Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm OK with St Patty's Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Anyone got plans for St Patty's Day?

I'll be eating corned beef & cabbage and pinching people not wearing green in adherence with the ancient traditions of St Patty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

America did this because they want a celebration for Patty cakes where they can eat them all day long (because they're fat).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm going to the St pattys celebrations today. It is slightly annoying but the way they pronounce it sounds like paddy so it's not too bad. I'll make sure my daughter knows it's paddy though!

It's more fun here anyway in my experience, more stuff to do for the kids and less drunken eejits. I'd imagine it's even better in the bigger cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

surpy wrote: »
    I think we all should accept it as the new name for the holiday and move on.

Yep. And I've no problem with piercing your nipples, and then exiling you to the most magnetic mountain in the world. You can have your St. PaTTys day over there every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

newmug wrote: »
    I've no problem with piercing your nipples.

You would pierce my nipples? I'm not sure what replies I would get posting this but that definitely wasn't expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

Just paddys day

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mad muffin wrote: »
    Exactly.

Patty is short for Patricia. Paddy is short for Padrick.

And Pat is short for both

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

Vandango wrote: »
    No, I think everyone excepts it's time for you to leave.

Ha straight to the point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

God that irritates me so much. All I can think of is Patty and Selma whenever anyone says it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What's the polish version of st Patricks day and surely it should be celebrated hereo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Depraved wrote: »
    Should get rid of all these religious holidays completely and just replace them with beer days. Every 2 months, a Friday and the following Monday should be public 'get pissed' holidays.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't know whats worse patty or international green day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think we all should accept it as the new name for the holiday and move on.
    Why don't the Americans just call it Flattened Piece-Of-Meat Day?

Why don't the Americans just call it Flattened Piece-Of-Meat Day?

Doesn't really roll off the tongue i suppose.
    Maybe in a few years when we've forgotten the origin of Patty's day it could catch on

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

It annoys be to be honest but it's St Patty's combined with the four leaf clover on their face while they argue that they are correct that annoys me more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

They can change Flag Day to Fleg Day, flegs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

It ain't Paddy's day either. St Patrick's Day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

To our ears an American saying Paddy or Patty sounds the same.

Watch an episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

They're actually saying 'Paddy' on IASiP, their pub is named 'Paddy's Pub', if they were saying Patty you'd probably notice the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Should get rid of all these religious holidays completely and just replace them with beer days. Every 2 months, a Friday and the following Monday should be public 'get pissed' holidays.

Just read on RTE news that 2 LGBT groups are being allowed to take part in Boston's parade.

Sigh...

Sorry can't link to news story because boards.ie still doesn't trust me enough.

Just read on RTE news that 2 LGBT groups are being allowed to take part in Boston's parade.

Sigh...

Sorry can't link to news story because boards.ie still doesn't trust me enough.

What do you mean "sigh"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

What do you mean "sigh"

Hijacking another public holiday to advertise their agenda (I'm absolutely fine with their agenda). St Patrick's Day has nothing to do with LGBT rights and they are wrong to try hijack it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd be more of the opinion of why would they want to associate with a holiday celebrating the spreading of a religion that's actively against their orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

I'm not even excited for this holiday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hijacking another public holiday to advertise their agenda (I'm absolutely fine with their agenda). St Patrick's Day has nothing to do with LGBT rights and they are wrong to try hijack it.

Not sure what Pat the Bakers agenda is or what their association with St Patrick is but they dominate the Longford parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

"Paddy's Day" is just as much of an obscenity as "Patty's Day."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

"Paddy's Day" is just as much of an obscenity as "Patty's Day."

I'd give up the fight to be honest, after all, when was the last time St. Patrick actually featured as a theme for the parade or was any significant part of it? Sure you might as well call it what it is, 'Tourism Ireland Corporate Promotion Day'.
    This years themefor the Dublin parade is 'Celebrate Now', what's that even mean? Celebrate now! as opposed to when?

Wow, light hearted thread about a misspelling and the homophobes have to get their word in.

Let it go lads

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The amalgamation of the feastdays of St. Patricius and Sr. Patty MacDonald, the patron saint of hamburgers, was always going to be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Irish are worse, it's more commonly called Paddys day here. At least the Americans have the respect to include 'Saint' in the title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Advertisement