Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying about one's age

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I lied about my age when I was under 18 to get into clubs. And once to get into a 15s movie when I was 13.

But I haven't lied since. I'm 24 but look very young, people are surprised when I tell them my age. They usually think I'm around 19/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

What amazes me more is the people on this thread who seem genuinely annoyed by strangers who lie about their age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

What amazes me more is the people on this thread who seem genuinely annoyed by strangers who lie about their age
    Here here !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Isn't there a rumour that RTE forces its celebs to shave four years off all their ages?
    Then again, I'm sure I once saw a bio of Daithi O'Se in the RTE Guide c.2001 when he was still a weatherman on TG4 that claimed he was born in 1967 and not 1976... Maybe it was a misprint.
    That is actually true. But only for some.
    Now I'm aware that actors/performers/singers at al are often less than candid about their real age, but how about ordinary people like us?

Would you lie about your age? And if so, why and under what circumstances?

I used to be in the arts /media ...now a very low rung on the ladder but for nine months I was with an agency that did modelling and sent me to castings for diff gigs etc. They wouldn't let me put my actual age out and took a few years off it was in the contract. On any acting C.V you are asked 'playing range ' not age. It's pretty standard actually.

Absolutely I would lie about my age. Because i bloody well felt like it!

Why would anyone want to know my age anyway?

I would not lie filling out a form or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The woman you are replying to pointed out she left college later than normal. Now engage the brain......

Ah. There. You got it.

You know people will be more engaging if you left out the smartarsyness on your very first encounter. You wouldn't talk to anyone like that in real life would you?

Anyway

So what, did the also enter/leave school early? There is no normal college term. I only entered 3rd level when I was 21 and didn't leave before 28. Where I'm from its not the norm at all like here where most people see college basically like a school extension.

Anyway.

I'd be immediately suspicious of any cv without their dob on it. Its one of the most fundamental pieces of information on a cv like your name etc. Not that I'd be likely to discriminate, but I'd be thinking immediately whats their reason not to state dob? Are they trying to be smart with me or something? It is very much relevant. Would you consider giving someone a career building job if they were 63? Its typical bull****ty pc-ness hollow bollixology. You tick all the boxes on paper but when its all said and done people will make such decisions based on some of the 9 criteria anyway. They just won't tell you they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm turning 27 in a few weeks and beginning to feel uneasy about my advancing years, as retarded as that may be. I still feel young, just want to have a young age to match. That said people always think I'm older when I tell them my age.

I know plenty of people who've no problem with their age. I think it isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Too all those people who think they look much younger, I think its fairly standard politeness to shave off 4-5 years if some one is over late twenties if your asked to guess age*. Basically unless you look prematurely old your always going to be told you look younger than your age.

*And I know its not just me that does this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Boskowski wrote: »
    And of course there is no way they will figure it out from other dates on your cv. or are going to tell me now you won't have to say on your cv when you finished school, attended college, started your first job etc :confused::rolleyes::eek:

dob not on your cv. seriously the world has gone mad. next people will be going to interviews dressed in a sack pulled over their head with a stephen hawking voice so that they couldn't possibly be discriminated on anything. oh actually wait next people will be going to interviews with no cv. so that they couldn't be discriminated on being totally unsuited to the job.
    this made me burst out laughing hahaha:D

Calibos wrote: »
    Never lie about my age. quite proud of it sometimes actually. :D If anyone asks or its relevant to the conversation or its obvious someone has drastically under estimated my age, thats when I'll tell them.

Look mid 20's or so I'm told.

Every single person and I mean absolutely everyone who has ever guessed or been asked to guess has said exactly the same number. ie. 26

Combination of genetics as my 67 yo father and 63 yo mother are also told they look about 10-15 years younger than they are. Look so young as I could count the number of greys on my head on my fingers and toes (chin a different story but I keep that shaved), I have no receding hairline or thinning as yet and finally, I was never much of an outdoorsy person or sun worshipper and thus likely have a lot less accumulated damage to my skin. My facial features likely also add to the younger than I look effect. Not a feminine face but not square jawed hyper masculine either. I was the baby faced guy who was asked for ID in pubs till his mid twenties. The aging that has occurred has merely masculinised away the baby face of my twenties.
    Im a 19 year old baby face and you give me hope

Really? Didn't know that. Not the case here in Spain where it's normal to put a photo of yourself on your CV (and kind of expected). I never have though.

Haven't lied about my age and have no problem telling people I'm 24 (hur hur...I'm 34!). I'm starting to get that, "Really? You don't look 34!" reaction from people which I never knew how irritating it was until I was on the receiving end of it and I've stopped saying it to other people as a result. Do you think 34 is ancient or something? This is what 34 looks like, people!! Hellooo!
    Not that 34 is ancient, its just a lot of people don't even try with regards keeping up their looks so the majority of people look terrible by their early thirties..especially in Irelandq..sad really, its not that hard to keep your lucks up until your late thirties if you put in a little effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

People think I lie about my age because I'm baby faced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Do some free lance playing with a relatively well known Irish band. All the core members were told by their label that they have to tell the media that they are still in their 20s even though some are mid 30s. Gotta keep the dream alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Really? Didn't know that. Not the case here in Spain where it's normal to put a photo of yourself on your CV (and kind of expected). I never have though.

