Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Lout Irish and its worse we are getting

Options
  • 16-03-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Litter Litter every where

The littering problem in the towns and urban areas has improved as local authorities cleaning staff tidy up after us,

But the countryside is something else

The amount of general litter on our country roads is very noticeable at this time of year as the grass has not started to grow yet to cover it up.

Coke tins ,
    coke bottles,
    red bull tins
    7up bottles
    Lucozade Bottles
    Mineral tins of all brands

Water bottles ,
    crisp bags etc,
    cigarette boxes
    Takeaway plastic tea and coffee cups

Fast food litter all the national local and international players are there, plastic bags carrying our confectionery products
    sandwich containers

The list goes on

USE IT
    THROW IT

Thats what we do toss it out the window of the car no respect no care for the countryside no responsibility

Who cares not many it appears
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Apt username.

There was a county councillor on Joe Duffy some time back who defended the decision to remove rubbish bins from a local beach because the bins "attracted" rubbish.

I agree though, Dublin City centre which has lots of bins, gets filthy very quickly with all kinds of junk. Does it really feel ok to people to just drop their can, or bigmac container on the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not sure about the rest of the country, but I've seen a lot of those tiny big replaced by the Big Belly Solar ones.
    so at least if they're not filling up before council workers get back around to empty them that's half the battle.
    still won't stop the skangers on the beaches over the summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Litters bad alright, but the utter fcuktards that scatter their black bags of rubbish down country roads rot my hole. You really couldn't find anywhere else to put it?? Slobshytes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What's even worse is when the hedges on the roadside have been cut back the amount of rubbish is shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

This seems to be a young problem. When I was younger I threw my papers on the ground and got a clip across the ear for it. Did'nt do it again and still don't.

But that does not appear to have happened to the under 25's. We live opposite a shop and despite plenty of bins, nobody under 25 uses anything but the ground. It is someone else's job to pick up after them. Kids, teenagers and young adults are all the same. Hell, even the kids with their parents do it.

The stupid ads in the cinemas with the silouette throwing rubbish in the bin does not work. Nobody fears a fine as that will not happen. What to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Totally agree. Drove for over an hour yesterday and the amount of litter on the road side was shocking. Bins are being removed in public areas because people are dumping their weekly rubbish in them leaving them overflowing. Have driven through Germany/Austria and couldn't get over how clean the countryside was in both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I live on a country road. There is one family a few fields up who have no shame. It's unreal the amount of litter they throw from their car. It's loads of the same stuff, 7Up bottles, Supermacs packaging and crisp packets. Loads of them. There was a community clean up a week or so ago. The bags of rubbish were collected from right outside their house. I was at work when that clean up took place but I really feel that next time we ought to empty the bags into their garden. It's shocking that a few generations of one family will not learn the idea of bringing your rubbish home. Instead they empty it, from their car, right outside their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Ghekko wrote: »
    Totally agree. Drove for over an hour yesterday and the amount of litter on the road side was shocking. Bins are being removed in public areas because people are dumping their weekly rubbish in them leaving them overflowing. Have driven through Germany/Austria and couldn't get over how clean the countryside was in both countries.

Because they respect the countryside and don't expect someone else to clean up after them.

There's a nice chunk of people who wouldn't think twice about littering, it's shocking how mentally retarded some people can be be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Was only thinking about this when I was out cycling in North County Dublin on Saturday. Every few hundred meters there was bags of rubbish by the side of the road. It's always been a problem but has got much worse in the last couple of years.
    Bin charges increasing hasn't helped. In Fingal for example, it used be €3:50 for a bin tag. Now its €9:50 & yearly standing charge of €110.

In urban areas it's definitely a youth problem. On my road in Swords there are kids & teenagers always throwing their rubbish on their way to & from an all weather football pitch. A few weeks ago I saw a kid who was no older than 11 leave a large glass bottle on the road.
    So I ran after him & said "you left this on the road" . He replied "SO"
    It was only when I threatened to call the litter warden he took the bottle back but he probably just dumped elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Litters bad alright, but the utter fcuktards that scatter their black bags of rubbish down country roads rot my hole. You really couldn't find anywhere else to put it?? Slobshytes.

Who are these people though? what kind of people are they?
    I see it around and I used to get annoyed, now, just give up on thinking about it.
    I saw a guy tip an ashtray of butts out his car window onto the ground, then followed it with a nappy!
    There are means of disposing of rubbish that dont involve liitering that dont cost an arm and a leg, I only put my grey bin out every 6-8 weeks, the green one every fortnight and the brown one once or twice a year, for me thats about 125-150 a year including the now admin fee, I used to spend that on a night out before or two easily. These people obviously cant get there head around sorting the rubbish as you are throwing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I live on a country road. There is one family a few fields up who have no shame. It's unreal the amount of litter they throw from their car. It's loads of the same stuff, 7Up bottles, Supermacs packaging and crisp packets. Loads of them. There was a community clean up a week or so ago. The bags of rubbish were collected from right outside their house. I was at work when that clean up took place but I really feel that next time we ought to empty the bags into their garden. It's shocking that a few generations of one family will not learn the idea of bringing your rubbish home. Instead they empty it, from their car, right outside their own home.

Yeah, and then someone else cleaned it up, for free. No lesson there. No fine, do consequences. Why would they bother cleaning up? The reason most european countries are cleaner is that you'd get your hole fined off you for doing that^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

PWEI wrote: »
    Was only thinking about this when I was out cycling in North County Dublin on Saturday. Every few hundred meters there was bags of rubbish by the side of the road. It's always been a problem but has got much worse in the last couple of years.
    Bin charges increasing hasn't helped. In Fingal for example, it used be €3:50 for a bin tag. Now its €9:50 & yearly standing charge of €110.

In urban areas it's definitely a youth problem. On my road in Swords there are kids & teenagers always throwing their rubbish on their way to & from an all weather football pitch. A few weeks ago I saw a kid who was no older than 11 leave a large glass bottle on the road.
    So I ran after him & said "you left this on the road" . He replied "SO"
    It was only when I threatened to call the litter warden he took the bottle back but he probably just dumped elsewhere.

A wheelie bin lift can cost from €30-40 in Germany and you dont see the Bavarian countryside covered with waste. Germans have respected for the countryside, where as Irish dont. Bin collections were free and people were still dumping on the side of the road.

How is it a youth problem.The only people I see throwing rubbish out their windows are adults eg cigarette butts, bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Slobs wrote: »
    Litter Litter every where

The littering problem in the towns and urban areas has improved as local authorities cleaning staff tidy up after us,

But the countryside is something else.

The amount of general litter on our country roads is very noticeable at this time of year as the grass has not started to grow yet to cover it up...

The list goes on

USE IT
    THROW IT

Thats what we do toss it out the window of the car no respect no care for the countryside no responsibility

Who cares not many it appears
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

Except it is not just the country-side. Have a read of this & this
    A claim that littering was leading to rodent infestation was made by Killarney-based Independent councillor Donal Grady, who said rats were “dancing polka sets” around the garbage.

At least this issue is being tackled by our Council Members,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I live in Dublin and wouldn't agree that things are better in the city.

Regarding rural Ireland, I was on a cycle tour in the West last Summer and couldn't help noticing out miles from the nearest town the number of those plastic tops for takeaway hot drinks. Obviously it's normal to grab a coffee/tea in the local Centra/Spar, head off in the car/van and when it's finished out the window with the container.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's disgusting. What type of selfish thick would drive to an area of natural beauty and throw bags of rubbish into a ditch on the side of the road? It has to be bad breeding and utter contempt for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Walked about a mile on a country road today ad it's just shocking the ammount of paper cups, lids and drinks bottles in the verges. Truly shocking.

It's so ironic that we rely on portraying Ireland as a clean green country when irish people have such little regard for littering.

