Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being patronised in the UK over Paddy's day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Is there actually a right and wrong way around a running track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A lot of the park run locations do their courses in reverse at different times of the year. It has **** all to do with anything Irish. Yours just happen to do it in March.

Just wait until someone reminds you that Patrick was born and raised in the west Midlands or Wales before being "stolen" by Irish slave traders.
    Technically, he should be the patron saint of England & Wales. :pac

/ducks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

A lot of the park run locations do their courses in reverse at different times of the year. It has **** all to do with anything Irish. Yours just happen to do it in March.
    They make the announcement that next week people should wear green for st Patricks day and we'll all run round the route in reverse direction...cue laughs

Maybe I should just go along with it and stop taking myself too seriously :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

You're overthinking this. It's just a coincidence.

And an "irish waterfall" is just a randomly allocated name for a "french inhale."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

This is my first post on here after much lurking..so go easy.

Anyways the reason I am threading is to ask what people think about the following. We do a regular organised 5k run round the local park (in SE England) every Saturday morning, ParkRun, for people who know the type of thing. Every year at this time they do it supposedly in honour of Ireland and St Patrick's. A lot of people wear green, which is fine, but they run the laps of the wrong way round the park! I find this somewhat patronising and irritating.

I am from Dundalk (I'm not sure why I think this is relevant!) and sometimes think I should get over myself and see the humour, but I dont think it shows great wit and I am annoyed by the tired implication that we Irish are stupid. I'm sure the people running the run would be horrified if they knew Irish people would feel like this...what do you think?

While most English people will have a good natured josh at you on Patty's day, there is still an underlying racial discrimination attitude with some, for whom 'a bit Irish' is a lingering legacy from their imperial days and widespread denigration of the backward Irish.

Fading away though. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    People calling St. Patrick's Day "Paddy's day" is what annoys me.

Just thought I'd mention that.

As for people running the "wrong way" - have you asked them why they do it, or have you just decided it's because they see the Irish as stupid and this is their way of letting you know? Maybe they just think it's a fun(ny) thing to do, and there's nothing more to it?
    Same! Can't stand it! It's St. Patrick's day or it's nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Just wait until someone reminds you that Patrick was born and raised in the west Midlands or Wales before being "stolen" by Irish slave traders.
    Technically, he should be the patron saint of England & Wales. :pac

/ducks :P

Yeah we kidnapped him and then when he escaped he was told by God to come back and save the savage pagan Irish and their unchristian ways! He's the whole reason the feckin' Catholic Church got it's fangs in Ireland and ruined us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

OP you have to make a stand. While they're running the wrong way round, you should set off in the opposite, correct. direction.

Then think of some obscene remark to make as you pass each other half way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Me too! And don't get me started on Patty's Day.

OP, who cares if they think Irish people are stupid. Just because people think things doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm withya "Nothing" sounds great to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bee06 wrote: »
    Me too! And don't get me started on Patty's Day.

OP, who cares if they think Irish people are stupid. Just because people think things doesn't make it true.
    Patty's (day) just brought me out in a rash :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Patty's (day) just brought me out in a rash :eek:

You and patty need to have a chat with a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Banch ah cants

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Oooh potato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Yeah we kidnapped him and then when he escaped he was told by God to come back and save the savage pagan Irish and their unchristian ways! He's the whole reason the feckin' Catholic Church got it's fangs in Ireland and ruined us!

Oh the first few centuries of (celtic) Catholic ireland were rather decent.

I have to say I agree...not sure why I called it Paddy's day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Turn up in an Irish rugby jersey for good measure
    As long as he's not living in Wales :eek:

I have to say I agree...not sure why I called it Paddy's day
    How many Patrick's do you know who have had their names shortened to Paddy?

Funny enough I am one...and I don't...Pat it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Both my grandads were Patrick but always called Paddy. Still don't like it for Patrick's day though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Oh the first few centuries of (celtic) Catholic ireland were rather decent.

Roman Catholicism didn't arrive in Ireland until the Normans brought it over.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

This is my first post on here after much lurking..so go easy.

Anyways the reason I am threading is to ask what people think about the following. We do a regular organised 5k run round the local park (in SE England) every Saturday morning, ParkRun, for people who know the type of thing. Every year at this time they do it supposedly in honour of Ireland and St Patrick's. A lot of people wear green, which is fine, but they run the laps of the wrong way round the park! I find this somewhat patronising and irritating.

I am from Dundalk (I'm not sure why I think this is relevant!) and sometimes think I should get over myself and see the humour, but I dont think it shows great wit and I am annoyed by the tired implication that we Irish are stupid. I'm sure the people running the run would be horrified if they knew Irish people would feel like this...what do you think?

Just hold a Dunkirk Day run. Dress up in lightweight German uniforms and chase the english around the track until they flee for the exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Sorry op, your indignation train is having trouble starting it's engines. Might have better luck on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Facking Paddys

as they talk in Sunderland....Liverpool...Wolverhampton :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

People calling St. Patrick's Day "Paddy's day" is what annoys me.

Just thought I'd mention that.

As for people running the "wrong way" - have you asked them why they do it, or have you just decided it's because they see the Irish as stupid and this is their way of letting you know? Maybe they just think it's a fun(ny) thing to do, and there's nothing more to it?
    Have you considered that they have been running the wrong way all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is the best thing, I think. Ask them 'why do you run around the track backwards for St. Patrick's Day, but not on any other day of the year?' Their reaction to you asking will speak volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I say call in a bomb threat, heavy accent "codeword: kerrygold." That'll show them English pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

c_man wrote: »
    I say call in a bomb threat, heavy accent "codeword: kerrygold." That'll show them English pricks.

Come now, we should be a little more grateful than that. After all, they taught us how to use English!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

how is there a right and a wrong way around a park? surely everyone is free to go in what direction they want to

Advertisement