Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Lout Irish and its worse we are getting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah whatever

H before a except when posting drunk. Oh..look...c'rected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

H before a except when posting drunk. Oh..look...c'rected.

Are you 12, or just have the mental age of a 12 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Jesus thats nothing where I live down a lane in Dublin we have every manky nacor dumping.
    Just two weeks ago a local family dumped at lest 30 black bags and tried to torch it.
    D**kheads didnt count on the fire going out and all there info still on the paper nice and waiting there for the litter warden.
    They even dumped there credit cards.
    Problem is when these families get the fine they just throw it in the bin.

Travellers locals romanians polish the only people I have never caught dumping is Africans the drainage ditches are full of rubbish and the rats are everywhere.

But this place is worth fighting for and god when I catch them they pay big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Are you 12, or just have the mental age of a 12 year old?

Mental age. And proud thereof. A sort of Alzheimers in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Haha..if only you seen Manilla in The Philippines. Every 5 minutes you see someone pissing against a wall, and there are no public bins so everyone just throws their rubbish on the ground.

At night, all households just throw their days trash out onto the street (not even in bin bags). Homeless people and animals then scavenge what they can from it. In the mornings, a truck goes around with some guys who shovel up the remains into the back of a truck, but leave quite a bit behind. There's a river in the Tonda area that you can't actually see because of the amount of plastic floating in it. Seriously, it's about a foot deep. Here...have a look:
    http://i1.wp.com/www.streetchildadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Blog-Feb-5a.jpg

After living here for a while, I will never complain about Dublin again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Mental age. And proud thereof. A sort of Alzheimers in reverse.

Sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

It would help if they spend less time teaching children religion in school and a bit more time teaching them how to be a good citizen. But nobody seems to care about that.

Was home last week and I was shocked by the rubbish as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Rubbish was everywhere when I was a kid and 30 odd years later it still is and not to put too fine a point on it, it's fcuking disgusting. For all the progress we like to beat our chests about we're still largely a dirty nation. All the talk of being a knowledge economy and we still don't know how to put rubbish in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭baldbear

The amount of Dog shíte left unclaimed is another one. Sometimes I feel like wiping the dog shít in irresponsible owners faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would put a flytipper in the same boat as a head the ball selling gear on bachelor's walk. Both don't give a fcuk about the damage they do as long as they make/save money. Both have very little fear of being caught. Both set an awful example to others.

• Advertisement

baldbear wrote: »
    The amount of Dog shíte left unclaimed is another one. Sometimes I feel like wiping the dog shít in irresponsible owners faces.

They've a new way of dealing with dog sh!te around our way - put it in little black bags and abandon it hanging on the nearest tree or fence. Sometimes on the path, so it gets squashed. So now you have plastic and dig sh!te that's gong no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

A bit regional, I know, but can anyone in the Wexford area tell me what is going on between the Maldron & Whitford roundabouts? For some reason people (presumably out walking) are putting discarded plastic bottles over the end twigs of trees. Basically, they are dressing the trees and hedgerows like Christmas Trees. Horrible to look at but it highlights the litter problem

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Honest question. Do the smokers who throw their cigarette butts out of the car window know they are littering or do they not see it as such? Will anyone here admit to doing it and give their thoughts?

Also, I remember in the 90's there were big billboards at ports of entry saying Welcome to Dublin, Please Excuse the Litter". Morto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Four ideas:

1. A 50c deposit on all glass bottles, plastic bottles and cans; both alcoholic and non alcoholic. Be able to return them to any shop that sells bottles or cans. It's not impossible, Germany reintroduced this around 2002. Deposit bottles exist in a lot of other countries. A lot of them have vending machines where they can be returned.

2. Bin charges to be part of household charge and bins to be collected for free. Along with this, introduce the German "Spermullkarte" (Junk Card). You get two cards per annum and can bring anything up to a large van free of charge to a recycling depot with anything in it.
    This is one of the reasons why Dublin City Council introduced waste charges a few years ago, they got rid of it before the household charge came in to make it cheaper.

3. Or, do what som cities abroad do, and any junk you have you put it on the street for three days, after which it is coillected. Anyone can sort through the waste and get what they want for themselves in the meantime. We kitted a whole apartment out using this in Frankfurt back in the 90's.

4. All garden waste should be free to dump in council tips or in composting places if they want, again part of household charge.

Waste should be charged at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i don't think we're as litter lout as we once were, civic awareness is more prevalent than a generation ago...thanks partly to the tidy towns and the like

Red Kev wrote: »
    Four ideas:

1. A 50c deposit on all glass bottles, plastic bottles and cans; both alcoholic and non alcoholic. Be able to return them to any shop that sells bottles or cans. It's not impossible, Germany reintroduced this around 2002. Deposit bottles exist in a lot of other countries. A lot of them have vending machines where they can be returned.

2. Bin charges to be part of household charge and bins to be collected for free. Along with this, introduce the German "Spermullkarte" (Junk Card). You get two cards per annum and can bring anything up to a large van free of charge to a recycling depot with anything in it.
    This is one of the reasons why Dublin City Council introduced waste charges a few years ago, they got rid of it before the household charge came in to make it cheaper.

3. Or, do what som cities abroad do, and any junk you have you put it on the street for three days, after which it is coillected. Anyone can sort through the waste and get what they want for themselves in the meantime. We kitted a whole apartment out using this in Frankfurt back in the 90's.

4. All garden waste should be free to dump in council tips or in composting places if they want, again part of household charge.

Waste should be charged at source.

