Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being patronised in the UK over Paddy's day

Options
  • 14-03-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

This is my first post on here after much lurking..so go easy.

Anyways the reason I am threading is to ask what people think about the following. We do a regular organised 5k run round the local park (in SE England) every Saturday morning, ParkRun, for people who know the type of thing. Every year at this time they do it supposedly in honour of Ireland and St Patrick's. A lot of people wear green, which is fine, but they run the laps of the wrong way round the park! I find this somewhat patronising and irritating.

I am from Dundalk (I'm not sure why I think this is relevant!) and sometimes think I should get over myself and see the humour, but I dont think it shows great wit and I am annoyed by the tired implication that we Irish are stupid. I'm sure the people running the run would be horrified if they knew Irish people would feel like this...what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

What are they making you patron saint of?
    I hope it's something good

Why don't you contact you're local paper screaming discrimination and racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hold a St Georges run

Go to a park up the road, completely wreck it and then complain when the people who used that park have to now come to your park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there a wrong way round when running round a park track? What have you got against clockwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

Is there a wrong way round when running round a park track? What have you got against clockwise?

...It goes one way every other week....hundreds of people doing it...but for Paddy's they go what is described as 'the wrong way' round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

bjork wrote:
    What are they making you patron saint of?
    I hope it's something good
    The patron saint of running laps of a park in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Facking Paddys

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

...It goes one way every other week....hundreds of people doing it...but for Paddy's they go what is described as 'the wrong way' round

So boycott the run and if anyone asks why then explain that you don't appreciate the "backwards Irish" insinuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pretend to be a terrorist and just leave rug sacks randomly about the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Would ye ever stop giving a damn what the Brits say? It's our National Day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

they run the laps of the wrong way round the park! I find this somewhat patronising and irritating.
    Maybe they're just doing it as a change of routine?

The same run, around the same park, in the same direction (EVERY Saturday?) sounds incredibly boring (sorry).

I don't think the British usually view Irish people as stupid. There probably is some perception, on account of historical relations between our two countries, that we are contrary and dissident by our nature. There is probably some truth in that to be fair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

sure be jaysus begorrah we'll have a race be god

doodly eidle doodle di

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No offense OP but this is too trivial to even meet the qualifing standards for first world problem.

So boycott the run and if anyone asks why then explain that you don't appreciate the "backwards Irish" insinuation.

I'm sure they'd really miss me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It will get your point across better than complaining on a site they more than likely don't even know exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

People calling St. Patrick's Day "Paddy's day" is what annoys me.

Just thought I'd mention that.

As for people running the "wrong way" - have you asked them why they do it, or have you just decided it's because they see the Irish as stupid and this is their way of letting you know? Maybe they just think it's a fun(ny) thing to do, and there's nothing more to it?

Get a sign saying "down with this sort of thing" and stand at the finish line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Have a real park event. GO SKANGER DRINKING WITH DUTCHIES AND LINDEN VILLAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Show up in a bowler hat and sash and demand they take the "traditional route"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Train hard op. Lap them twice. Eye of the tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I wasn't aware that people think of Irish people as stupid.

I guess it's what you make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have a real park event. GO SKANGER DRINKING WITH DUTCHIES AND LINDEN VILLAGE

Mmmmm ..... Linden Village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It will get your point across better than complaining on a site they more than likely don't even know exists.

He's asking whether it's an annoying thing to do. It is.

If we had races which we reversed direction on Indian independence day because, well, the Indians are a bit thick ( we imply) it probably would irk a few people from the sub- continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Here's an idea, just run the right way around the park and let the rest of them go the other way.

It can be your way to protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that people think of Irish people as stupid.

I guess it's what you make of it.

Interesting what is historically forgotten and remembered.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    People calling St. Patrick's Day "Paddy's day" is what annoys me.

Just thought I'd mention that.

As for people running the "wrong way" - have you asked them why they do it, or have you just decided it's because they see the Irish as stupid and this is their way of letting you know? Maybe they just think it's a fun(ny) thing to do, and there's nothing more to it?

Yeah I'm sure people just think it's funny...but why is it funny?

Do this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah I'm sure people just think it's funny...but why is it funny?
    I have not the foggiest idea - but you're fairly jumping to conclusions about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I now want a rug sack. I've none, I feel the rugs may be suffering as a result.

• Advertisement

He's asking whether it's an annoying thing to do. It is.

If we had races which we reversed direction on Indian independence day because, well, the Indians are a bit thick ( we imply) it probably would irk a few people from the sub- continent.

That's my point...I don't want to be all po faced...but when I was explaining it to my 9 year old son this morning, I thought I don't like the implication. I do recognise that in the whole scheme of things it is trivial...but I thought it would interesting to see what people on here thought.

Advertisement