AFAIK, appearance isn't one of the nine areas on which you can't discriminate. Which might be fair enough, otherwise how do you cast models? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I've always lied about my age. I gave up telling people the truth because they never believed me..

Yeah, it's more of an omission in my case, I'd never lie if directly asked. I'm nearly 31 and pretty much look my age but could probably look 28 either and if that makes prospective employers think I'm less likely to run off and get up the duff, so be it! :p

I'd be immediately suspicious of any cv without their dob on it.

So, you'd be suspicious of every single CV? Because apart from some wet-behind-the-ears teenager or a complete numpty, nobody is going to have their DOB on there.

If you ever do get to filtering CV for a job, expect a whole lot of suspicion. And good luck with your new numpty employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Because apart from some wet-behind-the-ears teenager or a complete numpty, nobody is going to have their DOB on there.

I'm not a teenager and I've my dob on mine..
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You know people will be more engaging if you left out the smartarsyness on your very first encounter. You wouldn't talk to anyone like that in real life would you?

Anyway

So what, did the also enter/leave school early? There is no normal college term. I only entered 3rd level when I was 21 and didn't leave before 28. Where I'm from its not the norm at all like here where most people see college basically like a school extension.

Anyway.

I'd be immediately suspicious of any cv without their dob on it. Its one of the most fundamental pieces of information on a cv like your name etc. Not that I'd be likely to discriminate, but I'd be thinking immediately whats their reason not to state dob? Are they trying to be smart with me or something? It is very much relevant. Would you consider giving someone a career building job if they were 63? Its typical bull****ty pc-ness hollow bollixology. You tick all the boxes on paper but when its all said and done people will make such decisions based on some of the 9 criteria anyway. They just won't tell you they did.

I'd be more engaging if you were. You snarked your reply to her and now to me.

As has been pointed out Dob is not common on modern cvs. For someone who looks 28 and is 32 and doesn't want employers to worry about her age (because of fear of pregnancy or whatever) not putting the date is a good tactic. You opined that it could be worked out by dates of graduation but clearly it can't since they can vary. Nobody can hide 4 decades so the 63 year old won't get the young mans job, but a few years can be hidden and if women in particular feel the need because of ageism, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Years ago, when I was aged 13 or so, my friends and I, (also 13), tried to get into a movie. It was one of those "you can get in if accompanied by someone 17 or older" situations so my tallest friend, "M", went to buy the tickets for all three of us.
    She was asked her age, she said "I'm 17".
    They didn't believe her and asked "When is your birthday?"
    She turned to me and said "Liz, when's my birthday?" :rolleyes:

We did not see the movie that day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've added a few years to it in the past. I was 19 seeing a 25 year old, he thought I was 23. Didn't tell him my actual age till we split up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Don't think I've ever seen a DOB on a CV. Maybe a kid would have it on there when looking for summer work or something, but an adult? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jbtarmac121

Last year I lived in a student house with 3 girls and one guy. One of the girls met a guy one night and they started going out. She was 19 and the guy she met was 20. They dated for about 5 months. He came over a fair bit, was a cool guy. Well it turns out he was actually 31 and lied about his age/being a student etc. It was all a total con. She found out when she found his passport when she was over in his apartment and he came clean. They broke up soon after. Thing is, she would never have given him a chance initially if she'd known his real age. He had the gift of looking young. Well he got 5 months worth of a relationship out of a fairly attractive 19 year old student at the age of 31. Needless to say that me & the lads secretly consider him a bit of a legend

Last year I lived in a student house with 3 girls and one guy. One of the girls met a guy one night and they started going out. She was 19 and the guy she met was 20. They dated for about 5 months. He came over a fair bit, was a cool guy. Well it turns out he was actually 31 and lied about his age/being a student etc. It was all a total con. She found out when she found his passport when she was over in his apartment and he came clean. They broke up soon after. Thing is, she would never have given him a chance initially if she'd known his real age. He had the gift of looking young. Well he got 5 months worth of a relationship out of a fairly attractive 19 year old student at the age of 31. Needless to say that me & the lads secretly consider him a bit of a legend
    I consider him incredibly creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jbtarmac121

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I consider him incredibly creepy

I'm sure he cared about that when he was having sex with a hot 19 year old for months. Wouldn't be surprised if he's doing it again down in Galway, he moved there last year.

I'm sure he cared about that when he was having sex with a hot 19 year old for months. Wouldn't be surprised if he's doing it again down in Galway, he moved there last year.

Hah maybe. But seriously was your friend incredibly gullible or something? Like did she never meet any of his friends who Im guessing are in his age group, and didn't all look 20 like him? I don't see how you could keep up a lie like that to her for so long!

The standards for what constitutes a legend really has dropped, hasn't it? If he'd have been honest and still scored her, THEN he'd have been a legend.

Funny how "fairly attractive" suddenly became "hot". ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I lie about it on websites which i don't trust. I make up my address where it's irrelevant (or put down Parcel Motel), but I think everyone does this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Mr. G wrote: »
    I lie about it on websites which i don't trust. I make up my address where it's irrelevant (or put down Parcel Motel), but I think everyone does this.

Make sure you exclude your pmid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement