Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boko Haram pledge allegiance to ISIS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Nope,if we Corkonians cant get our Republic these IS boys havent a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cork is a lot more complicated than the ME in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

Possibly in Nigeria. Nobody in the west gives a **** about the Nigerians. Even their own govenment don't care as long as their Swiss bank accounts are safe. They are enslaving schoolkids and murdering whole communities with impunity. If they can get away with that while the west turns a blind eye who knows what might happen. However, the Americans have too many interests in the Middle East to let it happen over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Wait until Kerry pledges allegiance to us, then we'll get our Republic

Rabbo wrote: »

Tipperary says NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Somebody will get hurt or even worse, lose an eye, with all this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Rabbo wrote: »

west cork would immediately split

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just like North and South Korea , lead by a Cork version of Kim Jong-un.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Second from the left, where'd you get those shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

And would turn into a coastal tax haven like Monaco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Did they not make enough money from the sales of their single A Whiter Shade Of Pale?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Am I the only one that thinks ISIS might just pull off this caliphate of theirs?

Yes.

Oh and it's better to call them by their real name - Daesh. This is what the Arabic speaking world calls them. Daesh generally means scumbags, blasphemers, bigots and oppressors. So don't grant legitimacy, by calling them by their own self-appointed delusionary name ISIS or IS. Call them by the proper title, the all encapsulating title that defines their psychotic evilness - Daesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Yes.

Oh and it's better to call them by their real name - Daesh. This is what the Arabic speaking world calls them. Daesh generally means scumbags, blasphemers, bigots and oppressors. So don't grant legitimacy, by calling them by their own self-appointed delusionary name ISIS or IS. Call them by the proper title, the all encapsulating title that defines their psychotic evilness - Daesh.

"Real name". What?

Their name is the Islamic State. Boko Haram, Al Qaeda in Yemen, the Taliban in Afghanistan, Ansar al-Sharia, Ansar Bait al-Maqdis.. They all exhibit similar goals, ambitions, thought processes and willingness to commit atrocities.

Surely we should refer to all of those groups as Daesh, right? But that wouldn't work because they have different hierarchies and members. They call themselves the Islamic State, so that is what I'll call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That's a shame, I really liked "A whiter shade of pale".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Yes.

I see where you're coming from, but when you think about it, ISIS is correct.

Even though they are not, as of yet, an official state - there is no question in my mind that they really are "Islamic".

Most Muslims deplore their actions in the same way most Christians would deplore slavery. This psychotic behaviour is mandated by both the Qur'an and the Bible - all one needs to have is a predisposition to violence and a political excuse, that is to say, complaining about US foreign policy.

ISIS are more Islamic than most Muslims are.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Yes you are the only one.

A couple of thousand nigerian scumbags added to the mix will just make their grave all the larger when they're eradicated.

They haven't become enough of an annoyance to the Western world just yet, but when they do, they'll be stomped out like the cancer they are.

Drakares wrote: »
    Yes you are the only one.

A couple of thousand nigerian scumbags added to the mix will just make their grave all the larger when they're eradicated.

They haven't become enough of an annoyance to the Western world just yet, but when they do, they'll be stomped out like the cancer they are.

Closer to ten thousand by popular estimates.

Good luck trying to eradicate them, though. A decade of war in Iraq showed us that snuffing out insurgencies isn't as easy as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

I have yet to see evidence to convince me that Boko Haram, at heart, are much more than a warring ethnic group wearing religious clothes.

http://news.usni.org/2015/02/11/essay-boko-harams-campaign-ethnic-cleansing

In Nigeria, it is often said all politics are ethnic politics. So, for researchers to overlook the ethnic aspects of the insurgency—the ethnic identities of Boko Haram’s victims and the reasons they have been targeted—is an extraordinary lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

A decade of war in Iraq showed us that snuffing out insurgencies isn't as easy as it sounds.

I'm kind of more inclined to think that it showed us how profitable war is. It's in the interests of war profiteers to keep wars going as long as possible. With the technology that's available now, and especially the manpower available if the various governments REALLY wanted to wipe out ISIS, the only apparent reason it hasn't been done yet must be because of a decision not to do so.

