Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending a Mother's Day card.....but not to mum cards

Options
  • 16-03-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So this happened to me over the weekend and I would love to hear what you guys think...
    Myself and my husband left our 4 month old baby to be minded by the grandparents for the weekend as we had a social outing to attend.
    When I rang to check on my baby on Sunday, I was told by a very excited Granny that my 'baby' (i.e. her 70 year old husband) went and bought her a card for Mother's Day.
    She then went to read me the card from my baby that listed how wonderfully she was looking after him. Then she told me she was celebrating 'her' day with a glass of champagne.
    I let her share her excitement with me on the phone and then asked, did my baby 'buy' a card for his real mom as well. She started giggling and think got quite embarrassed by the question.
    What do you think I should do?
    I don't want this to be a yearly occurrence, I think she should be celebrating cards from her actual baby (my 30 year old husband) rather than mine. Or should I let her celebrate Mother's Day with my child and let this become a thing? I struggle to understand why would her husband not think of getting me a Mother's Day card seeing that he went to a shop to get one for his wife...
    I would appreciate your thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

So you expect your father in law to get you a Mother's Day card? That seems mad to me, if anyone should get you a Mother's day card it's your own partner, assuming your child is too young to make/get you one. Your father in law has every right to buy a card for his wife, she is the mother of his children. It'll hardly be an annual occurrence unless you plan on them minding your child every mother's day weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd imagine he got his wife a card as a jokey/cute thing because they were minding the baby on Mother's day. Not sure why you'd make any sort of deal out of it bar thanking them profusely for minding your baby for a weekend for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,435 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I know when I was young there used be cards for your nan on mothers day. Maybe he got one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Seems like a gross overreaction to a totally harmless gesture. Why on earth would it bother you that he didn't get a card for you too? He probably bought it on the spur of the moment when standing in the shop, thinking it would be slightly humourous and also give Granny a few smiles. And if he did it for the next 20 years in a row, so what? I'm 37 and still sign a mother's card for my Grandmother every year, as well as my own mum.

Never ceases to amaze me how people can find something negative in something positive. You should feel grateful that Granny and Grandad were kind enough and gracious enough to mind baby for the whole weekend so you could have a social outing rather than focusing on something totally trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I think it is really sweet gesture on the part of your baby's Grandfather.

I wouldn't be upset about it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

kaya770 wrote: »
    I don't want this to be a yearly occurrence, I think she should be celebrating cards from her actual baby (my 30 year old husband) rather than mine. Or should I let her celebrate Mother's Day with my child and let this become a thing? I struggle to understand why would her husband not think of getting me a Mother's Day card seeing that he went to a shop to get one for his wife...

I have to say, this really comes across as very mean minded.

Granny was good enough to mind your child for the weekend (and no doubt delighted judging by the cute story of Grandad getting the card for her) and all you can say is the above?

Its not all about you. Why would her husband get you a card? He isnt married to you.

I would think you could be a little more generous in spirit than to just think bad of them because they didnt get you a card, considering they were doing you the favour of taking your child for the weekend in the first place!

As for letting her celebrate Mothers day with your child - well you werent with the child celebrating it so why shouldnt she?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I always got my grandma a mother's day card on mother's day, they do some lovely ones for grandma ? And of course ones for grandad on father's day.
    I'm surprised you weren't annoyed about her drinking alcohol whilst babysitting for your baby, that would of concerned me more than a harmless gesture of the card to be honest !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

When I was young (my mams folks were passed on) my parents use to get us to make a Mother's Day card from us to my dads mam as she was are only grandparent alive in Ireland. There's nothing wrong with grandparents getting s mothers/fathers day card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Never ceases to amaze me how people can find something negative in something positive

Exactly my own sentiments.

I think you are out of line OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

One question. Did your partner buy you a mothers day card?
    If he did then what's the problem, the granny's partner did the exact same.
    If he didn't, then maybe that's your issue.

