Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clongriffin - Parkedge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

<quote snipped>

Can also walk from bayside although it's a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This was mentioned in the meeting as well. The issue is that Clongriffin is a commuter town at the moment. You are correct in that there are plenty of people in the area but not during office hours.

It's simply not viable to open shops as the area becomes quiet during office hours.

This may change though as empty units in the shopping centre are to be re-purposed into office units.

True that, I can understand how -just shooting randomly- a clothes shop wouldn't be in a great position at all; But things like a bank, a supermarket (even just a Tesco Express, although I can see the Centra not being too thrilled about it!) and a gym wouldn't be out of place, to be honest. If they had ever opened the SuperValu beside the station, more or less everybody coming back on the train would have stopped there for their groceries.

And yes, when I moved to Clongriffin the DART station was in absolutely top shape, the vandalisation started end of 2015/start of 2016 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 billcall55

Hi,

Can I ask why the social housing plans for Belmayne were of such concern to residents of Belltree or Clongriffin? I don't mean the broader issue of the problems that social housing concentration can bring, but why social housing in Belmayne would be that relevant to Belltree or Clongriffin; it's quite a distance away, no? Across the park and a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pelicannon

billcall55 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I ask why the social housing plans for Belmayne were of such concern to residents of Belltree or Clongriffin? I don't mean the broader issue of the problems that social housing concentration can bring, but why social housing in Belmayne would be that relevant to Belltree or Clongriffin; it's quite a distance away, no? Across the park and a road?

It's the same district served by the same garde station, infrastructure, schools and other amenities. I can certainly understand why they would be concerned. Two of the areas most used facilities - The Park and Dart station are located there.

Social housing IS needed. The proposed solution is not beneficial for the community, the people in (or not in) the social housing or the resources that are already stretched (re crime stats quoted by Gardai in the night).

The proposed solution would introduce a silo'd, isolated community (possibly physically but certainly culturally and socially) - history in almost any city in the world shows that this simply doesn't work. A good solution would somehow incorporate inclusion, integration and / or an incentive to be part of the wider community.

Suggestions like this a a clear illustration of the calibre, experience and ability of DCC and their planning (or associated departments) ability to do a good job. They don't care.

It is difficult to see how this would have a positive effect on the area. Or even an indifferent / neutral one.

Hi,

Yes, I agree that it is poor urban planning to concentrate social housing in one area. I was mainly wondering how direct the effect that the Belmayne prosposals would have on Belltree. For example, there are many parts of Dublin that have large concentrations of social housing very close to parts that are owner-occupied. Consider Raheny/Killbarrack.

It's certainly an important issue for residents and future residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭uli84

Thanks for the feedback regarding the social housing and train station vandalism from 2016 on (what happened then?), sad to say i'm not going to consider the area anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

I used to live in Clongriffin and sometimes follow these threads to see how the new development is progressing (great to see the place being finished). Just to throw this out there re. the social housing thing that precipitated the large turnout at the Safer Clongriffin/Belmayne forum. Is it widely know I wonder (and was it raised by way of example at the meeting) that already there are 130 social units under management in Clongriffin by a voluntary housing body (the Iveagh Trust). These are in two locations of 75 and 55 respectively. They were there when I lived there and were not very well know about because at that time there was no trouble at all from those blocks. Barely anyone knew they existed and I suspect that it still the case for the most part.

I know that in the past the social housing policy in the country has been a mess with large social estates and poor vetting of tenants (this really is the key - if just 5% of an estate are scumbags the whole place is dragged down). But these voluntary housing bodies seem to be doing a better job and I think the proof is in the pudding in Clongriffin - unless there has been trouble from these units since I left a few years ago? I often found the most trouble (parties, noise etc.) came from some privately rented units.

The voluntary housing bodies seem to like to keep their blocks self-contained for management purposes. The social blocks, for example, are separately managed and maintained. In fact, when I lived in Clongriffin there was such a problem with people in private units not paying their management fees (the situation is now much better I believe) that the social blocks were probably better maintained. Therefore I suspect the idea of peppering the units throughout the estate would not be preferable to whoever is managing the units. The Part 5 legislation looks for a % of a development to be social & affordable. It's the same in all new estates and after a recent order by Alan Kelly, developers can no longer buy their way out of it. But it does not dictate that the units be spread across the estate. I would have been of the opinion years ago that this peppering approach was the best option, but after seeing how the Iveagh Trust managed the Clongriffin units I changed my mind.

Anyway, it's just something worth thinking about. Consider the evidence already there in the area and see that it may not be the problem it once was. Details here: http://www.theiveaghtrust.ie/?page_id=13

Also, sad to see people on here dismissing the area over the recent train station vandalism. The social housing thing will be an issue in all new estates due to the part V legislation so if that turns people off, then all new estates are off the table to them. I can't believe Gannon aren't pushing a solution to this train station issue with Irish Rail and the Gardai. One hard crack down would solve this - broken window theory and all. There is a major problem in Dublin with youth vandalism. Years back the wooden playground in St. Anne's Park was set on fire and that would be considered a very desirable area. All across the city petty vandalism is frustrating communities. It really needs a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gaia_scienza

skD13 wrote: »
    I used to live in Clongriffin and sometimes follow these threads to see how the new development is progressing (great to see the place being finished). Just to throw this out there re. the social housing thing that precipitated the large turnout at the Safer Clongriffin/Belmayne forum. Is it widely know I wonder (and was it raised by way of example at the meeting) that already there are 130 social units under management in Clongriffin by a voluntary housing body (the Iveagh Trust). These are in two locations of 75 and 55 respectively. They were there when I lived there and were not very well know about because at that time there was no trouble at all from those blocks. Barely anyone knew they existed and I suspect that it still the case for the most part.

I know that in the past the social housing policy in the country has been a mess with large social estates and poor vetting of tenants (this really is the key - if just 5% of an estate are scumbags the whole place is dragged down). But these voluntary housing bodies seem to be doing a better job and I think the proof is in the pudding in Clongriffin - unless there has been trouble from these units since I left a few years ago? I often found the most trouble (parties, noise etc.) came from some privately rented units.

The voluntary housing bodies seem to like to keep their blocks self-contained for management purposes. The social blocks, for example, are separately managed and maintained. In fact, when I lived in Clongriffin there was such a problem with people in private units not paying their management fees (the situation is now much better I believe) that the social blocks were probably better maintained. Therefore I suspect the idea of peppering the units throughout the estate would not be preferable to whoever is managing the units. The Part 5 legislation looks for a % of a development to be social & affordable. It's the same in all new estates and after a recent order by Alan Kelly, developers can no longer buy their way out of it. But it does not dictate that the units be spread across the estate. I would have been of the opinion years ago that this peppering approach was the best option, but after seeing how the Iveagh Trust managed the Clongriffin units I changed my mind.

Anyway, it's just something worth thinking about. Consider the evidence already there in the area and see that it may not be the problem it once was. Details here: http://www.theiveaghtrust.ie/?page_id=13

Also, sad to see people on here dismissing the area over the recent train station vandalism. The social housing thing will be an issue in all new estates due to the part V legislation so if that turns people off, then all new estates are off the table to them. I can't believe Gannon aren't pushing a solution to this train station issue with Irish Rail and the Gardai. One hard crack down would solve this - broken window theory and all. There is a major problem in Dublin with youth vandalism. Years back the wooden playground in St. Anne's Park was set on fire and that would be considered a very desirable area. All across the city petty vandalism is frustrating communities. It really needs a solution.
    Yes, to your point during the meeting they did mention that the new social housing unit would be entirely managed by a company, including maintenance and security. A portion of this housing will be to host senior citizens in need of social housing and who are currently in hotels. 
    To other other topic, I am a female living in the area and never had trouble on the dart, even after 10 pm. I also agree that youth vandalism is a general problem in Dublin and youths most likely travel from other stations.   
    Living on the Parkedge/Belltree side, we are mostly young families. When we bump into each other on the street we would say hello even if we haven't met before, which I cannot say of any other place I lived in Dublin. I know that it feels very negative on this trail, but I am happy living here and I have not had any bother to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

At the train station currently. The broken shutter is fixed, but the other is now shut completely with work currently being carried out by Fingal Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 freakyfraggle

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2275/17&SearchID=2

Planning reference 2275/17

Is this the right planning permission?
    If so, it says 'The Observation period for this application has expired'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2275/17&SearchID=2

Planning reference 2275/17

Is this the right planning permission?
    If so, it says 'The Observation period for this application has expired'.

The planning application hasn't gone in yet AFAIK. The area is to the left of the park between churchfield and the malahide road.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Does anyone know something about this plan (550 residential units on the other side of the train tracks)?
    http://planning.mapalerter.com/v78

I suggest that you click the "View full text" and "View map" links for more details.

I'm wondering how would this contribute to the situation in Belltree/Parkside. (trains full in the mornings, etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

The station is the 3rd stop on the malahide to city dart line, no matter how many new estates are built in the fields surrounding the station (and I think there will be quite a few) the dart trains will not be very full upon reaching Clongriffin. They may fill a bit at Clongriffin but not to the extent that there will be no space for others to get on at the other 6 stations before Connolly.
    With luck future infrastructural improvements will also allow for an increase in the frequency of malahide-city darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

xboxdad wrote: »
    Does anyone know something about this plan (550 residential units on the other side of the train tracks)?
    http://planning.mapalerter.com/v78

I suggest that you click the "View full text" and "View map" links for more details.

