Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse of the Sun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Karl Stein wrote: »

Lovely clear skies over Cork. I used a pinhole in a sheet of paper to project the image but still glanced up at the Sun briefly because I'm a defiant idiot.

Just another dull day here in finglas/ballymun,the birds where acting strange alright... My one even cooked me a nice breakfast :pac:
    The one back in '99 was much better,didn't go dark but everything looked kinda weird.You mentioned looking at it directly despite warnings not to,I think everyone is guilty of that,whether they like to admit it or not!

I'm glad of the cloud cover, meant I could actually get the odd photo through the clouds when they were lighter. Sun is shining away out there now, I managed to see the reflection of it in a neighbour's window and there was only still the slightest bite taken out of it. Got bloody cold out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The clouds cleared here about five minutes ago, such a pity it was cloudy till now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's not anti climactic, it's just a non event. A satellite of a planet partially obscures the star it orbits, like it has done countless millions of times since the dawn of time.

Whoop whoop, hold the bleeding phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I had no specific filter for this kind of thing so I put all the filters I had on the camera and it worked. Then the clouds rolled in and made things better because I didn't need any filter at all. Then a horse came up to me and I took his picture too.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why were you expecting darkness when there was no totality here?

This is after hours and not astronomy. We can have expectations beyond your wildest beliefs. I had Jean Michel Jarre playing War of the Worlds in preparation for this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

mariaalice wrote: »
    The clouds cleared here about five minutes ago, such a pity it was cloudy till now.
    God hates Irish people. He just trolled us

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭josip

Shrap wrote: »
    My hens got a bit confused for 10 minutes. They started getting off the ground and roosting, even though they'd just come out of the hen house a few hours before! Other than that, just looked like a dull overcast day, with a weirdly blue sky to me....good seeing the sickle effect though.

Hens are stupid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My high resolution shot taken outside Loughrea at the height of the fabulousness.

Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NBCPass

In Killarney. Couldn't see a thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Lapin wrote: »
    My high resolution shot taken outside Loughrea at the height of the fabulousness.

Yeah, that looks like the sun often does in Loughrea!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Amazing

you're being sarcastic :confused: yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

josip wrote: »
    Hens are stupid

Little bit...

I've had a few clever ones, but most are pretty dim, it's true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Saw it very clearly in west Cork. Looked at its reflection on my phone and I could see it very clearly though while not as bad as staring directly isnt far off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Amazing

End-of-year photojournalism shortlist here we come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

the_monkey wrote: »

That can't be him, is it.
    A foul-mouthed Brian Cox. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

That can't be him, is it.
    A foul-mouthed Brian Cox. LOL.

course not ...

My Dad took it seriously , I'm gonna wind him up to the max over this..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mariaalice wrote: »

Broken cloud cover here beforehand,clouded over for the eclipse and sunny again now.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the_monkey wrote: »

well at least he was honest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

the worst thing about this eclipse is that I've had "total eclipse of the heart" stuck in my head for the past two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It's not anti climactic, it's just a non event. A satellite of a planet partially obscures the star it orbits, like it has done countless millions of times since the dawn of time.

Whoop whoop, hold the bleeding phone!

For most people total eclipses are once in a lifetime events. We haven't individually been around for millions of years.

Of course this one wasn't total but I expected more from 93%+. Still would like to see a total sometime. Next is 2090.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I am looking forward to tonights solar eclipse. Sun 100% eclipsed by the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Of course this one wasn't total but I expected more from 93%+. Still would like to see a total sometime. Next is 2090.

Yeah I'm thinking the difference between 95% and 100% must be like, well, night and day...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Reackon we could make do with five percent sunlight.
    What's the other ninty five percent for?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well the clouds broke enough for it to be viewed in sligo for a few seconds at 95% totality. No images as do not have the relative filters, and experiment to take pictures of the shadows did not work as too much cloud cover.

Still a great experience though, with relation to the darkening, the cooling down, and quietness. Lets hope August the 12th, 2026 gives us better weather though. There are other partials here in between, but dont think they are any more than 40-60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I looked straight at it. Don't tell my mother

There is a short story by Isaac Asimov called Nightfall .... check it out.

That's a special Eclipse !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

Here in Limerick at 9.45 the clouds obliged and the light was amazing. Tried to look at it (I know, I know) but impossible because of the extreme brightness. Glad I got a millisecond glimpse of it.

Advertisement