Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Tony Abbott's St Patrick's Day message is offensive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

LOLstralia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If we associate our national day with drinking what do we expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Not really offensive at all is it?

As far as I know the man is a total gimp, but that's about as far as I'd be "offended" by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If we associate our national day with drinking what do we expect?

HOW.DARE.YOU!

Sure, I'm 'entitled' to a drink on our national holiday.

Anyways, my dole pays your wages

Wompa1 wrote: »

Sure, I'm 'entitled' to a drink on our national holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Haha, When I saw that epsidoe, I was thinking of Ireland and how an angry mob would be waiting outside for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Hmm think you have to take with a pinch of salt what someone says from a country that's trying to embarrass people into not drink driving. Also is he forgetting the castlemaine 4x adds. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Conservative politician says something,cue outrage from the perenially outraged,people who don't like the man or his policies will use anything as a stick to beat him with,even something as weak as his message.

A bit similar to when Lord Emperor of Irish people in America got a bit miffed at a John McCain joke and ran with it (nothing at all to do with being a dyed in the wool democrat of the Clinton persuasion)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭golfball37

How is this even news? I see Enda leapt to our defence over it, strange I was more offended by him telling the world we all partied than someone assuming we have a drink culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Offensive no, but he seems like a smug git. This is from the country who brought us 'Round the Twist', nutters!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think we live in a dystopia where the machines are farming us for offended feelings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Got a picture of New york or any other popular St. Patrick's day area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He's an Australian so its odds on that whatever he's saying is crass and offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If they find that offensive, they'll go to town on the LA Galaxy team message for St. Patricks Day.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/video/2015/03/13/happy-st-patricks-day-robbie-keane-la-galaxy

<script height="540px" width="960px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=x5NzR5czpShX13ByRZ9bY2EZ9EqL6hTg&pbid=593075e6e23740a1b70140d7cc53cf13"></script&gt;

EDIT: Bottom thing is the embed code, dunno how to put it into message properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Anyone that finds Tony Abbott's few words offensive needs to recalibrate their sensitivity beacons. If Enda Kenny passed a remark about Aussies love of vegemite, only sick Australians would object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thread disappoints

I watched the video expecting a rant about immigrants and I was going to dive in with some comments about sheep stealing ancestors

But it was a nice message, boring and nice

What exactly was meant to be offensive about it?

If you want to see some *really* cringe speeches the shamrock ceremony at the white house will be live here shortly

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It felt a bit contrived but hardly offensive?? He meant well, obviously, it was a nice message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Cienciano wrote: »
    Nothing offensive at all about it imho.

FFS, The scrooge of paddys day. People like to have a drink on paddys day, deal with it.

A drink. Two or three even. Not ending up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dafuq? Even the most overly sensitive PC loon, couldn't find anything wrong with that message.

No doubt someone will, because there's always one about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

What exactly was meant to be offensive about it?

He joked about having a guinness ..or two..or even three to celebrate the day. Apparently reinforcing drinking stereotypes. Utter BS, but yeah thats where the 'offence' was found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If you want to be offended switch over to fox news, theyre laying down the drunken Irish stereotype thick and heavey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why is the PM of Australia doing a message related to a foreign country's national holiday? :confused:

Probably because about one in three Australians have Irish blood, and alot of them will will mark the day in some way. Also, alot of them vote. It's a bit like an Irish Taoiseach who doesn't know a bicycle chain from handlebars turning up at the end of the Tour de France to be photographed with an Irish winner, or a T.D. appearing at the funeral of somebody he never knew, a bit gauche but hardly calling for a revolution. I would be slightly more exercised by Joe Biden telling those wearing orange that they weren't welcome at the party. Has he ever seen the Irish flag? I regret a certain lack of inclusiveness in St. Patrick's Day celebrations, such as the New York cardinal's assertion that the day belongs to a certain faith and heritage. Somebody should tell him that the first St. Patk's Day parade in N.Y. took place in 1762, organised by Irish Protestants. In the past the latter were largely frozen out of the GAA, the Gaelic League and St. Patrick's Day. Some of those have gone some way to redress the balance. N.Y. is lagging far behind.
    Would the French get excited if we exhorted them to have a glass or two of Champagne on Bastille Day? Some people rise in the morning and the day isn't right until they have been able to take offence. Yes, Abbott has, for instance, adopted a petty, mealymouthed attitude to the Aborigines on one or two issues, but that is a separate matter.
    Let's see how many are arrested tonight, and then decide if Abbott, on the contrary, should have encouraged us to stay away from the Guinness.
    I once encountered on St Patk's Day a South African draped in green conversing with two loud, very intoxicated Dubliners. When he informed them that he was Muslim the lady was shocked saying : " sure you're not a f----g Muslim, Ali, you're not like that f----r Osama bin Laden."
    So, sit back, enjoy the day with or without your Guinness, ignore other people's negativity over the day and dont create any yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The video doesn't offend me but I loath the association with drink Ireland has acquired. Ask a German, Canadian or American what do they think of when they think of Ireland and their answer will contain some form of drink / alcohol / guiness.

Great for Diageo, not so great for the rest of us who don't want to be the world's laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Here's one. There is twibbon on Twitter with the slogan "straight up for equality". It's pro marriage equality.

Outrage because why mention being straight at all? You could say "yes for equality". it's a slur on gays. The term gay is also a slur. I'm sorry. I'll leave the thread.

I'm still being offended by all the people calling it Paddy's day and not Saint Patrick's Day.
    So busy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

He looks like he's chewing on those words that he has had someone write for him.

Ah no :(

The pint comes out again

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/577973764987727872

Surely the powers that be must realise that this is not the best image for Ireland to be sending? Can they not avoid handing heads of state a pint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I found nothing wrong with that video at all. What's everyone making such a big deal about?

Advertisement