Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Social Work Masters

Options
  • 13-03-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anybody any info on timetable in UCD, is it possible to commute? Also anybody starting the Social Work Masters in UCD in Sept 2015? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lea11

I think it's pretty much fulltime Mon - Fri. I didn't get accepted to UCD :( I knew I hadn't spoke a few times over someone. I'm on the waiting list for Trinity. Did u apply there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Niamh1992

Hey Lea, no i didnt have the hours for Trinity so didnt get an interview, im actually in Trinity at the moment in my final year. But looking at past post on here apparently Trinity only have 10 people on the waiting list so you have a high chance of getting in :)! I just accepted UCD there so i guess thats where ill be in September, really didnt think i would get an offer this year at all! how did you find the interview? :)

Oh deadly fair play to you. Am ya the interview was fine but as I said I spoke over someone a few times out of pure nerves. ya I'm not holding my breath on the list because I dunno where I am but I've emailed them to see. Ah a change will be nice for you ;)

lea11 wrote: »
    Oh deadly fair play to you. Am ya the interview was fine but as I said I spoke over someone a few times out of pure nerves. ya I'm not holding my breath on the list because I dunno where I am but I've emailed them to see. Ah a change will be nice for you ;)

Ye I was so nervous during the interview and everyone was really good so made me more nervous! I heard trinity were more concerned about personal qualities than the theory of social work! Hopefully you will get in though you will know soon enough because I had to accept UCD within two weeks so I'm sure Trinity is the same and then waiting list will be contacted! Where did you do your undergrad

Trinity is the 3rd of April so they must get 3 weeks to accept, I wonder do many decline? I'm so eager to know. I done social care in Athlone. Is your undergrad in Social Work? I'm thinking of also applying to do the MA in ABA in TCD if there is no luck with Te waiting list

• Advertisement

Trinity is the 3rd of April so they must get 3 weeks to accept, I wonder do many decline? I'm so eager to know. I done social care in Athlone. Is your undergrad in Social Work? I'm thinking of also applying to do the MA in ABA in TCD if there is no luck with Te waiting list

Ye I have to accept by 27th March or my place goes! Eh no I'm doing Sociology and Social Policy but it's in the school of Social Work and Social Policy so I would do a lot of modules with the undergrad Social workers! Ye so expensive to do the masters though :/ if you don't get in this year you could reapply next year anyway I have heard England is really good for Social Work Masters too

England's not an option for me as I have a 6 year old. However, I've woke up extremely enthusiastic today about either course and the one that's meant to be will be. Are u excited Hun?

England's not an option for me as I have a 6 year old. However, I've woke up extremely enthusiastic today about either course and the one that's meant to be will be. Are u excited Hun?

Oh Ye I didn't even apply to UCC or NUIG so I'm delighted got UCD as its the only one I had an interview in! Ye I can't wait now but going to be an expensive two years but will be worth it in the end :)

ah great stuff fair play. It will absolutely definitely be worth it. I got interviews for UCC and NUIG aswell but I didn't go because would of been too far. I hope Trinity reply tomorrow so I know where I am with the list & I can make plans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭descheness

I'm not sure if your program will be anything like mine, but my masters program at UCD is only 1-2 days of class. However, mine is also research based so that might be where ours differ!

• Advertisement

descheness wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your program will be anything like mine, but my masters program at UCD is only 1-2 days of class. However, mine is also research based so that might be where ours differ!

Hey, Ye it is different because Social Work is full time 9-5 most days and then 14 week placements each year and they expect 80% attendance and then write your thesis over the summer between the two years! Going to be a very busy two years but I'm looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cat1231

Hey,

Cat1231 wrote: »
    Hey,

Hey Cat1231, are you also starting in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fatedtopretend

Niamh1992 wrote: »
    Anybody any info on timetable in UCD, is it possible to commute? Also anybody starting the Social Work Masters in UCD in Sept 2015? :)

Hi OP.
    I'm just coming to the end of a long two years on the course and thought I could offer some insight. Lots of people commute from Waterford/Wexford and Carlow. The course is strict in terms of attendance and punctuality but once you have a routine each day you will manage.
    In terms of the timetable it is very full on. I know when I was in first year we did 5 days per week, 9-5 with an hour lunch. The good news for you is, that the current first years appear to have one day off per week which is a Wednesday I think. There seems to be more flexibility which is needed as the course is really intense.

You should get your timetable in late July or early August. Congratulations on your place on the Masters and enjoy your last few months of freedom, it really will fly in!

