Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boko Haram pledge allegiance to ISIS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Nodin wrote: »
    .....what do you think would happen if they started a campaign in Saudi....?

I have no idea. I have a feeling there's an expected answer to this that I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I have no idea. I have a feeling there's an expected answer to this that I don't know.

Fear that they'd attack the refineries and oil related infrastructure would cause prices to rise rapidly, even more so if they actually did. Should they get a foothold on the gulf and attrack shipping - even in an ineffective way - this would again push the price up. For that reason alone, its in no-one's interest they be allowed run round the place unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The Saudi government would tear up any books on human rights and destroy them. The Americans would rapidly move in from Qatar to protect the oil fields. The Irish would ask the Saudi's to be nice to any dual nationals that they might capture !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Why on Earth would they start a campaign in the lands of their largest financial supplier?

Oh, and to answer your question: The U.S. would probably bomb them to pieces, and let the Saudis do the fighting. They might as well put all those Leopard 2s to good use.

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is you want. You argue for the West staying out of Arab affairs (backing Israel for one), and now you're arguing that the West should get involved because they'd do if it was Saudi Arabia being attacked.

Do you just think the world runs on sunshine and rainbows, that the West should take a paradoxical stance?

Fear that they'd attack the refineries and oil related infrastructure would cause prices to rise rapidly, even more so if they actually did. Should they get a foothold on the gulf and attrack shipping - even in an ineffective way - this would again push the price up. For that reason alone, its in no-one's interest they be allowed run round the place unchecked.

No it wouldn't. Oil prices would only rise if supply couldn't meet demand. Right now, supply outruns demand, and ISIS doesn't just take over oil rigs and then do nothing. They drill for oil sands and sell the oil on. Supply might dip, but it won't drop below demand to cause a price increase.

If they tried to get a foothold in the Gulf, they'd have an entire U.S. carrier group blowing them to pieces, with Saudis (who aren't going to drop their guns and run off to leave a different sect to ISIS' whims, a la Iraqi Army).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

I think we'd DEFINITELY see the Americans getting involved then. Oil? Out of the way, here comes Uncle Sam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

They should pop a schnakey bounty onto any ISIS /Boko Haram Members head, somthing juicy, say $40,000.00 - bosh in a bit of multi-lateral funding and make pay-outs fairly relaxed, no questions asked. Then, declare it open season, stand back and let the headcases bang ahead. Suddenly being a member wouldn't be as cool and relaxed as before, everyone would be after your a55is. Being in ISIS would be like being a squirrel in Alabama just before dinner time.

They should pop a schnakey bounty onto any ISIS /Boko Haram Members head, somthing juicy, say $40,000.00 - bosh in a bit of multi-lateral funding and make pay-outs fairly relaxed, no questions asked. Then, declare it open season, stand back and let the headcases bang ahead. Suddenly being a member wouldn't be as cool and relaxed as before, everyone would be after your a55is. Being in ISIS would be like being a squirrel in Alabama just before dinner time.

45,000-75, members. $50,000 a head is $225 million to $375 million. That's more than it'd cost to bomb them and let the Kurds mop up, and you'd probably end up with people killing random people and claiming they were in ISIS or Boko Haram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

45,000-75, members. $50,000 a head is $225 million to $375 million. That's more than it'd cost to bomb them and let the Kurds mop up, and you'd probably end up with people killing random people and claiming they were in ISIS or Boko Haram.

Sounds like a bargain.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Yes, you are.

How is this religious caliphate going to live harmoniously with Putin's global soviet empire 2.0, when religion is the opium of the masses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Some people just love more rules> Oh, it's not strict enough, lets get more rules. :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Nope,if we Corkonians cant get our Republic these IS boys havent a chance

That's because if a Caaaaaark girl snagged a dub a ye Gurran tills had a problem with it, she'd stone ye to death, haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I wonder would they have any jobs going?

I'm a head chef.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

bjork wrote: »
    I wonder would they have any jobs going?

I'm a head chef.....:pac:

If the yanks went in to clean Boko Haram out and you has as much as a bottle of cooking oil, the loony left would say that was the reason they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

reprise wrote: »
    If the yanks went in to clean Boko Haram out and you has as much as a bottle of cooking oil, the loony left would say that was the reason they were there.

Big Bad Vlad

Is going to get them

Not !!!!

No it wouldn't. Oil prices would only rise if supply couldn't meet demand. ............

You aren't too aware how oil prices work, I see.
    Why on Earth would they start a campaign in the lands of their largest financial
    supplier?

The Saudi state does not finance IS.
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is you want

Well, reading my post in the context of the post it was replying too would help you greatly. Less coffee and dollops of rage would not go astray either.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Just like North and South Korea , lead by a Cork version of Kim Jong-un.

Jim Lang-er

But some of the Saudi people do, pretty much the same as Irish Americans with NORAID. Although i have to admit that the Saudi government has enacted a lot of financial controls to stop the collection and distribution of that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

smurfjed wrote: »
    The Saudi government would tear up any books on human rights and destroy them. The Americans would rapidly move in from Qatar to protect the oil fields. The Irish would ask the Saudi's to be nice to any dual nationals that they might capture !

