Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fidelma Healy Eames at it again. Claims SSM might mean that Mother's Day is banned!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Saying the same thing over and over again does not make it true.

Please point out the section of the referendum that mentions adoption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Shrap wrote: »
    Again, so? That's what we pay them for.

Great argument, Just plough ahead without any regard for any consequences down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

From Reuters: "3-parent babies: Britain first to legalize radical DNA treatment"
    http://rt.com/uk/235363-three-parent-babies-legalized/

Reminder: 2016 is next year.

Also, final attempt, can you please, please please answer my question?

"In countries where SSM has been legal for years (Spain, Norway, Belgium, Canada, etc.), what, in your opinion, has been the impact upon the wider society?"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94712067&postcount=223

It's really annoying when someone makes a claim and then repeatedly ignores any questions about it.

I haven't lived in Spain, Norway, Belgium or Canada, etc, so I haven't a clue what life over there is like, for kids raised by straight parents or for kids raised by gay parents. I believe that the best interests of a child, where possible, is to be raised by its biological parents.

Some of the unconventional paternity options that are lying just around the corner for us in this country, where as was mentioned in the media the other day, a gay man's mother going down the road of being a surrogate mother for her gay son's child, making her at the same time, the birth mother and biological grandmother of the child, and the gay father also being an uncle and a father to his child, if you think any of this is normal or healthy, then I really worry about where we are heading as a country:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/governments-experiment-with-the-lives-of-irelands-children-is-a-scandal-31044878.html

Redefinition of the family/marriage. Not rocket science, since the whole bases of family law is based on that current unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Why does it have to?

Should a married couple not be considered more suitable to adopt than an unmarried couple or a single person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Redefinition of the family/marriage. Not rocket science, since the whole bases of family law is based on that current unit.

The redefining of family will happen before the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Great argument, Just plough ahead without any regard for any consequences down the line.

Is your "oh my god, think of the legislators" some sort of an argument as to why we shouldn't change the constitution? Our constitution sucks in a lot of areas. Plenty needs rewriting, through new legislation and the consequences of same. But we shouldn't change it because there will be changes?! :pac:

Dumbest argument I've heard all day up here, and that's saying something.

as has been pointed out MANY MANY times there is a separate bill currently in the oireachtas that covers adoption. a SEPARATE bill. That will be passed irrespective of the referendum. Gay couples will be allowed to adopt even if the referendum is not passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sorry, two gay people cannot conceive a child that is biologically descended from both of them.

As I've said, in my view, SSM is about the furtherance of the right of gay people to have children as part of a FAMILY and a MARRIED gay couple being the head of that family, at the expense of a child's prime right to be reared by its biological parents where that is at all possible.

You disagree, but I do not believe that that makes my point wrong or invalid in any way whatsoever.

I do accept though that a new act was introduced that is allowing gay couples to adopt children, and the only reason this happened was because this government wanted to legislate for SSM and had to separate out the whole question of children, and legislate for what would simply never have been passed, had the subject of gay couples having the right to adopt children, been put to people in this SSM referendum.

My point being is that it's awfully convenient that you can now argue that "SSM has nothing to do with the right of gay people to adopt children, this is a completely separate issue that has now been legislated for", when the whole debate has been specifically engineered by the government, essentially in your favour. And if you disagree, then you might explain to me why this legislation has been introduced immediately before the SSM referendum?

So, that's a no then. You have no argument against SSM that doesn't involve something that gay people already do.
    Are you missing out the part of changing the Constitution ? Redefining Marriage/the family. Only Lawyers and constitutional judges will be able to give us the whole run down on the after effects.

Again, the fact that women can marry whoever they want means that marriage has already been redefined.

I wonder if at the time there was uproar over the fact that being able to marry someone of a different colour meant that marriage had been redefined, and before that that marrying someone of a different religion meant that marriage had been redefined, and before that that not being able to buy a bride meant that marriage had been redefined, and before that the fact a man couldn't have multiple wives meant that marriage had been redefined, and before that that you couldn't kidnap a woman from the next village meant that marriage had been redefined, and before that that you couldn't bash a woman over the head and drag her back to your cave meant that marriage had been redefined.

Things are constantly redefined. That is what progress is; redefining what came before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

reprise wrote: »

Should a married couple not be considered more suitable to adopt than an unmarried couple or a single person?

No.

• Advertisement

Why does it have to?

more suitable why?

sup_dude wrote: »
    The redefining of family will happen before the referendum.