Part of my job involves maintenance of public recreation areas and it is just shameful how they are treated. Last summer we had glass bottles broken into the lake shore in one location at a point where children paddle in the water, This was intentionally done at this one location with the aparrent intent to injure a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Desolation of Smag- I kind of agree with you, well more than kind of. Cleaning up for them is no lesson learned but for other people living here, it's just awful to see the rubbish every day. But I really think that I am going to start collecting bits on my walks and just put it back over their wall. It's curtain twitcher land here, my family are blow ins from 'the city' so we don't have much standing but I 'd love to see the local big wigs call to their door in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

hfallada wrote: »
    A wheelie bin lift can cost from €30-40 in Germany and you dont see the Bavarian countryside covered with waste. Germans have respected for the countryside, where as Irish dont. Bin collections were free and people were still dumping on the side of the road.

How is it a youth problem.The only people I see throwing rubbish out their windows are adults eg cigarette butts, bottles

Totally agree with you, I lived in Bavaria & you just don't see their countryside covered in litter. I'm not condoning the behavior of people because of the increase in bid charges. I'm just saying it's got worse since the bin charges have gone up. Still no excuse for people to do it & I don't understand the mentality of the scumbags who do.

The single bits of litter around urban areas, bottles, cans, chip bags tends to be more young people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

My own pet hate is those cable ties that accumulate on lamp posts etc. I have spent hours walking around my area cutting them down.

Most are remainders/reminders of political campaigns long past.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

Councils should employ an army of commission only litter wardens. If you thought there was a chance you'd actually get fined you'd never litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Councils should employ an army of commission only litter wardens. If you thought there was a chance you'd actually get fined you'd never litter.

Good idea, but how would you fund it? A better solution would be to have a refundable deposit on bottles and cans. Or how about single-use wrappers for foodstuffs (sweet and crisp wrappers) that are biodegradable? Imagine actually being encouraged to litter for the environment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not just Irish, found black bags dumped once on our place filled with a whole load of Polish food wrappers and jars, cigarette butts and empty Marlboro packs. They were too cute to put things with names and addresses in it unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Zero civic responsibility and pride in our country. Zero fear of being caught and fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Zero civic responsibility and pride in our country. Zero fear of being caught and fined.

Bang on. It teaches young people street skills. Lidl bins (normally in the carpark) are best for zero security. Dump dirty waste (and bag it, i have no sympathy for unbagged rubbish) near your local recycling spot.
    Newspapers get returned to the bin of the shop where you bought them.
    Junk mail is returned to the street. You dump your rubbish in my letterbox. I return it to the street and let some busybody report you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We're definitely one of the mankiest countries in Europe by a mile - it's embarassing. Go on a cycle along roads (you don't twnd to notice these things as much when driving) and the shear amount of rubbish on the sides of the roads is mind boggling.

Our local spar got rid of 4 bond outside it - in fairness no difference as it was a sh!t hole before and a sh!t hole after - the trail of rubbish from the shop was hilarious.

Poster earlier compares us with Austria and Germany - two countries I visited and lived in the latter. We've an awful sense of so social immaturity that's only obvious when you visit these countries - by no means perfect but streets ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    We're definitely one of the mankiest countries in Europe by a mile - it's embarassing. Go on a cycle along roads (you don't twnd to notice these things as much when driving) and the shear amount of rubbish on the sides of the roads is mind boggling.

Our local spar got rid of 4 bond outside it - in fairness no difference as it was a sh!t hole before and a sh!t hole after - the trail of rubbish from the shop was hilarious.

Poster earlier compares us with Austria and Germany - two countries I visited and lived in the latter. We've an awful sense of so social immaturity that's only obvious when you visit these countries - by no means perfect but streets ahead of us.

Then stop cycling. Bunch of junkies pissing in bottles and littering the countryside with it as heroes. You lot should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I've seen people dump bottles& cans at the recycling banks and I know some of them can be full if so bring them to another one or bring them back home, I've walked country lanes and seen black bags,also washing machines, televisions, etc,etc, what I don't get is that people had to drive in a car to dump these , where I live it only cost E2 to go to the recycling centre,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Then stop cycling. Bunch of junkies pissing in bottles and littering the countryside with it as heroes. You lot should be ashamed.

Yeah whatever

Advertisement