How you make this out as a problem and think people on the Internet are going to help your warped mind is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Look honestly i think you are more upset by this because you missed mother's day with your baby,

my daughter "buys" her grandparents a mothers day card and gift, as did i, it's a nice gesture,

when you say " 'her' day" i think you forget it is her day, she is mother to your husband, and grand-mother to your child, so mother's day is as much her's as it is yours or mine.

and as for asking about did the baby buy a card for his "real mom" that is quite rude imo of course she know's you are his mom, she was probably excited at celebrating mothers day with her grandchild,

as for why he didn't buy you a card, it is your husband, not your father-in-law who should be responsible for purchasing you cards if they mean that much to you.

i think you need to let this go, if you don't want this to become a yearly occurrence don't ask them to babysit for you on special occasions like mother's day. In saying that i'd also see nothing wrong should he do the same and buy her a card next year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It sounds like Granny and Grandad were very excited to be minding their new grandchild and Grandad made a nice gesture to his wife for the day that was in it. Maybe they were reminiscing about when they first became parents.
    Why would you be annoyed by this, it sounds very sweet and certainly not anything to be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Jesus OP I'm actually embarrassed for you. I think your child has brilliant grandparents. I think you should apologize to that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I don't want this to be a yearly occurrence, I think she should be celebrating cards from her actual baby (my 30 year old husband) rather than mine. Or should I let her celebrate Mother's Day with my child and let this become a thing?
    I would appreciate your thoughts...

Did your husband not buy you a card from your child? Surely not your father in law's responsibility?

Next year, I'd suggest you either buy a card or get your child- who'll be a toddler- to make one for their Grandparent.
    In fact, as it obviously means so much to them, why not start for Father's day in June.

You're incredibly fortunate to have parents in law who'll mind your child for a weekend, many couples aren't so lucky.
    Best not to dwell on something so trivial, instead focus on the positive - you got a weekend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

Senna wrote: »
    One question. Did your partner buy you a mothers day card?
    If he did then what's the problem, the granny's partner did the exact same.
    If he didn't, then maybe that's your issue.

How you make this out as a problem and think people on the Internet are going to help your warped mind is beyond me.

Thanks for all the replies.

No, I didn't get a card from my husband. I don't really mind but I guess it made me a little sad that they thought of the Granny on Mother's day rather than me.

The reason I am posting this question on the forum is simply because I was quite baffled by this and having been raised in a different culture I didn't really know how to interpret this. It sounds like a sweet Irish tradition and I am happy to hear that other grannies get cards on Mother's Day and it's totally normal. Where I come from it's only the mom (or whomever fulfills the role of a 'mom') that gets to celebrate the day. Forums are a nice and safe way of finding out, wouldn't you agree :)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

If mother's day is so important to you, why did you stay away?

Your complaint against your mother in law is just pure craziness. You should tell her that you're sorry if you were rude but you had a pang to be away from the baby. And then I'd get her a big bunch of flowers for being a lovely mother in law.

Edited to say: I wrote this before the above reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

No, I didn't get a card from my husband. I don't really mind but I guess it made me a little sad that they thought of the Granny on Mother's day rather than me.

Who are They? It was your father in law who thought of your mother in law.

Did your husband get his mother a card also? If he did then I think your gripe should be with him, as it would be his responsibility to arrange a mothers day card for you when the children are too young to do it themselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maybe they assumed that your husband would have looked after buying a card from the baby and it didn't occur to them that he wouldn't have. If they'd known they might have got one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

miamee wrote: »
    Maybe they assumed that your husband would have looked after buying a card from the baby and it didn't occur to them that he wouldn't have. If they'd known they might have got one for you.

You see now I get it, I didn't realize that's what husbands/partners were supposed to do :-) I'll let my one off the hook... this year ;-)!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

The reason I am posting this question on the forum is simply because I was quite baffled by this and having been raised in a different culture I didn't really know how to interpret this. It sounds like a sweet Irish tradition and I am happy to hear that other grannies get cards on Mother's Day and it's totally normal. Where I come from it's only the mom (or whomever fulfills the role of a 'mom') that gets to celebrate the day. Forums are a nice and safe way of finding out, wouldn't you agree :)?
    I was born and raised in England so it's also an English custom too.
    but maybe have a word with your partner let him know you'd like a card too on special days from your little one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

You see now I get it, I didn't realize that's what husbands/partners were supposed to do :-) I'll let my one off the hook... this year ;-)!

