Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clongriffin - Parkedge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rahzor

My partner and I are interested in buying an A1/A2 Home in Belltree and I've been following this thread over the past few months.

We've been out to the area a few times to get to know it, but still have yet to go out when it's dark. We really are impressed with the development and Fr. Collins Park and are warmed by the fact that there is a community working hard to better Clongriffin.

We visited the Dart station over the weekend to see what the fuss was about and were pretty taken back at the state of the vandalism in the station. If we were to move, this would be my main mode of transport. I've three queries I would love to be answered:

1) How safe do any females feel getting the DART especially in Winter months in the dark? Does anyone who works late feel unsafe getting out at the Dart station at ~8-9pm?

2) I've noted comments RE Dart at capacity during Peak Hours. Currently I get on at Clontarf and have only had to let a Dart leave a few times where I couldn't get on. Is it a regular occurrence that there is no room to board or is there always some space (standing does not bother me).

3) I keep reading about the lack of frequency of the Dart in the mornings. My understanding was that some commuter trains stop there and the Malahide Dart- can anyone confirm this or the times? And also, are there any plans to increase the no. of commuter trains stopping? (I know the Dart drivers rejected plans for more Dart trains)

To be honest, we've become disheartened since we saw the DART station, amongst other things and are having second thoughts about buying in the area.

We've become aware of unsavory residents in the locality and concerns regarding drug dealers in the vicinity. I am curious to know how others who bought in Belltree/ Parkedge overcame these concerns and how they feel now that they're living there, ie. do they still have these concerns.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mattwm

rahzor wrote: »
    My partner and I are interested in buying an A1/A2 Home in Belltree and I've been following this thread over the past few months.

We've been out to the area a few times to get to know it, but still have yet to go out when it's dark. We really are impressed with the development and Fr. Collins Park and are warmed by the fact that there is a community working hard to better Clongriffin.

We visited the Dart station over the weekend to see what the fuss was about and were pretty taken back at the state of the vandalism in the station. If we were to move, this would be my main mode of transport. I've three queries I would love to be answered:

1) How safe do any females feel getting the DART especially in Winter months in the dark? Does anyone who works late feel unsafe getting out at the Dart station at ~8-9pm?

2) I've noted comments RE Dart at capacity during Peak Hours. Currently I get on at Clontarf and have only had to let a Dart leave a few times where I couldn't get on. Is it a regular occurrence that there is no room to board or is there always some space (standing does not bother me).

3) I keep reading about the lack of frequency of the Dart in the mornings. My understanding was that some commuter trains stop there and the Malahide Dart- can anyone confirm this or the times? And also, are there any plans to increase the no. of commuter trains stopping? (I know the Dart drivers rejected plans for more Dart trains)

To be honest, we've become disheartened since we saw the DART station, amongst other things and are having second thoughts about buying in the area.

We've become aware of unsavory residents in the locality and concerns regarding drug dealers in the vicinity. I am curious to know how others who bought in Belltree/ Parkedge overcame these concerns and how they feel now that they're living there, ie. do they still have these concerns.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Rahzor,

Regarding your first comment I can not say as I am not female, however I do travel on the Dart 2-3 times a week at this time and have yet to see any trouble on them, and 9 out of ten times there is security on them.

Point 2: I currently get on at howth junction and get a set every morning without fail, i get the dart at 7:15am.

Point 3: There is a dart every 15 - 20 minutes as far as I know so that is frequent enough for me.

Regarding unsavoury residents, you will get these no matter were you go, I haven't heard of any trouble up that way lately regarding drug dealers etc, I wouldn't let these things put you off, I believe there is a lot worse places out there, and can't wait to move into our house in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Thanks in advance!

I saw some shattered glass in the station recently, that was it. Was there more vandalism?

I'm moving in to the area too and took the train one evening to test out my new commute. It was on the commuter train. I was very impressed with how quickly I got back out there. It was very busy too (during peak time).

I would not have any concern for personal safety during peak time hours. I am sure later there's always a few people getting off at the same time and walking your way.

