Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a firearm from UK

Options
  • 16-03-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Could someone please advise the best way to purchase a second hand restricted firearm from the UK (Lever Action Centrefire rifle).

Would it be easier to have the UK dealer ship it to a dealer in Northern Ireland and then import it from there?

Or could an Irish firearm dealer assist? or does that require the UK firearm dealer to have an export licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What do you mean when you say "best"? Cheapest? Fastest? Easiest?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭targetx

Sparks wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say "best"? Cheapest? Fastest? Easiest?

I suppose im looking for the lowest cost option. Length of time not an issue and i dont mind if theres a bit of paperwork involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

importing from Northern Ireland is nly easier because you can drive up and collect, but it still means shipping to NI first. The same paperwork is invilved regardless of where you buy it from. In short there are two methods:

• Get the RFD in the UK to ship it to an RFD in Ireland.They sort out paperwork between them.
    • You pay shipping costs.
    • If the gun arrives before you get the license then it's there when the license does arrive. If it doesn't (highly unlikely) you wait.
    • When you get your license you go to your local dealer and collect.

• Pay for or place a deposit on the gun
    • Apply for the license for the gun
    • Get the license
    • Have the RFD in the Uk send you his RFD license.
    • Apply for the import permit
    • Have the UK RFD get the export permit
    • Send the import permit, your license (copy) and possibly a European firearms pass (cannot remember if this is necessary) to the UK RFD
    • Once he has these he ships the gun with the export, import and license papaerowrk all attached to the gun/packaging.
    • The gun can be shipped directly to you regardless of what you are told about having to use an RFD.

Method one is the easiest in terms of peperwork, grief (or lack of), etc. Only issue would be finding an RFD here to do this for you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

I did this for my 10/22 that I bought from a private seller in the UK.
    • He took the firearm to a dealer. I sent payment to seller through the dealer.
    • Dealer sent firearm to dealer in north that my dealer in south uses.
    • Dealers sorted the export and import details out between them.
    • Northern dealer sent firearm to dealer in south.
    • I collected my 10/22 in about 3/4 weeks

In the meantime I had the license got. Cost about €90 all in, £50 for UK > North shipping, €20 North > South shipping, €20 fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭targetx

Thanks Clive, that was pretty much what I had in mind, I will talk to you about this further off-line...

• Advertisement
Advertisement