Hi OP.
    I'm just coming to the end of a long two years on the course and thought I could offer some insight. Lots of people commute from Waterford/Wexford and Carlow. The course is strict in terms of attendance and punctuality but once you have a routine each day you will manage.
    In terms of the timetable it is very full on. I know when I was in first year we did 5 days per week, 9-5 with an hour lunch. The good news for you is, that the current first years appear to have one day off per week which is a Wednesday I think. There seems to be more flexibility which is needed as the course is really intense.

You should get your timetable in late July or early August. Congratulations on your place on the Masters and enjoy your last few months of freedom, it really will fly in!

Thanks a million for this, I'm living I'm North Meath and trying to decide if I cN travel up and down every day! Also they never said in the offer letter what grade I have to get in my degree, do you know? Wish I could relax lol currently writing my thesis and preparing for finals

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fatedtopretend

Niamh1992 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this, I'm living I'm North Meath and trying to decide if I cN travel up and down every day! Also they never said in the offer letter what grade I have to get in my degree, do you know? Wish I could relax lol currently writing my thesis and preparing for finals

No problem at all. I'd say you should manage it enough, you'll soon figure out a route to take. As far as I know, you need to have a minimum of a 2.2 in your degree. So it's second class hours grade two. I think UCD often admit students who do not meet this who may satisty other criteria. It may have changed so it might be worth looking up the UCD website to double check. You're almost there now, best of luck with your finals and thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cathy1985

Hey Niamh, I'm not attending CUD but I am commencing Trinity this year. I'm excited/nervous also. Are you planning on working parttime aswell? Wonder is it possible

Cathy1985 wrote: »
    Hey Niamh, I'm not attending CUD but I am commencing Trinity this year. I'm excited/nervous also. Are you planning on working parttime aswell? Wonder is it possible

Hey Cathy..Ye ik quite excited too but starting my finals of my degree tomorrow so kind of nervous about that lol! I've heard it's not possible to work part-time due to the heavy workload but it probably depends how far away you live from trinity too :)

Oh best of luck, don't fret that will get you in a tizzy, I was in same boat last year. Yea well I work in mainstream residential services and do 24hour sleepovers so I hope to be able to do a shift every Friday, so unsure if I'll be able, Any advice is appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Roberta88

Cathy1985 wrote: »
    Oh best of luck, don't fret that will get you in a tizzy, I was in same boat last year. Yea well I work in mainstream residential services and do 24hour sleepovers so I hope to be able to do a shift every Friday, so unsure if I'll be able, Any advice is appreciated :)

Hi I just finished up the masters in ucd, I found it manageable if your organised enough to work in first year and save and decided to take 2nd year off to concentrate on the thesis and placement...it can be hard but I found it manageable.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hansg93

Hi ☺
    Wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what was asked for the interview? I know it was last year but just to get an idea of what I need to know? I just got my interview date so I'm beginning to get nervous! Seems to me like its a lot around the theory?

Hey. Oh I remember being in your position this time last year. I'm not in UCD, I'm in Trinity Masters but I done both Interviews. Feel free to PM if you like and I'll answer anything I can for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neola

hansg93 I have my interview on Wednesday and am also nervous, when is yours? Cathy1985 would really appreciate if you could give me any guidance . What sort of questions were asked , what was the lay out for the day .What does the group interview involve is there any individual interview?Any information you can give me would be really appreciated as I am so nervous. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Erin80

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can give me any info or advice? I have an interview for UCD and just wondering if anyone has been through the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Erin80

neola wrote: »
    hansg93 I have my interview on Wednesday and am also nervous, when is yours? Cathy1985 would really appreciate if you could give me any guidance . What sort of questions were asked , what was the lay out for the day .What does the group interview involve is there any individual interview?Any information you can give me would be really appreciated as I am so nervous. Thanks in advance.

I have my interview Wednesday too, have you heard anything?

hi Erin80
    No , what time is your interview mine is 10am they told me it lasts until lunchtime. When i rang asking about the presentation they said it was more an introduction on why we wanted to be SW. Other than that nothing. Wish I knew someone who had done it already just to calm my nerves a tad.What about you what have you done? I have just looked at theories and hoping its enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Abiola1993

Hey guys I have my interview for UCD today,any pointers please??or what theories are they looking for mostly

I just looked at few theories such as attachment,person centered and empowerment. Hope this helps, Good luck today.Let me know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clare_3103

Hey guys I also have my interview in UCD tomorrow. How is everyone finding the preparation?

• Advertisement

What time is your interview. Mine is 10am and i am a nervous wreck. What sort of prep have you done?Did you hear anything about the interview process, questions they ask etc. i have just been reading over theories, but other than that i have no idea what to expect as i have never done a group interview before.

Advertisement