again.....I like younger mickey's that work. :D

As for the party thing - do what makes you happy but personally I had gone through a lot of crap in previous 2 decades and was finally feeling like I had something to celebrate so I did with a fantastic night of 70s style fun (including birds trifle in shot glasses, cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks stuck into a pineapple and fancy dress costumes) with those who mean the most to me and instead of presents asked for money to help make a friend of mine who is very sick more comfortable in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Your mickey should stay working till your 91.

That's the best news I've heard in yonks.

Von Trapp family like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'll be 40 this year and I had planned on giving up playing football then. But one of my mates is still playing and he turned 40 last year. If I give up before him I'll never hear the fcuking end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nearly 47 now

I'm physically stronger than I've ever been in my life. Fairly fit too and no medical issues. Tight and young looking body but a few kilos of excess weight on the stomach. I like my food and I eat loads. Everything in my body works very well. 10-15 years ago I could drink the equivalent of 4 bottles of wine and sleep for only 4 hours and be fine. That is no longer the case. I can barely do either of those now.

Can't complain I suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Today I turned 40 but I don't feel 40. I honestly don't know where the last 20 years have gone - they've certainly flown.

Boards.ie wished me a happy birthday. Any other AHers who have hit the big 40 got any advice or words of wisdom?
    A man is only as old as the woman he feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A man is only as old as the woman he feels.

Must be what keeps that oul leech Hefner going, those young wans he saddles must be desperate to be famous.

Advertisement