The area seems very safe to me. I have lived in many parts of Dublin and would not get a bad "vibe" for around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Thanks in advance!

1) I'm not a woman, but I work "late" (it's "normal" to me :D) every single day, anywhere between 8pm and 11pm is the time I step off the DART. It's never solitary or isolated, there are always plenty of people coming back at that time; There's often security on the train and/or in the station, although it's not always the case. The general area is essentially never "deserted", thanks in no small part to the restaurant and takeaway on the main street - even in the middle of a dreary, dark and damp winter night there'll be people walking in and out of them; On more "approachable" nights, I often even see people (both men and women, often alone) jogging around. Lastly, Gannon has a security patrol going around every night, you can't really miss them - black marked "SECURITY" car with emergency lamps and CCTV.

2) Clongriffin is only the second stop after the DART departs Malahide; I've never seen a train coming in at capacity. Now, I normally move at off-peak hours, but the few times I had to take the train at absolutely insane "everyone going now" times (e.g. 8.16), it still arrived in Clongriffin with plenty of seats available. Might be a different situation with the Commuter trains from Drogheda, but I never stepped on one in the morning;

3) Frequency can be a bit all over the place; It's ok if you plan properly. For most of the day, there is a 30 minute window between DARTS; Sometimes it is filled by a Commuter train, sometimes it isn't; Between 7.30 and 8.30 AM there is a train every 10/15 minutes towards Connolly, with all the Commuters stopping in Clongriffin as well as the DARTs. In the evening, for some weird reason the last Commuter train stopping in Clongriffin is the one leaving Pearse at 18.16; The subsequent ones don't stop - the DART however keeps its 30-minutes schedule.
    As for punctuality, the trains run generally on-time in the mornings; it's a bit more random coming back in the evening, as "operational issues" and "signal faults" seem to predominantly happen south of Grand Canal Docks, for some reason or the other; One pretty unnerving thing was when DART trains used to leave early: e.g. the 9.07 train pulled out of the station at 9.05; It led to a couple of interesting "events" with plenty of people left behind screaming abuse at the driver :D. It looks like they "copped on", it hasn't happened since the beginning of 2017 - even if the train is in the station early, they wait for the platform clock to advance to the correct time before leaving.

As for the acts of vandalism regarding the station, I'm not entirely sure what's going on; In the past I said that while I often see kids skating and generally "hanging around" in the station I wouldn't think they'd be the ones trashing the place, but I'm thinking I was mistaken - there aren't really any other people loitering around the area; I also believe those teenagers to have a non-local component, you often see different faces periodically and at times I've heard groups of them speaking Italian and Spanish, which would point out to at least some of them being here for those "study holidays" and staying with local families. You know how psychology works - take one young guy or girl separately, and they're fine; Put them in a group with another 10 of them, away from their parents for the first time, in a foreign city with a return ticket in the pocket and the chances of never going there again for years, and hell might break loose. To be honest however, most of them do look and sound like normal teens from normal families, doing "teenagey" stuff. So the jury's out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Thanks in advance!

My wife would sometimes get a Dart when it would be dark and she hasn't mentioned about feeling unsafe. The Dart station and all the paths going to Belltree are well lit and along the main road there is usually people about either walking or driving...same for the bus stops.

The broken glass in the station is a recent thing- there was some cracked glass when we first moved in but has only been shattered and boarded up recently. There is always enough people getting on/off the Darts that I haven't felt like there were any safety issues. Gannon still have a security van doing the rounds as well- this may stop at some point but I would presume after they finish completely building in the area. Can't say I have noticed any unsavory residents or drug dealers at all and compared to where I have been in Inchicore/Ballyfermot I would feel safer in Belltree.

For the Darts themselves- in the morning from 7:47 to 8:32 there are three Darts going towards town and one regional train at 7:59 that goes to Howth Junction then skips the rest to Connolly and beyond. Definitely standing on the regional train but can sometimes get a seat on the Darts. Before and after that period they are at least every 30 mins so need to plan time wise...sometimes it would faster getting the bus to/from town than waiting on the next Dart and with the terminus at the Dart station it is very handy to have the choice.

On the way out of town, there are some regional trains for Drogheda and Dundalk that originate in Pearse...but not all stop at Clongriffin. There is one at 5:28 that will only go to Tara and then Clongriffin so very quick (but that one starts before Pearse so not always guaranteed a seat). As for an increase of what is going to stop there, I haven't heard of any changes beyond what you referenced with the Dart drivers rejecting smaller more frequent trains. Even if they do this, it would be fun with essentially one line going each way- trains already have to slow down or stop often enough as they are held up by other trains on the line and more frequent trains would probably cause more delays.

The one thing I would check is that you are happy enough with the airplane traffic- my wife grew up in the area so doesn't notice but the frequency is still bugging me a bit. One of the colleagues in work was thinking of moving out there but changed his mind after spending a couple of hours in the park. You can't hear it so much in the house but more noticeable in the kitchen and back bedroom (in a north facing garden).

I have to say though that I love the house- definitely the best I have lived in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mralexx

Hi all,

We just visited BellTree (and Parkside) with my family last weekend and we were impressed. Loved the park, the curvy streets of BellTree, the neat new areas. It felt really friendly.
    Yesterday I discovered (in this tread) that a mosque was originally planned where the nursing home is about to be built.

<mod snip: no place for religious generalisations here>

What are your thoughts / feelings about this?
    If you're concerned, what guarantee do you see that this plan won't come back in the area or in close proximity?

Thank you.

I wouldn't be concerned about it at all to be honest, all vacant land seems to be gone for houses around Beltree

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

The mosque and islamic cultural centre are not being built, it'll be houses and houses and apartments and that's it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

<mod snip>

So it's up to the house buyer to check the area before committing to 20 year mortgage.

Anyway, I didnt mean it in a smart kind of way, text sometimes doesn't come across right online, what I'm trying to say that it's none of our business why they picked that site etc as it's private development, they are entitled to apply wherever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Mralexx welcome to boards. Generalisations about religions, ethnicities, society groups etc are not welcome on this forum so I've had to delete/edit some posts. Please don't bring this subject up again here. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 rahzor

Thank you for all the feedback, RE the Dart and the area! It's really put my mind at ease!

Has anyone heard when Gannon might release the next phase? I know one was released only a few weeks ago, but as of last Sunday there was just one mid-terraced A type left. I've reached out to Gannon and Sherry Fitz but no response, just thought someone might have the knowledge on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarah.ck

Thank you for all the feedback, RE the Dart and the area! It's really put my mind at ease!

Has anyone heard when Gannon might release the next phase? I know one was released only a few weeks ago, but as of last Sunday there was just one mid-terraced A type left. I've reached out to Gannon and Sherry Fitz but no response, just thought someone might have the knowledge on this forum.

Hey, you need to find out from Sherry Fitzgerald. If you specifically want end of terrace and have an idea of what you want get the layout of the next phase and price list from Sherry Fitz. You can register your interest for the one you want off the plans before they are officially released. Some are probably booked already so keep calling until you get to talk to someone.

I think you can still do that, that's what we did and we're very happy with what we picked. Avoids queuing and disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pattyfr

Hey guys,
    Has anyone who 'bought' a house on the last phase (3 weeks ago) been contacted by Sherry Fitzgerald solicitor?

Pattyfr wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Has anyone who 'bought' a house on the last phase (3 weeks ago) been contacted by Sherry Fitzgerald solicitor?

Hey, I'm assuming from your post that you haven't paid the booking deposit yet?

You should be contacted directly by Sherry Fitzgerald looking for your Solicitors details and to provide bank details for payment.

If you have paid the booking deposit then contact them with your Solicitors details as well. Their Solicitor will never contact you direct. They will only correspond with your Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pattyfr

sarah.ck wrote: »
    Hey, I'm assuming from your post that you haven't paid the booking deposit yet?

You should be contacted directly by Sherry Fitzgerald looking for your Solicitors details and to provide bank details for payment.

If you have paid the booking deposit then contact them with your Solicitors details as well. Their Solicitor will never contact you direct. They will only correspond with your Solicitor.

