Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone to get

• 14-03-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a new phone as soon as possible. Have a few in mind but really not sure which one to go for, himself is trying to persuade me to get the oneplus one I'm struggling to decide.

The phones I have in mind are

One Plus One
    LG G2
    Samsung Galaxy A3
    Samsung Galaxy A5
    Sony Xperia T3
    HTC Desire Eye
    Sony Xperia Z1 / Sony Xperia Z1S

Would really appreciate any help/opinions etc. as I'm struggling to decide which one to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I have the 1+1 since last summer. yes i was one of the first here to get them. Also helped loads here get invites too.
    Its a big phone make no bones about that, however I will never have a small phone again. camera is class, battery life is amazing. easily get over a day using it with the net, playing vids etc.
    Sound is great, video shot on it is great. coupled with my tesco 15e deal it really is amazing. now with them delivering from ireland it works out even cheaper.
    I have had a small few issues with some apps not being able to be installed, however the issue isnt with the 1+1 as such. it was to do with the developer not allowing cm11.
    No yellow screen on my phone, the phantom touch issue I did have, however the next update dealt with it.
    have you seen the oneplus one by any chance? it really is a lovely piece of kit. good luck with whatever you decide. I am glad I bought the 1+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

daytob wrote: »
    I have the 1+1 since last summer. yes i was one of the first here to get them. Also helped loads here get invites too.
    Its a big phone make no bones about that, however I will never have a small phone again. camera is class, battery life is amazing. easily get over a day using it with the net, playing vids etc.
    Sound is great, video shot on it is great. coupled with my tesco 15e deal it really is amazing. now with them delivering from ireland it works out even cheaper.
    I have had a small few issues with some apps not being able to be installed, however the issue isnt with the 1+1 as such. it was to do with the developer not allowing cm11.
    No yellow screen on my phone, the phantom touch issue I did have, however the next update dealt with it.
    have you seen the oneplus one by any chance? it really is a lovely piece of kit. good luck with whatever you decide. I am glad I bought the 1+1

Thank you so much. I haven't seen it in reality, only in photos. I had a galaxy s4 and would prefer a phone around that size. A friend has the iPhone 5c and I find it small and narrow to be honest, definitely need a biggish phone.

At the moment I am using a galaxy mini just until I get my new phone and it is killing me. I hate having something so small and slow.

What app issues did you have the OPO?

Thanks again for such a detailed and quick reply, I appreciate it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The A5 is a really nice phone, with very decent specs for 349. Made completely of metal too. Removable storage is great to have also, something that the OPO does not have, and also the upcoming S6 too unfortunately.

App issues being sometimes they wouldnt install. They arent major apps and i doubt i would have even used them. I dont even recall what they were tbh. They arent important apps or stock apps if that makes sense
    I can pm you the apps i have installed. I have over 120 apps installed with loads of space left.

Thanks so much, appreciate your answers and help :) Please do PM me the apps Daytob, would really appreciate that! Thanks :)

sending now

Actually, how about the S5? Can be picked up for around the €400 or less mark now, and is still a fantastic phone, durable and waterproof too. USB 3 connections too, for very fast file transfers.

Double the benchmark score compared to the A5 as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzLxEDF9kF4

Unfortunately, Samsung underpowered the A5 with a Snapdragon 410 chip. The S5 has a far superior 801 chip.

A5 has a better design, but at the end of the day - performance is what matters to me. Keep in mind both devices cost around the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Actually, how about the S5? Can be picked up for around the €400 or less mark now,

Where can you get an s5 for 400?

TBi wrote: »
    Where can you get an s5 for 400?

Pixmania had them a day or two ago at 374 brand new. You can also get them for under 400 on Adverts or Donedeal, and also eBay.

Thanks everyone, settled on the one plus one.

My bf has an S5 and said its not worth the price its going for.

Pixmania had them a day or two ago at 374 brand new. You can also get them for under 400 on Adverts or Donedeal, and also eBay.

Pixmania was a once off. No one has received there phones yet. Anything on adverts worked be second hand. You can't compare the new price of the a5 to the second hand price of the s5

Around the €400 mark is the going rate for an S5 new.

In fact, Pixmania france still stock them http://www.pixmania.fr/smartphone/samsung-galaxy-s5-noir-smartphone/22082447-a.html#description

The recent reviews on leprixspecial isnt that good. which is on the pixmania site for around 400

daytob wrote: »
    The recent reviews on leprixspecial isnt that good. which is on the pixmania site for around 400

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-SM-G900F-white-16GB-Smartphone-16MP-Kamera-Touchscreen-LTE-4G-/141593140026?pt=DE_Handy_s&hash=item20f79bdb3a

415.00 shipped, brand new. Look at their feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

For what it's worth,(I've not used the 1+1) I would have the LG G2 above all the other phones you mentioned.

They sell the 901f too (s5 plus). Shame that it isn't supported that much.

http://m.ebay.de/itm/191347669041?_mwBanner=1

Snapdragon 805 and adreno 420. Much faster than the original.

They sell the 901f too (s5 plus). Shame that it isn't supported that much.

http://m.ebay.de/itm/191347669041?_mwBanner=1

Snapdragon 805 and adreno 420. Much faster than the original.

Interesting. Not seeing a black variant though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 keysersoze1

I'm looking to get a new phone as soon as possible. Have a few in mind but really not sure which one to go for, himself is trying to persuade me to get the oneplus one I'm struggling to decide.

The phones I have in mind are

One Plus One
    LG G2
    Samsung Galaxy A3
    Samsung Galaxy A5
    Sony Xperia T3
    HTC Desire Eye
    Sony Xperia Z1 / Sony Xperia Z1S

Would really appreciate any help/opinions etc. as I'm struggling to decide which one to get.

Any one have the htc..how ye find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

I picked up an LG G2 from Amazon Warehouse deals last week for €195, scruffy box but phone still had all original protectors on and had never been used. Upgraded from a Nexus 5, much prefer this. Keep an eye on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting thread.

I have a Nexus 4 2012, and while the phone has served me well, and still is, thought I might treat myself next month.

Was going to just go with the latest Nexus model, but this 1+1 craic has peaked my interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Do not get the Xperia Z1. Trust me. A Z3c would be good if it's within your budget, but other than that a 1+1 would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Sorry for bumping an old tread but would apprecite some advice. Thinking of getting a galaxy a5 for around eu280 or the s5 eu380. Which would be the best value from these? Also looking at an xperia z2 for around eu350. Any advice on which would be the best value or the major differences in them or any other suggestions for under the 400 mark? Thank in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Kolido wrote: »

In before anyone else who says the One plus One approx €350 and good bang for your buck

What gb is that 1p1 though as I read it has no sd slot also 5.5in screen sounds quite big. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Kolido wrote:

I'm currently researching them for someone(who does not want a phone bigger than 5 inches) and my recommendation was one from:
      - Motorola Moto X (2014),
      - Samsung Galaxy A5
      - Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
    and
      - Huawei P8

Criteria I used was:
    Price, Battery size, Camera, Internal memory size, RAM, screen resolution, screen sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 razzala

Anyone have the M8s, available free on on Vodafone with 24 month €35 per month contract.

Only downside on the spec that I see is the processor but should still be good enough according to the reviews I've seen.

Thanks!!

What do you get for the €35