Which simply means it can happen again. No need for a referendum.

as has been pointed out MANY MANY times there is a separate bill currently in the oireachtas that covers adoption. a SEPARATE bill. That will be passed irrespective of the referendum. Gay couples will be allowed to adopt even if the referendum is not passed.

Never said they would not be able to ?

Which simply means it can happen again. No need for a referendum.

What can happen again? There is a need for a referendum. People want to get married and can't.

what exactly is your point? It seems to change with the wind.

more suitable why?

Why not?

You think it hasn't been a factor before?

You said that family will be redefined by this referendum. It won't. The bill on children and family, which addresses more than just gay adoption, will redefine family. This referendum won't.

Why not?

You think it hasn't been a factor before?

So getting married makes you a better parent??

What can happen again? There is a need for a referendum. People want to get married and can't.

They can if they stay within the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

For anyone interested in the actual effects of same-sex parenting:

Quoting from this thread:
    oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Key papers:

Biblarz, T., Stacey, J. (2010). How does the gender of parents matter? Journal of Marriage and Family, 72,3-22.
    http://www.famigliearcobaleno.org/pu...nts-Matter.pdf

Bos, H. M. W., Gartrell, N. K., van Balen, F., Peyser, H. and Sandfort, T. G. M. (2008), Children in Planned Lesbian Families: A Cross-Cultural Comparison Between the United States and the Netherlands. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 78: 211–219
    http://www.nllfs.org/images/uploads/...ilies-2008.pdf

Henny M. W. Bos, Frank van Balen, Children in planned lesbian families: Stigmatisation, psychological adjustment and protective factors, Culture, Health &Sexuality, Vol. 10, Iss. 3, 2008.
    http://www.narcis.nl/publication/Rec...:uva.nl:307079

US National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study: Psychological Adjustment of 17-Year-Old Adolescents , Nanette Gartrell and Henny Bos Pediatrics 2010; peds.2009-3153; published ahead of print June 7, 2010
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or....full.pdf+html

Bos, Henny M. W., Hakvoort, Esther M.,Child adjustment and parenting in planned lesbian families with known and as-yet unknown donors (2007) Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics & Gynecology, 28, 121-129
    http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/e.m.ha...voort_2007.pdf

Gartrell, Nanette, Bos, Henny, Goldberg, Naomi, (2010) Adolescents of the U.S. National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study: Sexual Orientation, Sexual Behavior, and Sexual Risk Exposure, Archives of Sexual Behavior.
    http://www.familieslg.org/_comun/bib..._Sex_Behav.pdf

Henny Bos and Theo G. M. Sandfort, (2010) Children’s Gender Identity in Lesbian and Heterosexual Two-Parent Families, Sex Roles, 62, 114-126
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2807026/

Farr, R. H., & Patterson, C. J. (2009). Transracial adoption among lesbian, gay, and heterosexual couples: Who completes transracial adoptions and with what results? Adoption Quarterly, 12, 187–204.
    http://people.virginia.edu/~cjp/articles/fp09.pdf

Biblarz, Timothy J., Savci, Evren (2010) Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Families, Journal of Marriage and Family, 72, 480-497
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0.00714.x/full

Bos, H. M. W., van Balen, F., & Van den Boom, D. C. (2007). Child
    adjustment and parenting in planned lesbian-parent families.
    American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 77, 38–48.
    http://www.meerdangewenst.nl/documenten/AJOP.pdf

Gartrell, N., Deck, A., Rodas, C., Peyser, H., & Banks, A. (2005). The
    National Lesbian Family Study: 4. Interviews with the 10-year-old
    children. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 75, 518–524.
    http://www.nllfs.org/images/uploads/...-olds-2005.pdf

Perrin,E.C.,&AmericanAcademyof Pediatrics,Committee on Psychosocial
    Aspects of Child, Family Health. (2002). Technical report:
    Coparent or second-parent adoption by same-sex parents. Pediatrics,
    109, 341–344.
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...6c302e03b8d796

Vanfraussen, K., Ponjaert-Kristoffersen, I., & Brewaeys, A. (2002).
    What does it mean for youngsters to grow up in a lesbian family
    created by means of donor insemination? Journal of Reproductive
    and Infant Psychology, 20, 237–252.
    http://psycnet.apa.org/?fa=main.doiL...2002-11380-003

Parenting and Child Development in Adoptive Families: Does Parental Sexual Orientation Matter?
    Rachel H. Farr, Stephen L. Forssell, Charlotte J. Patterson
    Applied Developmental Science Vol. 14, Iss. 3, 2010

Family Structure and Children's Health in the United States: Findings from the National Health Interview Survey, 2001-2007

