Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Tony Abbott's St Patrick's Day message is offensive?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

In the Sydney Morning Herald it has a poll to ask whether the message is offensive. 54% say yes so far. The youtube title describes it as 'patronising'.

I don't know much about Tony Abbott but I have seen the odd video clip and seen him appear in various headlines for allegedly being misogynistic and racist but I don't have any issue with him in this video.

When have we become so sensitive that we get offended when someone connects St Patrick's Day to alcohol? Obviously it's not the image we would like to convey but we can't blame other countries for making that connection.

We need to clean up our image and not be offended when other people 'say it like it (often) is'.

Do you think Tony Abbott's St Patrick's Day message is offensive? 20 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thats it!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I find Abbott offensive, he's a total dickhead who will do nothing for Australia in the long term.

The message itself isn't offensive to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Only a gobshíte would be 'offended' by that rubbish. That's not to say he isn't a feckin eejit, but in fairness to him, his knowledge of Ireland is more than likely limited to the impression we give people like him.

It may shock the egos of some people here, but he probably couldn't give a fiddlers toss about Ireland and in the great scheme of things, we are just an insignificant little blotch on the far side of the planet near Europe and the U.K.

He was badly advised in the making of that video clip, but then, the real people he was addressing in it are just as ignorant on Ireland themselves, i.e. The average Australian voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No not at all, being Irish and celebrating St. Patrick's day is all about the craic . That's what he is saying, I think it was a nice message.

stunmer wrote: »

When have we become so sensitive that we get offended when someone connects St Patrick's Day to alcohol? Obviously it's not the image we would like to convey but we can't blame other countries for making that connection.

Well we're doing a damn good job at it.

Every visiting senior politician visiting our shore gets a pint shoved in their hand for a photo op down the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Christ I was expecting something far worse. It's silly twee sh*te that makes him look like a gobsh*te more than anything. There's plenty worse examples of Australian prejudice than this to be honest, sometimes I think people go looking for stuff to be offended by.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes Guinness is not Irish.

Also lols at Enda Kenny making a furore over Abbott's comments about "a Guinness or two". He was whinging that Irish people will celebrate in a responsible fashion.

This would be less laughable if drink didn't cause absolute carnage across Ireland and abroad on this day every year.

Also lols at Enda Kenny making a furore over Abbott's comments about "a Guinness or two". He was whinging that Irish people will celebrate in a responsible fashion.

This would be less laughable if drink didn't cause absolute carnage across Ireland and abroad on this day every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why is the PM of Australia doing a message related to a foreign country's national holiday? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We get photo opportunities with every leader and royalty holding a pint of the black stuff. So don't understand what the issue is.

The message is in good nature, however delivered by a buffoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I was more offended by Sky News' report on the Irish economic recovery on Saturday morning. It started with a barman teaching tourists how to pull a pint of Guinness, and ended with the words "The Irish will drink to that." I'm not making excuses for Abbot's behaviour, but at least his comments were in relation to a festival, and festivals, almost by definition, turn people into idiots. However, Sky's report was a 10 minute, rather serious, economic report, and they couldn't help but bookend it with lazy, stage-Irish 'bantz'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm more offended by the inevitable sights that will be seen up and down the country come the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

fryup wrote: »

The Irish are treating Australian neighbourhoods like slums?

I was on holiday in NSW in November and the only slums I seen were the ones where, as expected, the people with brown skin had been shovelled into.

Australian's problems are bigger than rampaging bog-men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why is the PM of Australia doing a message related to a foreign country's national holiday? :confused:

Irish Australians eligible to vote ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would be more offended by it were it not for the fact that thousands of people will spend the day drinking until they pass out and vomit on themselves.

Maybe if we don't want people to see us as drunken louts we should stop glorifying in drinking culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

After I got up this morning, I naturally browsed the internet looking for things to be offended by. As I do every day.

Although this is somebody at the other side of the world, it's still enough to work with. So thanks.
    This can provide my outrage fix until at least lunchtime.

I heard something about a rude x-factor judge in New Zealand, a story which I shall look into later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

i fail to see what is offensive about it. a lot of people will go for a few sociables on this sunny, warm holiday and that is fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

After I got up this morning, I naturally browsed the internet looking for things to be offended by. As I do every day.

Although this is somebody at the other side of the world, it's still enough to work with. So thanks.
    This can provide my outrage fix until at least lunchtime.

I heard something about a rude x-factor judge in New Zealand, a story which I shall look into later today.

Here's one. There is twibbon on Twitter with the slogan "straight up for equality". It's pro marriage equality.

Outrage because why mention being straight at all? You could say "yes for equality". it's a slur on gays. The term gay is also a slur. I'm sorry. I'll leave the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On Australia Day, Enda Kenny should offer a greeting to our antipodean cousins with a BBQ fork sticking out of his arse, drinking two cans of VB with straws strapped to a cork hat, humming Waltzing Matilda while manually stimulating a kangaroo.

Thats not to insult Australia, I just like seeing Kenny humiliated.

Huppy Oztrailia Day ya flamin' galahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm more offended by the fact that he seems not to have the capacity to perfect the Tony Blair hand movements that all politicians around the world have adopted, he is failing miserably.

I did laugh at the bit where he said "sorry I can't there be there to celebrate it with you".

No worries Tony me old mate.

None of our politicians are here either !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nothing offensive at all about it imho.
    kylith wrote: »
    I would be more offended by it were it not for the fact that thousands of people will spend the day drinking until they pass out and vomit on themselves.

Maybe if we don't want people to see us as drunken louts we should stop glorifying in drinking culture.
    I'm more offended by the inevitable sights that will be seen up and down the country come the evening.

FFS, The scrooge of paddys day. People like to have a drink on paddys day, deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cienciano wrote: »

FFS, The scrooge of paddys day. People like to have a drink on paddys day, deal with it.

Well, that was exactly my point; you can't really get offended by someone talking about drinking on Paddy's day since so many people will be drinking on Paddy's day. If a foreigner talking about drinking on Paddy's day offends someone then they would want to examine how and why Paddy's day got a reputation for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

kylith wrote: »
    Well, that was exactly my point; you can't really get offended by someone talking about drinking on Paddy's day since so many people will be drinking on Paddy's day. If a foreigner talking about drinking on Paddy's day offends someone then they would want to examine how and why Paddy's day got a reputation for drinking.

Hint: it's because we have a reputation for being drunks, which we don't exactly do anything to combat.

Ah hang on now we have a responsible drinking campaign that will sort it all out.There taking it very serious this time and.....
    Wait a minute,who did you say was sponsoring it! :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Get over yourself if you are offended by that ffs. If you really want to see something that makes you feel uncomfortable I think you should turn on the TV and watch the Parade right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

just listened to it, I can't hear anything offensive in it...???? what should it be? he regrets he can't be in Ireland to take part in the celebrations and drink some pints.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cienciano wrote: »

I like an odd drink meself once in a blue moon, but I've never been too fond of puking on, pissing on or lamping somebody, then waking up having crapped myself not knowing or caring where I am or who I insulted the night before.

Just doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

stunmer wrote: »
    Do you think Tony Abbott's St Patrick's Day message is offensive?

Dafuq? Even the most overly sensitive PC loon, couldn't find anything wrong with that message.

Advertisement