Hi Sarah,

I paid the booking deposit and gave them my solicitor details on March 5th, but I contacted my solicitor this week and nobody has contacted him yet. I actually don't know how long it takes normally.
    Thanks

Pattyfr wrote: »
    Hi Sarah,

I paid the booking deposit and gave them my solicitor details on March 5th, but I contacted my solicitor this week and nobody has contacted him yet. I actually don't know how long it takes normally.
    Thanks

I think it took about a month for us so you should be hearing from your Solicitor soon, if you haven't yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hi, quick question.

Interested in Phase 3 and was on the phone with SF today. My question is from the point of view of a newbie and completely clueless FTB.

If phase 3 is to be delivered possibly late this year/ early next year then how are people dealing with the expiration on AIP. Do you have to go through the whole approval process for a mortgage again?

Thanks in advance for help. Its very much appreciated.

You need to get the full mortgage offer and then you will need to reapply in 6 months time. They won't let you sign contracts on AIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Thanks Mattwm.

I'm already stressed and it's only 2 weeks. Here's hoping I'll have good news in a few weeks.

Hi folks,

Noticed a sign today in the DART station for a community meeting tomorrow night (28th March) at 7:30 in the Hub, 60 Main Street.
    Can find an online equivalent so typed it out.

Community Meeting!

Clongriffin and Belmayne

Tuesday 28th of March at 7:30pm in The Hub, 60 Main Street

If you want to talk to local councilors, Gardai, Gannon Management and get to know your neighbours- Join us, the more the merrier.

Topics covered:

- Train Station
    - New Builds
    - Shops and planning permission
    - Anti-social behavior
    - Illegal dumping
    - Schools, roads, local events etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I would love to know what they say about the Dart station at this meeting. One of the two entrances had the shutter in a right state yesterday morning. This morning, it was fully closed and why would Irish Rail repair it when it will just be wrecked again and no security around the place?

I haven't done a full check but is there any pane of glass that hasn't been cracked or replaced by timber at this stage? I see the culprits have now started breaking the glass pieces on the steps of the staircase so they must be using a hammer or similar object to make such an impression.

Hey IrishBigFoot, are you attending the meeting? I unfortunately can't (plus I'm only a lowly tenant, but I'd like to listen in), but could you post a brief summary after it? I think it'd be very useful for a lot of people who live in Clongriffin and/or might be planning to buy there in the future (myself included!).

No hassle if you can't, thanks for the info anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I live in Red Arches Road, but use clongriffin station every day.

WOW it's gone to ****. It's possibly the worst looking station atm that I have used. I know Bayside gets battered from time to time, but this is something else. Why is a there not security there full time? I often get the train and the station is unmanned.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Hey IrishBigFoot, are you attending the meeting? I unfortunately can't (plus I'm only a lowly tenant, but I'd like to listen in), but could you post a brief summary after it? I think it'd be very useful for a lot of people who live in Clongriffin and/or might be planning to buy there in the future (myself included!).

No hassle if you can't, thanks for the info anyway!

Didn't manage to get to it myself with the late notice unfortunately.
    Did pass by about half 8 and the meeting was still going on and the room was packed! Hopefully somebody on here was able to go and give some details.

I did come across another Facebook group called Clongriffin Community Sports & Social which had a different notice up about the meeting- they may put up the minutes from it as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pelicannon

Unfortunately not much other than "call the guards if you see anything".

Pelicannon wrote: »
    Unfortunately not much other than "call the guards if you see anything".

Mmm, I wonder what's going to happen when they will, inevitably, smash the remaining shutter in the station to the point that it doesn't open anymore...

Any news about shops? There are plenty of people in the area now, it seems weird that most of the shops lay empty still :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Hi folks,

Noticed a sign today in the DART station for a community meeting tomorrow night (28th March) at 7:30 in the Hub, 60 Main Street.
    Can find an online equivalent so typed it out.

Community Meeting!

Clongriffin and Belmayne

Tuesday 28th of March at 7:30pm in The Hub, 60 Main Street

If you want to talk to local councilors, Gardai, Gannon Management and get to know your neighbours- Join us, the more the merrier.

