Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room his girlfriend moved in

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Rule number 1:
    Don't share/live with couples. EVER.
    Doubly so if one half was sneaked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

you'd be better off without either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Personally? The guy overstepped the mark from the time Girlfriend moved in. He knows it. You know it. Tell him tonight, give them until the end of the week, then they have to hit the pavement. His hard luck stories are not your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

Agree. Taking the p**s. Extra money or show em the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

You could ask him to have a chat for a few minutes. Tell him you are happy with him as a tenant and in fact you did not mind his partner staying for a short while. But as it looks like she is still there, you will expect him to understand that she needs to pay the same amount as he does. He may quibble, but it sounds like you are charging too little. So it is 400 for one person or 800 for two. You do not have to justify your charge - there is a lot of inconvenience etc sharing with a "couple". Just say that that will be the charge for her "going forward" (an expression I hate!) ...either you will get the extra money or she will move out or they both will. Try not to have a bust-up as your apartment might suffer. Also you should say you expect her to pay 4 weeks up front (you DID do this with him didnt you?) . Do not be afraid of having to find somebody else - if you are generally agreeable he wont want to go. Dont ramble around the point, just make your few points and keep repeating them nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

On another point, it is useful to have a printed list of "house rules" covering visitors and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, lots of people here telling you that you have a problem living with a couple. Maybe you do. Maybe you don't. Really, it's your call.

But think carefully: how much of a problem is she, and how much extra cost is involved in having her in the house? Use those factors to decide how much you want to up the rent.

Yeah, it's not great that it just happened - but it's possible that he didn't really plan it that way, or that he just didn't think about how you'd see it.

Solve problems that you actually have, not ones that randoms on the interweb think you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

cerastes wrote: »
    That sounds like a mess, for a start, bills based on fixed amounts means a person renting a room may be paying more or maybe even less than what's due. Go by the bill at the time and the Meter readings is a more accurate and fair way.
    Mixing rent and bills is a messy scenario in my opinion, no incentive scheme r them not to take long electric showers, run heating when its not needed. ....
    Having been a lodger for many years, I have always preferred a "bills included" basis. I knew exactly how much I had to pay per month even if it was more than a shre of the actual bills.

I don't write the rules - the monies you receive all contribute towards that 12k, so if you are getting a fixed amount or rent + bills you have to have a record of all monies received over the year on the off chance you are audited.
    Which imo is going to happen as a lot of people are abusing this scheme.

It's hardly that big a job to keep the bills and jot down how much received (very easy if just dividing the full bill amount up evenly).

I'd imagine most people keep the bill element in cash anyway so it's not going to be showing up even if audited.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It's hardly that big a job to keep the bills and jot down how much received (very easy if just dividing the full bill amount up evenly).

I'd imagine most people keep the bill element in cash anyway so it's not going to be showing up even if audited.

That there would be fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

That there would be fraud.

This is Ireland... fraud is rife in our wonderful society!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

daUbiq wrote: »
    This is Ireland... fraud is rife in our wonderful society!

Well it is not tolerated here - so there shall be no advice given to the OP that will result in him partaking in any dubious activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Auditors aren't actually dumb.

If there was no written record of how the bills were done, they would quite possible assume that an equal-shared cash split was in place and do an assessment based on that.

For this reason alone, if you're doing "rent-a-room", it's a good idea to have some kind of written agreement, signed by the lodgeer, saying that bills are included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

How many people were ever actually audited over the rent a room scheme ,I'd say very few,

op I'd up the rent, but not so much as to force them to move out, you sat they're quite and stay in the room a lot, I'd try and keep them, better the devil you know would be my take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Op he has showed a complete lack of respect for you and your property. I'm speaking as an owner occupier who rents a room out in my house. If anyone tried to move someone else in they would find themselves out pretty quickly. However if you are going to let her stay i would say charge them an additional €200 at least a month but say you need the bill split as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Completely agree, leaving it longer than a few days and noticing that someone was using the shower and cooking facilities Id be on that pretty quick, from experience if you leave people off they will just take advantage, the sob story doesnt make a difference, they should have brought it up.

Any new info OP? are you a bloke or woman? is there some reason you dont want to tackle this?

While someone has said, it looks like other posters are identifying a more serious problem than you are experiencing, its your home, this wasnt what you agreed to and have questioned it enough to leave it some time and then seek advice here, the overwhelming advice is knock it on the head.

No need to say this in a way that would make it awkward for all to still live together but it needs to be sorted, Id be taking back money too (as in back date what they owed from when she moved in).

I found two apartments, one for 600 and the other 650 on daft in tallaght for house share for a couple/double bedroom, so plus 200 on top of the 400 he already pays is reasonable.
    Thats 300 each for a month which is still reasonable, Id also be doing bills seperate, otherwise you arent getting a fair amount.
    Thats still comes in well under the 12k allowance not even including bills, what are they going to amount to? whatever, deduct that off the money you desperately need and dont expect any favours from someone that has done what they already have so far.

I presume you are in it because you need the money, but you are selling yourself well short by allowing someone else in for a free ride and including bills, with what you have leftover wont be much, how much is it worth the hassle, if they arent happy, well it will cost a damn sight more to get their own place.
    I hope to god you have a deposit, if not start adding it to the monthly rent or you might be back here with another thread after getting very little inn return for your room/extra wear and tear/inconvenience.
    Its not too late to apply this after the fact.
    ALSO, you hold all the cards, you are under no obligation to formalise anything by putting anything in writing, this is your home, you have all the rights, putting anything in writing may reduce that advantage, not something you need in your own home.
    Any insistence or refusal, just give them them the time frame (max a fe days) to sort out the money situation or their marching orders or you will effectively be housing someone free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

cerastes wrote: »
    Any new info OP? are you a bloke or woman? is there some reason you dont want to tackle this?

I am a single bloke Its my place but I hate confrontation even when I am 100% in the right.
    I am right on the edge of being in trouble mortgage/money wise and I just can't manage without the rent money if it comes to that

They have not been around since yesterday so no change yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

robert2000 wrote: »
    I am a single bloke Its my place but I hate confrontation even when I am 100% in the right.
    I am right on the edge of being in trouble mortgage/money wise and I just can't manage without the rent money if it comes to that

They have not been around since yesterday so no change yet!

On the edge, dont worry about it, seriously, when you are up to your neck, then get concerned, even then.
    All the same, it will be better help if they pay their fair share, all the more reason to demand she pays.
    You cant rely on someone like that, youd be better off having someone in that isnt going to mess you about as they are taking advantage of your situation and may suspect you dont want confrontation.
    I recommend you knock it on the head, just tell them (you dont have to ask, plead or encourage, at the same time it doesnt need to be hostile or angry, just matter of fact) she has to pay her way end of or leave if thats what you want, if it was me Id say you'll start splitting the bills three ways (I highly recommend you do that if you are stuck for money).
    Do both of them work? from nearby?

If they say the bills wasnt in the agreement, well neither was her staying either, they are doubling (or maybe more) his expected utility usage and halving what they pay for utilities, on top of that it appears the all in bills deal means there is no limit to how much they could abuse that.

Do you have a deposit? do you know anyone near for moral support? back date any amount to the time she moved in and if you dont have a deposit, get one.

I appreciate you say you need the money, but the bank wont throw you out on your ear if they go or are told to leave, in the interim of getting someone else in.
    You cant rely on someone this bad, Ive found either they will realise the game is up and just pay up or any niceness wears off them rapidly when they realise reality kicks in, so Id say either she moves out or they pay up. I dont think the former will work as she lives there now.
    Basically, youd be better off with them gone, there are other nice and decent people out there. But if she pays her fair share, then take advantage, any hassles or backlash, be prepared to give them notice, if it comes to that get a few mates in for a pizza and xbox or whatever, 24 hours notice is acceptable, any threats call the gardai, and turf him out on the spot.
    Its your decision, they have taken too many privleges so soon from what I can see, what will they be like later? not worth it.

Its been tried on me in the past, in my opinion/experience best nip it in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Some of the advice the OP is being offered here is terrible to be honest it takes no account that if he doesn't turf the person out he still has to live with him. The first thing you should ask your licensee is how long is the GF going to be staying. It is quite possible that she is looking for a place and is stuck for somewhere to stay at the moment in the short term. If shes going to be around for less than a month then seeking extra money is probably not worth it, for the sake of good relations. If she is staying longer then you should look at a three way split of the bills and if the arrangement is more long term then you should look at an increase in the rent. Any increase should be proportional, if there is only you and him, then half his rent is for his room and half is for access to the communal areas. If his rent is 400 then it should only increase to 470.

Demanding the crazy sums proposed here will only lose you your licensee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sorry but I disagree, the lodger has an absolute cheek moving his girlfriend in and the rent should increase retrospectively immediately. Whether or not the girlfriend is looking for a place is not the op's problem and more than two /three nights is not on. They are taking the absolute proverbial! Particularly with bills being included, it's costing the op to have her there!

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree, the lodger has an absolute cheek moving his girlfriend in and the rent should increase retrospectively immediately. Whether or not the girlfriend is looking for a place is not the op's problem and more than two /three nights is not on. They are taking the absolute proverbial!

So you would be willing to lose a needed source of income after two or three days of having a guest. Thats a very inflexible attitude and not likely to be conductive to getting someone to take the room for anything more than a short term basis.

People here are putting zero value on the need to keep good relations. The OP does live with this individual after all. That said I don't think living with an owner occupier is a good idea at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

I'm not saying he should be walked over and If he has an issue with the situation in his house he needs to take control of it and confront it. I'm just saying the high handed unproportional approach advocated by a lot of people here is extremely inflexible and all it is likely to do is alienate his licensee. So what you might say, but he needs the money. Keeping a similar attitude with others is likely to lead to a high turnover of people in the room and consequently a high vacancy rate. All that does is hurt the OP, and no one else.

Living with others is always a compromise, whether that be in a shared tenancy or owner occupier/licensee arrangement. Allowing someone to have their girlfriend over to stay is part of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does it not occur to you that the licensee has shown zero respect for the owner occupier? I have a lodger and from the start the rule was no more frequently than twice a week. If there were exceptional circumstances I know he would come to me and plead the case. We have a good relationship. I couldn't share my home with someone who didn't respect it and me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Does it not occur to you that the licensee has shown zero respect for the owner occupier? I have a lodger and from the start the rule was no more frequently than twice a week. If there were exceptional circumstances I know he would come to me and plead the case. We have a good relationship. I couldn't share my home with someone who didn't respect it and me.

Im the same as you. The licensee has shown zero respect for the owner. In fact they has basically treated the place as they own it not the OP. He is on the a good thing €400 including bills and the girlfriend moved in FOC, he has his bread buttered on both sides. OP the licensee is taking complete advantage of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You sound like a nightmare to live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You sound like a nightmare to live with.

Why? Because the poster expects people to respect his home? Weird - very weird...

For me, it's a no-brainer. Don't like the rules? Leave. Do what you like in your own home that you pay mortgage on. If you live in someone else's property as a tenant or a lodger? Their rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Why?

Telling someone they can 'only have someone round twice a week' is ridiculous, restrictive and is basically treating them like a child.

I would never enter into an arrangement with an owner occupier as I would be worried of dictatorial instructions such as those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As with the above, I'm thinking the tenant knows the OP is under financial stress, chanced his arm, and got away with it.
    robert2000 wrote: »
    Its been a few weeks now I brought it up a while ago and was given a bit of a sob story so i ok you have 4 weeks to sort something out and that time is up!
    As it has been four weeks, have you been able to see how much of an increase to the bills it has become, and have you noticed any of your own habits changed to not lead to confrontations, that possibly has led you to hide in your own home?

Advertisement