All good suggestions. I think losing our indigenous glass industry here saw the end of glass recycling (I.e washing and reusing). That's not to say it couldn't become economically viable again.

Like you I lived in Germany and got all sits of things for my student res - couches, irons even a stereo. But I couldn't see it working here - thrtes not enough civic pride and coo on to make it work.

What really annoys me here is that people will go to great lengths to dump many items that can be recycled or up cycled - TVs hoovers old PCs strewn in ditches where they could be of use to someone. There's a perfectly good child's car seat in the ditch on the way to clonee - surely if use to someone before it was dumped. Perhaps having no change for these items would cut this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm not sure if anyone has raised this already, but the issue of cigarette butts has me totally bewildered. It's acceptable to throw a butt onto the ground and walk away from it. Thankfully, I live in a town where members of the public would chastise you if you littered, but that doesn't apply to cigarette butts. Why is it acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Not as bad a problem as it used to be in my opinion. People seem to much more aware of it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

I don't think litter in my area is that much of a problem as it used to be. The bag levy and lucozade moving to a plastic bottle made a huge difference.

I don't think litter in my area is that much of a problem as it used to be. The bag levy and lucozade moving to a plastic bottle made a huge difference.

It's been replaced with something else though - it seems almost customary to throw disposable coffee cups and McDonald's wrappers out the windows around me.

The McDonald's car park will sometimes have 4 nice neat piles of rubbish when a car pulls off, corresponding to where each of the occupants decided to dump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was talking to a litter warden for Meath n he said its not as bad as it was 3-4 years ago, a lot of eastern European lads wouldnt dream of paying and a lot of them have gone back home now.
    I reckon the government should knock a fiver off the dole n give a coupon for a bag instead. E10 for a bag is too expensive, at a fiver they wouldn't bother. It would solve a lot of black bag dumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

fryup wrote: »
    i don't think we're as litter lout as we once were, civic awareness is more prevalent than a generation ago...thanks partly to the tidy towns and the like

If there are less people littering then those who do litter are picking up the slack because things don't look like they've gotten any better to me over the years.

enricoh wrote: »
    Was talking to a litter warden for Meath n he said its not as bad as it was 3-4 years ago, a lot of eastern European lads wouldnt dream of paying and a lot of them have gone back home now.

Perhaps but it's wrong to blame this on one group - my own experience of Eastern Europeans is that a lot of them can have if anything more of a sense of civic pride than the natives.

We has polish neighbours who looked after their rented house up feo is immaculately - also happy to dig in with the community clean ups. Most of the people I had issue with were irish - so dumping their grass cuttings in planted areas, or all the plastic wrapping from the plants in their own gardens. Contents of bins that blew over in high winds were left where they fell for others to pick up.

Maybe things have gotten better but for this generation it's the prevalence of convenience foods and drinks that have exacerbated the problem. Maybe we need to start looking at what the Swiss do and try minimise the packaging at source - cut it out before it gets to consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Out walking this morning, rural area. Going along a quiet road, about 12 - 15 black bags of rubbish dumped in the ditch. Terrible.
    I can get 5 decent sized bags in the boot of the car and drop them in one of those 'bin a bag' compactor things you see now at a few petrol stations for only €6. Only need to do it once a month or so. Very handy, and beats paying €200 or whatever it is a year to have bins collected weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A bit regional, I know, but can anyone in the Wexford area tell me what is going on between the Maldron & Whitford roundabouts? For some reason people (presumably out walking) are putting discarded plastic bottles over the end twigs of trees. Basically, they are dressing the trees and hedgerows like Christmas Trees. Horrible to look at but it highlights the litter problem

That kind of thing can be pest control - baited bottles are put over the end of twigs to capture insects and prevent infestation. You'd need to check with your council though.

In Dublin city I think part of the problem is the removal of litter bins on the street. This was initially done when the British queen came over, but more and more have been removed since. As far as I can tell people object to paying for their bins so they were dumping their rubbish in local litter bins. To combat this the bins were removed. This means that people have just started to dump bags of rubbish anywhere and the few bins that are left are overflowing.

I don't think you should be able to walk more than 20 metres without passing a bin, but sure then you'd have to employ people to empty them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

Just want to say traveling near my home area this evening and I saw a lady who appeared to be part of a community clean up had 6 or 7 green bags of rubbish collected in 250 meter stretch between Ballymartin Cross and the speed limit going into Castlebridge Village

Well done to you .

Not sure when national clean up week is bit thee are plenty of Blackspots

I will name one

Between Ballycarney Farmleigh on the Enniscorthy Bunclody road , A beautiful drive along the banks of the slaney scarred with litter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

jamesbere wrote: »
    Because they respect the countryside and don't expect someone else to clean up after them.

There's a nice chunk of people who wouldn't think twice about littering, it's shocking how mentally retarded some people can be be.
    It's also amazing that you think "mentally retarded" is an acceptable term to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Maybe it's my lack of peripheral vision or self-awareness but I genuinely don't really notice this Irish litter problem :confused: I've even seen numerous people comment on Clondalkin's "litter problem" (Thank you Neilstown & Bawnogue), yet it's a relatively clean suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

It's also amazing that you think "mentally retarded" is an acceptable term to use.

I'd slander anyone that pig ignorant to blatantly litter in public as "mentally retarded". They have no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Nowhere near as bad as Cambodia,there's litter mountains in that place! And the smell......The smell is like a warm fart that’s just gone through an engine, all hot and diesely. Seriously, think about that for a minute

Advertisement