Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy offers of 'swaps' on Adverts

Options
  • 14-03-2015 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Any other users of adverts I'm sure will agree with me.. just browsing the phones section and look what I find: http://www.adverts.ie/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5/7556826#comments

This guy wants to swap a tattooing kit for this sellers S5 :rolleyes:

Any other crazy swaps you've seen or found on your ads? :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I'll swap ya half a mars bar and two sticks of chewing gum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I'll swap ya half a mars bar and two sticks of chewing gum?

Depends.. what brand of chewing gum? are they in mint condition? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Samsung Galaxay S5 for sale. Unlocked, perfect condition. €380

Swap for Sega Megadrive and a pair of size 8 soccer boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Cash only....

Swap for a digestive?

Cash only...

Swap for a fifa09 empty case?

Cash only...

Swap for text's and test 1993 edition?

**** this, I'm off to donedeal.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Depends.. what brand of chewing gum? are they in mint condition? :D

PK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The good old days of barter are back with us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Mint Aero for sale €100

€10 offered mate

Oh ok sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I was offered, quite literally, a half taken apart, old bmw. No thanks.

Car for sale, 1000 quid.
    "200 for the wheels"

**** off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you expressly put cash only on your advert, and people still offer dumb swaps, they should be banned from the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I was offered, quite literally, a half taken apart, old bmw. No thanks.

Car for sale, 1000 quid.
    "200 for the wheels"

**** off :rolleyes:

In fairness to the chap, the wheels were the only decent thing on it..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

In fairness to the chap, the wheels were the only decent thing on it..:D

I'm well aware of that, that's why they need to stay on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Not a swap but worth mentioning the guy the was selling the Tayto chocolate bars when they first came out for around a tenner a bar.
    10 euro for something that smelt like a sweaty sock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Ah, Swap Shop, them were the days:

Two action men for a selection of games:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Is the seller in Mountjoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wish there was an option to only offer cash. Like no questions for bull**** swaps, just cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The sold ads still active are far more annoying than lads offering swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Adverts has really gone downhill in the last year or two :(

- Cash only = swap you some shyte I can't get rid of
    - Price is x = What's your lowest price, or offers of 50% less
    - Collection/post only = Can you meet me an hour away?

The ONLY advantage it has IMO is that you don't have to deal with calls from timewasters but that's about all. If you actually want to sell something at a fair price I dunno.. ebay maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I know a lad who was offered a horse for his mk5 GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Adverts is a joke at this stage, there were promises of improvements being made in the past. They expect their customers to screen the ad's for them. It's still rife with off thread dealing and invalid asking prices to avoid paying success fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The sold ads still active are far more annoying than lads offering swaps.

Well, they know if they mark them as sold, they will have to pay the success fee.

I've sold close to two hundred items and the offer of swaps has never bothered me, in fact I welcome them often as they bump the ads.

Far more annoying for me are people that list their items in better condition than they actually are. Recently spent over 90 minutes on the Luas out and back to view a S4 Mini that was in bits (it's still listed). Cracked on the edge, screen looks water damaged in the top right corner and pain peeling down the sides. None of which can be seen in the ad's photos (if even the same phone).

Also find the twats annoying that will list a phone for €150 and when you offer them €80 and explain that the offer is based on them now being down to €99 in most places and they come back saying they don't care what they cost now, as six months ago they paid €175 and so they want close to that. S3 Mini is a perfect example of that right now actually.

I think Adverts gets a lot of people listing stuff that don't really want to sell either. Not sure if it's a stroke of the ego for them or they are just bored and want something to do. Some of the new rules have helped though. Not allowing retaliatory negative feedback for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Adverts has gone down the toilet over the last couple of years. They want all the benefits of a site like eBay in terms of making money but offer none of the protections at all.

I did manage to convince someone to swap their Buddha Bag for a PS3 a couple of years back mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

The feedback thing is a pain in the hole. People only seem to leave buyers negative feedback, but don't bother if the sale is all grand. As a result, I have one negative because the seller got the wrong day. Bastards.

Any ways, in another forum about Adverts, someone mentioned selling their fancy camera with extra lenses and what not, and someone asked to swap for the exact same camera, minus all the extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was just looking at bikes.
    A guy wanting to swap for another bike and someone else selling 4 at the same time with a history of selling bikes.

No legitimate private seller has that many bikes for sale.
    I managed to track down where the photos were taken from on Google maps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

Ha some mad swaps never seen them before

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

Didnt even know you could swap on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

There is a dedicated swap section, but most people plague the selling part with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Im not leaving feed back any more as the last 3 buyers I have dealt with either don't know or couldn't be arsed to leave feedback after I going to the bother of giving them their first positive feedback and all sales were good,also as mentioned earlier, the amount of ads still up to prevent paying the selling fee is a joke and as for the lowballers? I had a tv I was getting rid of 2 years ago and put it up for 50e just to get rid of it,setteled for 20 euro with a guy and on the day he was to collect it he had the cheek to ring and ask me could I help him with the petrol money as he was coming form carrigaline to midleton,i told him where to go,he rings back and says ok,i will call down so,and I told him to fcuk off,then you have the spoilers,ghoulbags telling you they can get a similar product for such a price and refusing to put up a link to prove it and slithering back from whence they came, rannnnnnnnnt over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was selling my old phone there last year on adverts got offered a weed growing kit with basically everything you need to grow your own stuff and he was going to trow in seeds as well for it LoL.

Also been offered a Mountain Bike as well before for my phone.

Then before i was also selling a old phone of mine got offered a samurai sword kit for it :confused:

Also you can never fail with i met you in Dublin to swap when i am clearly in waterford a good 2 and 1/2 hours away and there reply is sorry i didn't see where you whare ...

I used to sell a lot more games on adverts but i moved away from it to CEX where i might get a 3 or 4 euros less a game but i don't have to deal with people on adverts LoL.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I get the impression a lot of the swappers are 16 year olds in their bedroom. I just ignore them, drives them mad.

Despite some of the hassles of Adverts I still perfer it to Donedeal which seems to have gone downhill for items worth less than €50. I usually search both but Adverts might have 30+ ads for what you're looking for while Donedeal will have 4 or 5 for the same search. Also a lot of prices set on Donedeal are unrealistic but you'd have to ring them up to try to get that point across. I couldn't be bothered with that, at least on Adverts you can just offer what you believe its worth and see if the seller bites.

As for lowballers, I don't have that problem as I set a minimum offer whick then filters those people out from annoying me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I don't mind people asking for swaps, sometimes I've done well out of it.

I have asked for swaps before and it's either no , yes and good swap or someone taking the pee, say their item's selling price is €20 and they look to swap for something I have worth €60.

I would never ask if ad says No swaps or cash only

Advertisement