Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse of the Sun

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Can't get Bonnie Tyler out of my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I laughed. Does that show my age. Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Is this true?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/solar-eclipse-set-to-darken-the-sky-over-ireland-on-friday-morning-1.2144546
    “If you look into a telescope pointed towards the sun you could be blinded before you could blink,” warned David Moore, of Astronomy Ireland.

I'm aware of the myth/claim that Galileo went blind through observing the sun via telescope, but can it really happen momentarily? Seems doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Even with 90-95 percent coverage (in the NW), its still pretty spectacular. Looking forward to it, as long as the weather plays ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This coming Friday morning, if the weather cooperates, Boardsies will be able to see a partial eclipse of the sun. A total eclipse will be visible from the Faroe Islands and Svalbard up in the Arctic.

I'll be looking out for this eclipse. Remember never to look into the sun directly as it can damage your vision.
    I am going to try and and find a good spot in Dublin. Taking the morning for it. :P

I have a friend I will watch with he and I seem to have a tradition of watching solar and lunar or sky events together now!

conorh91 wrote: »
    Is this true?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/solar-eclipse-set-to-darken-the-sky-over-ireland-on-friday-morning-1.2144546

I'm aware of the myth/claim that Galileo went blind through observing the sun via telescope, but can it really happen momentarily? Seems doubtful.

I would NOT recommend putting it to the test, were you never told not to look directly at the sun as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Is this true?

A telescope is a lens (probably multiple) that focuses light to a point. If the source of that light is particularly strong (and contains certain wavelenghts of light) then all that light (wavelenghts) will be focused on a particular point in your eye so yes it is true that you can damage your retina.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Piece of card with pinhole punched in it and reflect it onto a white page is probably safest way to view it (or something like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

FG will introduce a new Eclipse Tax.

Homeowners across the country can pay in installments, or one up front payment of E400.

Bargain I say...

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I would NOT recommend putting it to the test, were you never told not to look directly at the sun as a kid!
    Yeah, I know it can damage your eyesight, it was the matter of being instantly blinded I'd question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah, I know it can damage your eyesight, it was the matter of being instantly blinded I'd question.

Yes. Instantly blinded. No question. Plenty of literature available to you online. Go search.

Well weather you are instantly blinded, or you damage your retenas enough to cause temporary blindness or detoration of your sight over time, i still wouldn't put it to the test.

Well weather you are instantly blinded, or you damage your retenas enough to cause temporary blindness or detoration of your sight over time, i still wouldn't put it to the test.

Instant. And permanent.

No messing about with this one, boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's not instant unless you use powerful optics. Otherwise it will take many minutes. Your eyes can recover to a certain extent up to 12-18 months after limited damage but if you burn a hole you are blind for good.

endacl wrote: »
    Instant. And permanent.

No messing about with this one, boys and girls.

There will still be a few idiots who will try and view it directly though.

Trying to remember what I used last time, other than the pin hole through a peice of card, projected on to a peice of paper.

In 1999 we didn't have smartphones, so people will be probably be using them for more stupid ways to view.

It's not instant unless you use powerful optics. Otherwise it will take many minutes. Your eyes can recover to a certain extent up to 12-18 months after limited damage but if you burn a hole you are blind for good.

I wouldn't normally be so blunt, but considering the event tomorrow, and the footfall this forum gets....

Stop talking nonsense. You very obviously haven't the first clue about the subject. Go away. In case one single person takes you seriously on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Forcast for the Louth area... not looking good which sucks.

ECLIPSE FORECAST:
    Latest predictions are not good unfortunately, as a weak front is due to cross south over us early Friday morning. However having waited many years for this event, I live in hope. I also feel for those who are travelling to the Faroe Islands, one of the few places where the total eclipse will occur. Here rain is forecast.
    Even with cloud cover, it will be noticeably darker around the 9.30am max, and temperatures should drop a few degrees.

UPDATE:
    FRIDAY will be cloudy with some light rain during the morning. Currently less than 5% chance of seeing the eclipse.

In 1999 we didn't have smartphones, so people will be probably be using them for more stupid ways to view.

No harm in using your phone camera to view it.

endacl wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally be so blunt, but considering the event tomorrow, and the footfall this forum gets....

Stop talking nonsense. You very obviously haven't the first clue about the subject. Go away.
    Enda do us a favour go stare at the sun and report back. Too early for this pointless bitchiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

fizzypish wrote: »

This needs to be clarified! Do not look at the sun even through the camera.........the advice on this is all over the place!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wonder will the street lamps come on and the birds feeling tricked fall asleep in the trees

fizzypish wrote: »

And how would you propose lining it up? As you are looking though the screen, you could inadvertently look directly. Am actually surprised you advise that without explaining more considering your comments on viewing it through a telescope.

I wonder will the street lamps come on and the birds feeling tricked fall asleep in the trees

It will certainly trick the birds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Could you watch it through the video camera on your phone?

When I was a kid I looked at a noon sun through a pair of 7x50 Binocolors ,
    The searing heat and instant pain made me immediately drop them, I'd say it was for less then half a second but it was enough to let me know any longer and I would have permanently damaged my eyes.

Don't risk it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jamesbere wrote: »

Probably need a dark lens to see anything I'd imagine.
    Sunglass lens over the camera lens might work.

jamesbere wrote: »

Sure, but you may f*ck up your sensor on your phone ...

And how would you propose lining it up? As you are looking though the screen, you could inadvertently look directly. Am actually surprised you advise that without explaining more considering your comments on viewing it through a telescope.

Fine. Should have clarified. Easy tiger. Any digital camera and all phone cameras are as such. Que someone finding a phone with a lens to look through...

Someone asked a question on an open forum and I just threw up an answer to the best of my knowledge. I hereby issue a disclaimer to all boardsies. All comments by me should be taken with a pinch of salt as I have not taken the time to properly do research, run tests and analyses the results thus proving the comment worthy. I am a fraud and a charlatan. *Leaves room, head hanging low...*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Is this a sequel to Empire of the Sun where Christian Bale is starry eyed oul fella who is nostalgic about the good ol' days ?

Advertisement