Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licences closed until 3pm.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

syklops wrote: »
    Im really torn on this issue. On the one hand i see the benefit of it. Less drunken teenagers people on the streets who get hammered watching the parade causing chaos. Its actually surprisingly forward thinking of those in charge.

On the other hand, the simple reality is that being drunk and disorderly is a crime in Ireland but the law is not enforced. Other countries have similar laws and they have 24 hour licensing and they dont have any of the problems we have with people going on the rampage, and its because the law is enforced and anyone being in a drunken or disorderly fashion is swiftly dealt with.

So instead on inconveniencing normal people, could we not just enforce the laws we have?

I think the real issue for St Patricks day was that before this rule was introduced there were thousands of kids in the city boozing and causing caos during the parade. They knew their strength was in their numbers.

You would need thousands of Gardai on the streets to arrest them all and keep order.

Who would bring their kids in to see the parade with thousands of Gardai and thousands of drunk kids doing battle?
    Easier to cut off the supply.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Alcohol free year would be better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The slabs will be finished off by half four so the tourists still wont have enough time to escape the beatings

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You could have bought drink in any Supermarket since 12.30, amateur mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think the real issue for St Patricks day was that before this rule was introduced there were thousands of kids in the city boozing and causing caos during the parade. They knew their strength was in their numbers.

You would need thousands of Gardai on the streets to arrest them all and keep order.

Who would bring their kids in to see the parade with thousands of Gardai and thousands of drunk kids doing battle?
    Easier to cut off the supply.

Yeah but I wasn't just talking about St Patricks Day. Introduce a policy of zero tolerance for drunk and disorderly behaviour, not just on March 17th but year round and you will see a decline in the drunk and disorderly culture. People who have been arrested in the past will be less inclined to risk a repeat.

You dont need a thousand gardai to arrest every single drunk, you just need it known that drunkeness is not tolerated and if you are drunk or disorderly you face the risk of being taken in. The situation at the moment is there are no consequences for being drunk in Public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I think it's good that the off license is closed for a while.

It won't stop the mess though, I can see already people locked and the A&E guys will earn every penny tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

rubadub wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? His publican buddies wouldn't want to forgo another one of their potentially most profitable days.

There is a voluntary code of dublin offies closing at 4pm today.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-off-licences-patricks-day-1363370-Mar2014/

Now why didn't FF call for pubs to be closed till then too? oh thats right, most of the buddies own pubs not offies. ****ing cunts.

No I was only joking. :) But if Enda and his nanny state enforcement party bring in minimum pricing for alcohol which they are threatening to do, going to the offie wont be any cheaper than going to the Pub to drink!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Firefox11 wrote: »
    No I was only joking. :) But if Enda and his nanny state enforcement party bring in minimum pricing for alcohol which they are threatening to do, going to the offie wont be any cheaper than going to the Pub to drink!!

They are saying we have to many offies as well and want a load closed big surprise.. That was on the news with some Muppet going on about think of the children. Saying henry street and all that are covered in messy drunks.

If he means out of their face junkies in to collect their methadone and what ever else they get up to, Yeah that maybe true. He's was trying to paint a picture where it was Joe public doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

They are saying we have to many offies as well and want a load closed big surprise.. That was on the news with some Muppet going on about think of the children. Saying henry street and all that are covered in messy drunks.

If he means out of their face junkies in to collect their methadone and what ever else they get up to, Yeah that maybe true. He's was trying to paint a picture where it was Joe public doing it.

Well it's the cheapest option rather than getting the guards to enforce the public order laws properly. If you were drunk and disorderly on the streets of most european capitals you would soon know about it!!

Well it's the cheapest option rather than getting the guards to enforce the public order laws properly.

Nope, It's more like publiticians trying to crush competition. Every time I hear public health and drink in the same sentence as a person who either owns a pub or has family or whatever, My first though is not "oh they are trying the help". We have a severe lack of law enforcement in general, That's why these junkies and all that can walk around with 100 previous and hassle everyone, that then gets used to paint oh look at the drink problem. It's all just to get you back into the pub to be fleeced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Be sure to have a big breakfast roll first. It makes for a better quality vomit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Nope, It's more like publiticians trying to crush competition. Every time I hear public health and drink in the same sentence as a person who either owns a pub or has family or whatever, My first though is not "oh they are trying the help". We have a severe lack of law enforcement in general, That's why these junkies and all that can walk around with 100 previous and hassle everyone, that then gets used to paint oh look at the drink problem. It's all just to get you back into the pub to be fleeced.

I have never seen a word i hated more than publiticians

I have never seen a word i hated more than publiticians

What would you call them then :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If they are SF bar owners would they be called Republiticians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Pub owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A-holes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jesus, it's only till three. You have some problem there, don't you.
    The solution is to buy some alcohol the night before
    or, allow the businesses to trade when they see fit. after all, nothing is being achieved by having them closed

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Consider yourself lucky. I hear enda is planning on making st patricks day next year an alchol free day next year. :O

Fun fact; until the 1960's this day was just Christmas Day and Good Friday.

Lobbying went on about the tourists not getting served and so the ban was lifted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Just have tea instead. That's what I do. Tea is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

You could have visited a pub I presume? One of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.

• Advertisement

You could have visited a pub I presume? One of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.
    nobody is "offended" by anything. many of us just don't see the point of restricting one particular business for reasons no longer relevant to modern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

nobody is "offended" by anything. many of us just don't see the point of restricting one particular business for reasons no longer relevant to modern ireland

Yeah, awful oppression.

Yeah, awful oppression.
    yeah, whatever you want to think

Advertisement