'm kind of more inclined to think that it showed us how profitable war is. It's in the interests of war profiteers to keep wars going as long as possible. With the technology that's available now, and especially the manpower available if the various governments REALLY wanted to wipe out ISIS, the only apparent reason it hasn't been done yet must be because of a decision not to do so.

Everything is profitable to someone. War is no different.

Probably because trying to stomp out insurgencies requires the use of force, which will invariably cause civilian casualties. When civilians die, more people join the extremist groups.

Like I said, you're overestimating how easy it is to defeat an insurgency.

Like I said, you're overestimating how easy it is to defeat an insurgency.

I don't think it's easy at all. I just can't help thinking that it can't be as impossible as we're led to believe. Put it like this, I think if the Americans wanted to wipe out ISIS, they could do it. Not easily, but it could be done.

I don't think it's easy at all. I just can't help thinking that it can't be as impossible as we're led to believe. Put it like this, I think if the Americans wanted to wipe out ISIS, they could do it. Not easily, but it could be done.

If they have public support for such measures, they could degrade them but unlikely to ever fully stamp out, sure. But they don't. So they won't.

The current fighting is between Shia militias, Sunni militias (ISIS in this regard), and the Peshmerga. If the U.S. goes in, the Shia will end up trying to kill them again (like they did when the U.S. was there).

It's not in U.S., or European for that matter, interest to get involved with ground troops. Yes, we should bomb them from the air, but Rumsfeld Doctrine still dictates you have to have troops on the ground.

It may seem callous, but Western life holds more weight with me than a Middle Eastern or African life. Call me a bigot, but it's simple fact. Most people only care about their group, and don't care about the other side all that much. It's why NATO didn't bomb continuously in the Bosnian war. They didn't want to risk a single Western life to save a hundred Bosnian lives. It's simple pragmatism: "Us vs them".

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

I think Enda will pledge Ireland's allegiance to ISIS if they promise to create a few hundered jobs setting up the Caliphate call centre in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

towelly wrote: »
    I think Enda will pledge Ireland's allegiance to ISIS if they promise to create a few hundered jobs setting up the Caliphate call centre in Dublin.

And their sister franchise, Heads R' Us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I think its out sense of moral conscience/vanity that has been the only reason ISIS or Boko Haram haven't been quashed at this point. The truth of the matter is full out war almost always clears the air as horrible as that sounds, it's a psychological you were bet and everybody has seen it.

Say what you will about the Dark Ages but little lunatic uprisings like this would be put down without impunity and shown for what they are, i.e. we don't stand your quite obvious bull****, don't do that again

This is one of the problems with diplomacy and why nothing seems to get done until they're banging down the door or people are dying in their thousands at which point it is too late. We have to be touchy feeley with ****ers who will never be touchy feeley and have no intention of being.

If they have public support for such measures, they could degrade them but unlikely to ever fully stamp out, sure. But they don't. So they won't.

The current fighting is between Shia militias, Sunni militias (ISIS in this regard), and the Peshmerga. If the U.S. goes in, the Shia will end up trying to kill them again (like they did when the U.S. was there).

It's not in U.S., or European for that matter, interest to get involved with ground troops. Yes, we should bomb them from the air, but Rumsfeld Doctrine still dictates you have to have troops on the ground.

It may seem callous, but Western life holds more weight with me than a Middle Eastern or African life. Call me a bigot, but it's simple fact. Most people only care about their group, and don't care about the other side all that much. It's why NATO didn't bomb continuously in the Bosnian war. They didn't want to risk a single Western life to save a hundred Bosnian lives. It's simple pragmatism: "Us vs them".

Call me callous too but I'd rather they were over there killing each other than over here killing us. I guess as long as they're only in the Middle East there's no real need for anyone else to go weighing in against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Call me callous too but I'd rather they were over there killing each other than over here killing us. I guess as long as they're only in the Middle East there's no real need for anyone else to go weighing in against them.

.....what do you think would happen if they started a campaign in Saudi....?

Advertisement