Yes, generally when kids are young the dad arranges a card for the mum and as they get older they may start drawing cards etc.

Also, we would give mothers day cards to grannies, after all they are still mums!

But you are right to ask in a forum and I am sure different cultures approach these things differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

You made prior arrangements to spend mothers day apart from your child and you are complaining you missed out on a card

Isn't it nice your child didn't missing out celebrating mothers day because of you "social engagement" because granny and granddad made it special

You should thanks them for minding them and next year if you want a card, arrange to spend mothers day with your children

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Dellnum

I think that your mother in law was just hinting that her husband bought her a Mother's Day Card instead of her son. Your husband should have been the one buying her the card or at least phoning her to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. I would not expect to get any card from your husband or your father in law on behalf of your baby, some husbands do that when the baby is too young to get its mother a card but that is not the norm. Its your husband who is at fault here, and not your inlaws. He should have done something for his mother, especially when she was minding his baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Forums are a nice and safe way of finding out, wouldn't you agree :)?

Yep, that's the whole idea. Someone posts an issue. People give an outside perspective. The poster takes that under consideration. The system works... apparently.

Glad you've gotten help. I understand it may have seemed a bit weird to you or something. But I really don't think there's anything to be read into it beyond your mother in law feeling nostalgic about when her son was a kid like your son is now, given the fact that it was mothers day and she was very kindly minding him for you, so your father in law was being a very sweet old guy by buying her a mothers day card from your son. And your mother in law found it so sweet and funny she wanted to share it with you.

They sound like a very nice old couple and you should be very thankful to have them as part of your family by the sound of things.

(Just to say, it's not defacto that a husband buys a mothers day card for his wife when the kids are young here, some do, some don't, some women expect it, some don't. If you think it would be nice next year or in future for your husband to do this, you'd kinda have to let him know that's how you feel, perhaps in the run up to next mothers day.)

My own son is 16 and he didnt get me a card, and I would have really really liked one, but I didn't kick up a fuss about it or make him feel bad (his dad did though!)

however - I insisted he text my mother yesterday to say happy mothers day and she was delighted that he did. Grandparents are so important, Why isnt there a "grandparents day"? because they deserved to be spoiled and acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

My own son is 16 and he didnt get me a card, and I would have really really liked one, but I didn't kick up a fuss about it or make him feel bad (his dad did though!)

however - I insisted he text my mother yesterday to say happy mothers day and she was delighted that he did. Grandparents are so important, Why isnt there a "grandparents day"? because they deserved to be spoiled and acknowledged.

The 13th of September is Grandparents Day this year.

The 13th of September is Grandparents Day this year.

Really? I didn't know that, will make a fuss of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

bjork wrote: »
    You made prior arrangements to spend mothers day apart from your child and you are complaining you missed out on a card

Isn't it nice your child didn't missing out celebrating mothers day because of you "social engagement" because granny and granddad made it special

You should thanks them for minding them and next year if you want a card, arrange to spend mothers day with your children
    It's a bloody hallmark holiday. She didn't exactly abandon the child with grandparents for a year. The child is young enough he/she won't know what all the fuss is about.

Op I think you completely overreacted over some completely illogical action. Your child didn't give a card, your husband's father gave a card to your husband's mother. Now if your child themselves would give the card to the grandmother instead to you it might be a problem. Although to be honest mine would do it in a heartbeat if they were offered a piece of chocolate by her.

I might be joking but giving birth or becoming a grand parent is not an achievement and your child doesn't owe you gratitude for that. I would much prefer to see mine grow up into balanced and happy adults and if they want to they can thank me at my funeral. Before that they can spend present/card money on cigarettes and alcohol. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's a bloody hallmark holiday. ....

I know, but if she's going to take it so seriously, then at least spend the day with the child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Ah here, that sounds like next yr we are going to see a thread about how your husband didn't get you a card for Mother's Day.

While it may sometimes happen that partners get each other cards for Mothers / Father's Day it's not a necessarily the norm for everyone.

If you are going to expect a card from anyone except your children (when they are old enough) then at least be fair and let himself know well in advance that you expect that. Don't assume it will be known by him without telling him.

Advertisement