Topics covered:

- Train Station
    - New Builds
    - Shops and planning permission
    - Anti-social behavior
    - Illegal dumping
    - Schools, roads, local events etc

I attended this meeting from 19:38.

Now unless they covered all topics in those 8 minutes, there was unfortunately little talk about Clongriffin, the dart station or the anti-social behaviour.

The meeting was dominated on the topic of building and planning for the Belmayne area. There are plans to build 150 (memory is hazy on the exact number but it's around there) concentrated social houses.

This, as you can imagine was the main sticking point for the residents. They are afraid that because it's concentrated social housing, it will result in a ghetto.

Then upon completion of the private housing, the residents will be forced to live around ghetto residents who will display anti-social behaviour (their words not mine :) ) and make it generally unpleasant.

The solution pushed forward by the concerned residents is to "pepper" the social housing. Every 4th of 5th unit should be social. Many stated that they're not against social housing, they're against concentrated social housing.

The Dublin City Council guy also made it a point that there are people living in the Hilton and Clayton hotel that are in desperate need of housing.

There was also a valid point that the road infrastructure will simply not support these new developments for both Clongriffin and Belmayne. The Dublic Council had nothing to say about this.

There was some mention regarding the nursery home and school, unfortunately I was not paying attention to this as I was texting my wife so I don't know the full details on that. Suffice to say that it's in the plans for the area.

The little they mentioned about Clongriffin is:

1. A hotel is to be built close to the dart station. That empty area by the first bus stop. Plot 19 I believe.
    2. Empty units in the shopping centre are to be re-purposed into office units.
    3. More housing units to be built.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Mmm, I wonder what's going to happen when they will, inevitably, smash the remaining shutter in the station to the point that it doesn't open anymore...

Any news about shops? There are plenty of people in the area now, it seems weird that most of the shops lay empty still :confused:.

This was mentioned in the meeting as well. The issue is that Clongriffin is a commuter town at the moment. You are correct in that there are plenty of people in the area but not during office hours.

It's simply not viable to open shops as the area becomes quiet during office hours.

This may change though as empty units in the shopping centre are to be re-purposed into office units.

The broken glass in the station is a recent thing- there was some cracked glass when we first moved in but has only been shattered and boarded up recently.

Not entirely true.

Two years ago the station was a sight to behold. From about December 2015 the delinquents moved into the area and started their rampage. The dart station has been under constant vandalism since then (Dec 2015).

There was a car in my road that was targeted for vandalism. Every night they'd take a brick and break a window or two and dent the car.

Dustbins stolen and set alight (Mine and 3 other neighbours)

The 2nd bus stops windows were also broken.

An empty shops windows were also broken. Although I only saw this once.

• Advertisement

1. My wife often walks home during the night and she has had no problems. This is at 10/11pm. She doesn't feel unsafe either. Touch wood that it stays like this.
    2. My wife boards the train at 8:14 and she doesn't have problems with capacity and almost always has a seat.
    3. I board at 8:32 and I also don't have troubles with capacity. I always stand in the train so it's never been an issue for me. I find the dart seats too uncomfortable to sit in, unless I'm drunk :pac:
    4. The frequency isn't an issue. With a little bit of planning you're good to go.
    There are some caveats regarding the trains.

Malahide will always call at the Clongriffin Dart Station.

Drogheda is not guaranteed. You'll be wise to carefully pay attention to the announcements for the Drogheda train because at times it will skip Clongriffin.

It'll stop at Howth Junction and Portmarnock, but it will skip Clongriffin. A station directly between both. Go figure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

To be fair, Clongriffin has decent transport options in my opinion. I've mentioned these before but for the life of me cannot find it.

1. Bus 15 takes you down main road
    2. Bus 27 takes you about 500 meters from main road.
    3. Malahide always stops at Clongriffin
    4. Drogheda stops at Clongriffin sometimes.
    5. and if you're really desperate or Drunk :D, Board the Howth train and walk from Howth Junction.

Advertisement