I'm wondering how would this contribute to the situation in Belltree/Parkside. (trains full in the mornings, etc...)

If you want more general details of what is likely to be built in the area at both the Clongriffin/Belmayne side (DCC) and the Baldoyle/Stapolin (Fingal) you should have a look at the respective LAPs for the area.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/clongriffin-%E2%80%93-belmayne-north-fringe
    http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/adopted-local-area-plans/baldoyle-stapolin-local-area-plan/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ohlordy wrote: »
    The station is the 3rd stop on the malahide to city dart line, no matter how many new estates are built in the fields surrounding the station (and I think there will be quite a few) the dart trains will not be very full upon reaching Clongriffin. They may fill a bit at Clongriffin but not to the extent that there will be no space for others to get on at the other 6 stations before Connolly.
    With luck future infrastructural improvements will also allow for an increase in the frequency of malahide-city darts.

This is very true, when I was living with my parents I used to get the dart at killester and half the time at peak times it was very difficult to even get in the door. Not uncommon for people to just waite for the next one. And this was years ago, so yes its stations further into the city that feel this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cogotazo

Current phase sold out, according to daft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

17 houses lodged for completion today.
    Should be available to move in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Metts08

kceire wrote: »

Hi kceire, new to the thread here and I'm just wondering where you got that info from? I was in contact with site manager today who says houses will be ready for snagging mid-August

Metts08 wrote: »
    Hi kceire, new to the thread here and I'm just wondering where you got that info from? I was in contact with site manager today who says houses will be ready for snagging mid-August

Depends what phase you were talking to him about.
    These 17 are the final houses in Phase 5 in the northern block that runs into mars field avenue, Park Avenue and Belltree walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Belltree

kceire wrote: »

Hi Kceire, what do you mean lodged - is this with Dublin City Council and do you know if there is a way of checking it's status on the DCC website?

Thanks

Belltree wrote: »
    Hi Kceire, what do you mean lodged - is this with Dublin City Council and do you know if there is a way of checking it's status on the DCC website?

Thanks

The contractor lodged Certificates to state that they have completed the houses in accordance with the Building Regulations.

DCC may inspect some of the dwellings to determine if they are in substantial compliance.

DCC then place the Completion Certs on the Statutory Register and the developer is legally allowed to sell the property in question.

No way of checking them online for the public, but its worth bearing that DCC usually approves the certs within a week or once inspected and then its over to the developer to sort out transfer/snags/land registry so still a bit of time before they actually hand over to the buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Someone I know has a deposit down on one of these.

Their wondering is it possible to put flooring in the attic for just storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Are there any plans to replace the STOP signs with roundabouts or lights in the R123/R124 and R123/Balgriffin Park junctions?
    It could cut the driving time down significantly in peak times between Malahide and Parkside/Belltree/etc... and it'd make it safer to drive there as well.

Thank you.

Hi,

For those already in their house, or about to move in, how long did it take from signing contracts to the house being ready to move in. I have bought in Phase 3, but my solicitor tells me that the contracts are saying that the house may not be ready for 18 months. I had been told that it would be 12 months. 1.5 years is a long time to wait...

Thanks

For anyone that's moved into the Belltree development, can you tell me how the solar system is working for you guys?

Does it give you 100% of your hot water?
    Pros and cons ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarah.ck

billcall55 wrote: »
    Hi,

For those already in their house, or about to move in, how long did it take from signing contracts to the house being ready to move in. I have bought in Phase 3, but my solicitor tells me that the contracts are saying that the house may not be ready for 18 months. I had been told that it would be 12 months. 1.5 years is a long time to wait...

Thanks

Ours took about a year, maybe a little over from when we paid the booking deposit. It was about 6 months from signing contracts but we had a few bumps in the road and signed contracts a few months later than is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 freakyfraggle

Hi kceire,

We moved in last July and didn't need to use gas to heat water until October (2-person household).
    We are currently still topping up the water temperature with the gas, but I expect we can revert to solar only soon as the days get longer and sunnier.
    Delighted with the system so far!

Hi kceire,

We moved in last July and didn't need to use gas to heat water until October (2-person household).
    We are currently still topping up the water temperature with the gas, but I expect we can revert to solar only soon as the days get longer and sunnier.
    Delighted with the system so far!

Thanks for that.
    I'm considering installing the same system in my own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DBSdude

hi all,

just off the phone to SherryFitz, they said that building is underway for phase 3 Belltree, registration opens in Autumn 2017, and houses ready in Spring 2018.

Does anyone already live up there, and offer any feedback please?

Advertisement