I don't think the Saudi government has any books on human rights.

Not only books but an official organisation....

http://nshr.org.sa

• Advertisement

You aren't too aware how oil prices work, I see.

When supply outstrips demand, price goes up. When supply is larger than demand, price goes down. When supply and demand are in equilibrium, price remains unchanged.

No, but people with ties to the Saud-family does.
    Well, reading my post in the context of the post it was replying too would help you greatly. Less coffee and dollops of rage would not go astray either.

"u mad?" Please stop. You argue against Western intervention and think Israel should butt out of Arab affairs, you argue for Western intervention in Arab affairs now. Pick an opinion and stick with it, populist.

When supply outstrips demand, price goes up. When supply is larger than demand, price goes down. When supply and demand are in equilibrium, price remains unchanged. ..

*sigh

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2014/wp14218.pdf
    No, but people with ties to the Saud-family does..

Given the size of the royal Saudi family, that's hardly a suprising, nor does it mean the Saudi state is involved.

"u mad?" Please stop. You argue against Western intervention and think Israel should butt out of Arab affairs, you argue for Western intervention in Arab affairs now. Pick an opinion and stick with it, populist.

A false dichotomy. You seem to think opposition to colonialism conflicts with opposition to an extremist groups multi-nation rampage.

And the reason it is volatile, is because a handful of places produce the most oil, so when supply looks likely to drop below demand, price goes up.

If "expected" supply of oil drops, but supply still outstrips demand, price will fall. This is what happened when the Saudis reduced their oil production, but price remained low and they lost market share (which is why they oppose OPEC reducing production).
    Given the size of the royal Saudi family, that's hardly a suprising, nor does it mean the Saudi state is involved.

The fact Saudi Arabia is wahhabi, doesn't factor into your equation? Saudi Arabia, much like Turkey under Erdogan, supports ISIS.
    A false dichotomy. You seem to think opposition to colonialism conflicts with opposition to an extremist groups multi-nation rampage.

So, when the West does it, it's colonialism. When fifty thousand Muslims do it, armed and aided by Muslim Governments (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, notably, Iran if you include the Shia militias) it's multi-national rampage? When the West does it, it's out of greed and we shouldn't get involved. When the Muslims do it, it's extremism and we should get involved?

And the reason it is volatile, is because a handful of places produce the most oil, so when supply looks likely to drop below demand, price goes up..

Yep, otherwise known as S P E C U L A T I O N.

The fact Saudi Arabia is wahhabi, doesn't factor into your equation? Saudi Arabia, much like Turkey under Erdogan, supports ISIS.

IS follow a far harsher ideology than wahabism.

So, when the West does it, it's colonialism. When fifty thousand Muslims do it, armed and aided by Muslim Governments (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, notably, Iran if you include the Shia militias) it's multi-national rampage? When the West does it, it's out of greed and we shouldn't get involved. When the Muslims do it, it's extremism and we should get involved?

No idea what you're on about there.

Yep, otherwise known as S P E C U L A T I O N.

The link you posted stated that speculative demand only has a minor effect on volatility, one which we should ignore in the short term.

IS follow a far harsher ideology than wahabism.

Yea, beheading people for being apart of the wrong religion is much harsher than beheading someone for cheating in a relationship.

The Saudis have beheadings, you know that, right?
    No idea what you're on about there.

Of course not.

Yea, beheading people for being apart of the wrong religion is much harsher than beheading someone for cheating in a relationship.

The Saudis have beheadings, you know that, right?.

The French used have beheading. They must have been Wahabis of the same stripe too.

The French used have beheading. They must have been Wahabis of the same stripe too.

Yea, as their method of the death penalty. Using the guillotine on someone for murdering another person, isn't in the same league as murdering someone for infidelity, or murdering someone for being born into the wrong religion.

Talk about a false equivalency.

Yea, as their method of the death penalty. Using the guillotine on someone for murdering another person, isn't in the same league as murdering someone for infidelity, or murdering someone for being born into the wrong religion.

Talk about a false equivalency.

Not great at detecting nuance, humour or the like, are we?

Not great at detecting nuance, humour or the like, are we?

No, your joke just sucked, and sounded exactly like an answer you would usually give. Unless you're saying your entire opinion is a joke, which I'd agree with.

So, now that we've gotten past the semantics, can you give me an honest answer as to what your actual stance is? You're both against and in favour of Western intervention?

It seems like you're using a double standard and set on holding the West accountable for everything.

• Advertisement

No, your joke just sucked, and sounded exactly like an answer you would usually give. Unless you're saying your entire opinion is a joke, which I'd agree with.

So, now that we've gotten past the semantics, can you give me an honest answer as to what your actual stance is? You're both against and in favour of Western intervention?

It seems like you're using a double standard and set on holding the West accountable for everything.

It's hard to know whether to laugh or cry at this........

Bottom of post 53 explains it. If theres anything there you don't understand, ask.

Advertisement