Books, Reviews, Meta-Analyses

The Role of the Father in Child Development, Michael E. Lamb

Tasker, F. (2005). Lesbian mothers, gay fathers and their children: A
    review. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 26,
    224–240.
    http://journals.lww.com/jrnldbp/Abst...ldren_.12.aspx

Tasker, F. (2010) Same-sex parenting and child development: Reviewing the contribution of parental gender, Journal of Marriage and Family
    http://www.famigliearcobaleno.org/pu...evelopment.pdf

Consensus Positions

American Psychological Assocation

Position Statement in Support of Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Civil Marriage

Amicus brief submitted in support of 9th Circuit Court of Appeals challenge to California Prop 8

Lesbian and Gay Parenting Resource Publication

Canadian Psychological Association

Brief presented to the Legislative House of Commons Committee on Bill
    C38

American Academy of Pediatrics

Policy statement - Coparent or second-parent adoption by same-sex parents

Australian Psychological Society

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) parented families - A literature review

American Psychoanalytic Association

Position statement on Gay and Lesbian Parenting

American Psychiatric Association

Adoption and co-parenting by same-sex couples

North American Council on Adoptable Children

Gay and Lesbian Adoptions and Foster Care

Royal College of Psychiatrists

Submission to the Church of England's Listening Exercise on Human Sexuality

American Academy of Child & Adolescent Pscyhiatry

Children with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents

American National Association of Social Workers

Amicus brief - California Supreme Court - Case No. S147999

Child Welfare League of America

Position statement on parenting of children by lesbian, gay and bisexual adults

Legal Decisions

Third District Court of Appeal, State of Florida, Docket No. 3D08-3044
    "As a result, based on the robust nature of the evidence available in the field, this Court is satisfied that the issue is so far beyond dispute that it would be irrational to hold otherwise; the best interests of children are not preserved by prohibiting homosexual adoption."

• Advertisement

So getting married makes you a better parent??

How did you figure that?

Shrap wrote: »
    Is your "oh my god, think of the legislators" some sort of an argument as to why we shouldn't change the constitution? Our constitution sucks in a lot of areas. Plenty needs rewriting, through new legislation and the consequences of same. But we shouldn't change it because there will be changes?! :pac:

Dumbest argument I've heard all day up here, and that's saying something.

:pac: Really. It's not just like changing one part of the constitution. The family and Marriage are integral parts of it. All of our family law is based on the unit currently in the constitution. Not rocket science. And trying to shout people down with primary school level insults is pretty funny thanks for the laugh.

They can if they stay within the law.

So people should just choose to fall in love with the opposite gender... right, that'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I haven't lived in Spain, Norway, Belgium or Canada, etc, so I haven't a clue what life over there is like, for kids raised by straight parents or for kids raised by gay parents. I believe that the best interests of a child, where possible, is to be raised by its biological parents.

Some of the unconventional paternity options that are lying just around the corner for us in this country, where as was mentioned in the media the other day, a gay man's mother going down the road of being a surrogate mother for her gay son's child, making her at the same time, the birth mother and biological grandmother of the child, and the gay father also being an uncle and a father to his child, if you think any of this is normal or healthy, then I really worry about where we are heading as a country:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/governments-experiment-with-the-lives-of-irelands-children-is-a-scandal-31044878.html

So you're admitting that you're claiming there will be some 'impact upon the wider society', without any actual evidence, even though there are many countries where same sex marriage is already a reality?

All your link shows is that surrogacy laws must be reformed, which was a well known fact already, and completely unrelated to same sex marriage.

:pac: Really. It's not just like changing one part of the constitution. The family and Marriage are integral parts of it. All of our family law is based on the unit currently in the constitution. Not rocket science. And trying to shout people down with primary school level insults is pretty funny thanks for the laugh.

Why do you keep saying "not rocket science" when you're in the wrong?

How did you figure that?

I didnt. It is what you are trying to imply.

So people should just choose to fall in love with the opposite gender... right, that'll work.

Works for everyone else not permitted to marry on their own terms.

I didnt. It is what you are trying to imply.

It really isn't. Please rely on my stated position rather than assume one for me.

You said that family will be redefined by this referendum. It won't. The bill on children and family, which addresses more than just gay adoption, will redefine family. This referendum won't.

No I said marriage/the family. Redefining marriage will have a knock on effect of changing the current unit used in family law. Hence the other changes in the Family. The current family unit is integral to Family law.

• Advertisement

Works for everyone else not permitted to marry on their own terms.

Like who?
    It really isn't.

Then what did you mean by that post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement