Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room his girlfriend moved in

Options
  • 15-03-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have to have a chat with the guy I have rented the spare room to as he has moved in his girlfriend :mad: and although I very much need his rent and don't want to have to go through the process of finding someone again.......
    I just need an idea of how much would a fair increase of rent be for the remainder of her stay? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

robert2000 wrote: »
    I have to have a chat with the guy I have rented the spare room to as he has moved in his girlfriend :mad: and although I very much need his rent and don't want to have to go through the process of finding someone again.......
    I just need an idea of how much would a fair increase of rent be for the remainder of her stay? :confused:

if there are 2 of them and 1 of you 33⅓ each ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

if there are 2 of them and 1 of you 33⅓ each ;-)

For bills yes, but not for rent aswell surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

guttenberg wrote: »
    For bills yes, but not for rent aswell surely?

well if she is living there I would be saying they can put a bit extra.

Its not going to end well living with a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

up the rent by a half at least. you don't need the hassle. He has a cheek...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

I just charge him a flat €400 a month no bills!
    they are nice enough people and stay in the room most of the time but I was not asked and while it is not a permanent arraignment she shows no sign of going any time soon!

• Advertisement

So is an extra €200 a reasonable amount to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes, that amount ,or the door. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Does she use any of the house facilities or just spend the nights there?

Yes cooks showers laundry all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Yes cooks showers laundry all that!

Wow! That is cheeky. At least €200 more then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Don't let them away with it. He is taking the proverbial p***

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

What part of the country are you in, would you find it hard to get someone else to rent it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He's paying 400 including bills.

600 seems ok to me, feel free to ask for 650

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I'd go with 500 and 66.66% of bills.

Any feedback tell him you rented the room to HIM. not him +1.

Bills is most concerning imho - you're presently paying for her to cook/wash/watch tv.

i.e giving a stranger free money.

whupdedo wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in, would you find it hard to get someone else to rent it ??

Tallaght in Dublin, I could get some one else in but its a pain doing all the interviews and stuff ....... Yes i might not have picked the best person but some of the people who came :eek:

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Robert2000 are you an tenant or an owner here in this situation?

the apartment is mine!

the apartment is mine!

If it was me I'd be telling them to get out. That is absolutely ridiculous behaviour out of the two of them.

Do you know what the market rent in the area is by chance?
    If it was me (and I'm an owner occupier too) I'd be charging the market rent for the room + 20/25% and then divvie the bills up by 3.

Please make sure you keep all bills and amounts paid for them from these two - your tax return has to include the rent + bills under the rent a room scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

So is an extra €200 a reasonable amount to ask for?

200 easily and split the bills 3 ways without a doubt, did you or he ever say anything about this? How long have you left it, I'd have said it after she stayed over after 2 days. Say it now, looks like bad news.
    Absolutely 200 plus share bills, its a right cheek to do without asking.
    If he questions it. Its your home and an extra person adds to wear and tear and bills and that she was never mentioned or agreed to, you home, your rules, they have no rights and have pulled a fast one.
    If he doesn't like it or gets shirty give him 24 hours notice and tell him to move his stuff out. Any significant hassle or threats, then don't make any agreement and tell him to leave on the spot. For convenience only I'd refund only what he didn't use. Has he paid a deposit? Have you ever let rooms before op? Up the deposit too, not sharing bills is a recipe for problems also. Check daft for prices?

By taking rent inclusive of bills you are shooting yourself in the foot regarding reaching your limits for what you are taking in for rent a room, in didn't think bills had to be reported too, don't recall seeing that on the form ever but I haven't let a room in years.
    Basically rent inclusive of bills means people have no motivation to keep bills as low as possible, electric heating? Screw it, just run it all day.with the attitude he's taken so far why wouldn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

remainder of her stay? :confused:
    How about nothing, as either she's gone by Monday, or they're both gone by Friday.

Moving someone in "on the sly" when the landlord lives there is just stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I would say at least charge for utilities if nothing else. Last year my sister moved in with me for a few months because of issues with her job (although I lived there alone) and as agreed with my land lord we uped the rent by 35% and split utilities equally.

So if I was paying €1000 for rent and €200 utilities it was put up to €1350 and the utilities we were using.

Its been a few weeks now I brought it up a while ago and was given a bit of a sob story so i ok you have 4 weeks to sort something out and that time is up!
    if I end up getting someone else in I will take your advice about not including bill in the rent!

Its been a few weeks now I brought it up a while ago and was given a bit of a sob story so i ok you have 4 weeks to sort something out and that time is up!
    if I end up getting someone else in I will take your advice about not including bill in the rent!

It's easier to include the bills in the rent for the rent a room scheme as you have to include it in the annual tax return.
    The trick is to have set price plans for all your utilities or pay the same amount in monthly to the accounts so that over the summer you build up a credit to use against the higher winter bills.

If they end up going from not agreeing to paying more for her then take from the deposit for her stay, and I'd check the Meter and split bills, you might not have said it at the start but they arbitrarily changed the agreement without your consent.
    If they stay and you're happy, get a deposit if you don't have one and split bills there ways. Check what the local rental rates are for an apartment and for a room, don't underprice yourself.

Personally if they are difficult in anyway or try negotiate I'd get them to move due to the slyness, they might pull a fast one and do some damage.
    Under no circumstance take any dicking around or late rent.
    I can't see how this would work well going into the future as they have taken the piss, unless they are completely suprised by it and genuinely apologetic I'd move them out, that can be on the spot if there is a hint of a threat or hostility. Otherwise its a reasonable notice, 24 hours is reasonable.
    Accept no excuses.
    Is either of them there during the day,
    Opmif you haven't done this before, even if a person rents there, someone who might claim they are only staying temporarily but are using an all the facilities and running up bills is either in on the agreement or they don't have showers or cook and are there infrequently, tell them she has to chip in or they both ship out.
    Awkward time for them toonif they don't agree or are not happy, take any extra money up front and no excuses or delays so they don't dick you around and leave next week giving them time to do some mischief.

You do have a deposit? Cos that's what helps limit this kind of messing around, ie you lose nothing if you hold some deposit and therefore influence.
    Your place, your rules, don't be swayed by pleas or any hard luck story or it will only get worse.

cerastes wrote: »
    200 easily and split the bills 3 ways without a doubt, did you or he ever say anything about this? How long have you left it, I'd have said it after she stayed over after 2 days. Say it now, looks like bad news.
    Absolutely 200 plus share bills, its a right cheek to do without asking.
    If he questions it. Its your home and an extra person adds to wear and tear and bills and that she was never mentioned or agreed to, you home, your rules, they have no rights and have pulled a fast one.
    If he doesn't like it or gets shirty give him 24 hours notice and tell him to move his stuff out. Any significant hassle or threats, then don't make any agreement and tell him to leave on the spot. For convenience only I'd refund only what he didn't use. Has he paid a deposit? Have you ever let rooms before op? Up the deposit too, not sharing bills is a recipe for problems also. Check daft for prices?

By taking rent inclusive of bills you are shooting yourself in the foot regarding reaching your limits for what you are taking in for rent a room, in didn't think bills had to be reported too, don't recall seeing that on the form ever but I haven't let a room in years.
    Basically rent inclusive of bills means people have no motivation to keep bills as low as possible, electric heating? Screw it, just run it all day.with the attitude he's taken so far why wouldn't he.

cerastes - on the bill element , it's very much a part of the scheme and has been that way for the last 6 years that I've been using it.

From the tax year 2015 onward, the total (gross) rent that you get, which includes sums that the tenant pays for food, utilities, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed €12,000 in the tax year (1 January to 31 December) – see ‘Exclusions from rent-a-room relief’ below .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

It's easier to include the bills in the rent for the rent a room scheme as you have to include it in the annual tax return.
    The trick is to have set price plans for all your utilities or pay the same amount in monthly to the accounts so that over the summer you build up a credit to use against the higher winter bills.

That sounds like a mess, for a start, bills based on fixed amounts means a person renting a room may be paying more or maybe even less than what's due. Go by the bill at the time and the Meter readings is a more accurate and fair way.
    Mixing rent and bills is a messy scenario in my opinion, no incentive scheme r them not to take long electric showers, run heating when its not needed. These people are taking the piss and its been four weeks, I'd be putting an end to this asap op. Never mind the sob stories or anything, its just dragging out that they are taking you for a ride.
    Take cash off them and not a single excuse, they had a chance already, if they see you accepting another excuse they will think you're a soft touch and will lap up any sob story, even if its true, its not your problem, funnily people will pay up only if they have to, if you don't press it,why would they.

cerastes - on the bill element , it's very much a part of the scheme and has been that way for the last 6 years that I've been using it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

I'm not disputing that, said that earlier,been years since I let a room in my home, but these people are taking the op for a ride. Not paying bills/inclusive in the rent means no incentive to minimise them, they have already taken serious advantage here, and don't seem to be paying their fair share.
    The op will be seriously short changed when the weather is colder or they just run things with less concern even in good weather, then the op can find themself paying big bills and getting much less in return for their room.

I don't write the rules - the monies you receive all contribute towards that 12k, so if you are getting a fixed amount or rent + bills you have to have a record of all monies received over the year on the off chance you are audited.
    Which imo is going to happen as a lot of people are abusing this scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

To put it in context, they are paying the equivalent of 50 euro each per week. I paid my mother a lot more than that when I lived back home over 10 years ago!

• Advertisement

700, and she does all the washing & cleaning too

Cut that out.

Advertisement