Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying about one's age

Options
  • 13-03-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Now I'm aware that actors/performers/singers at al are often less than candid about their real age, but how about ordinary people like us?

Would you lie about your age? And if so, why and under what circumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My friend made a good point the other day - why lie about your age to be younger? Add ten years onto your age instead and everyone will think you look fabulous!

I don't really care if people know my age - I've no wish to be younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

Isn't there a rumour that RTE forces its celebs to shave four years off all their ages?
    Then again, I'm sure I once saw a bio of Daithi O'Se in the RTE Guide c.2001 when he was still a weatherman on TG4 that claimed he was born in 1967 and not 1976... Maybe it was a misprint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I don't have to lie about my age. I never tell people, and most people thinks I look way younger that I am. Long may it last. If only I can hide my fingers, they're not as youthful looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I don't lie about one's age, just my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've never lied about my age in all my 22 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I don't lie about my age. Its just that it's my 21st every year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

If someone feels compelled to lie about their own age, it says more about how self-obsessed and vain they are more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

Used to do it all the time...told the barman/bouncer I was 18…..but I was only 15. 9 times out of 10 I'd be believed....the other time I wasn't asked :)

Ah them were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I told the lads I was 9 years old, when really I was 8. I have kept up that lie to date, it really snowballed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I finished college at the age of 25 in 2009. (Degree prolonged due to illness) I'm nearly 31 and as a 30 something female, I'm aware that interview panels and hiring managers might secretly be thinking I might run off to have kiddies as soon as I get into the job. So if they want to think I'm 27-28ish, I'm not going to correct them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I havnt had to lie about my age in almost 20 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Haven't lied about my age since I was trying to get into clubs. They say getting older is a privilege as so many don't get to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't see the point in it I am what age I am .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well from 14 -17 people lie about their age to be served in pubs. They can't wait to be younger.

Then when people get older (particulary women) in their late 30s/early 40s they wish they were 17 again.

As a young fella I hardly ever used to get served without ID. It was only in my early 20s I stopped being asked for ID.

At this stage though it has its benefits because when I say my age people are surprised. No need for me to make stuff up like some of youse!:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

On grindr I'm 29, I don't think it goes up any higher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

efb wrote: »
    On grindr I'm 29, I don't think it goes up any higher

Whats grindr is it to do with angle grinders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Whats grindr is it to do with angle grinders?

Gay hook up app

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I was born at a very young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Lying about your age is petty and somewhat egotistical.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I finished college at the age of 25 in 2009. (Degree prolonged due to illness) I'm nearly 31 and as a 30 something female, I'm aware that interview panels and hiring managers might secretly be thinking I might run off to have kiddies as soon as I get into the job. So if they want to think I'm 27-28ish, I'm not going to correct them.

Do you not have your date of birth on your cv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Who puts their date of birth on a cv? Total no-no.

Er, hello 1985!

NOBODY puts their DOB on their CV now. It's not a requirement and a potential employer isn't permitted to ask you as it is one the areas on which you are not allowed to discriminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Handy way around it is to ask them what size white mice penny sweets were when they were a wain, you can determine how old they are depending on how many hands they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Er, hello 1985!

NOBODY puts their DOB on their CV now. It's not a requirement and a potential employer isn't permitted to ask you as it is one the areas on which you are not allowed to discriminate.

And of course there is no way they will figure it out from other dates on your cv. or are going to tell me now you won't have to say on your cv when you finished school, attended college, started your first job etc :confused::rolleyes::eek:

dob not on your cv. seriously the world has gone mad. next people will be going to interviews dressed in a sack pulled over their head with a stephen hawking voice so that they couldn't possibly be discriminated on anything. oh actually wait next people will be going to interviews with no cv. so that they couldn't be discriminated on being totally unsuited to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Boskowski wrote: »
    And of course there is no way they will figure it out from other dates on your cv. or are going to tell me now you won't have to say on your cv when you finished school, attended college, started your first job etc :confused::rolleyes::eek:

dob not on your cv. seriously the world has gone mad. next people will be going to interviews dressed in a sack pulled over their head with a stephen hawking voice so that they couldn't possibly be discriminated on anything. oh actually wait next people will be going to interviews with no cv. so that they couldn't be discriminated on being totally unsuited to the job.

The woman you are replying to pointed out she left college later than normal. Now engage the brain......

Ah. There. You got it.

Boskowski wrote: »
    dob not on your cv. seriously the world has gone mad.

Seriously, nobody puts their DOB on there now. It's not relevant. And lots of people wouldn't bother putting down their secondary school, it wastes precious space.

As for your discrimination rant, there are, I think, nine categories written into law under which you are not allowed to discriminate. Employers may quietly discriminate of course, but cannot ask your age in an interview. Or specify an age group or anything else pertaining to the nine categories in a job advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stopped when I hit 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Never lie about my age. quite proud of it sometimes actually. :D If anyone asks or its relevant to the conversation or its obvious someone has drastically under estimated my age, thats when I'll tell them.
    Actually, I'm 41
    FUUUUUCK OFF!?!?!?!?'

Look mid 20's or so I'm told.

Every single person and I mean absolutely everyone who has ever guessed or been asked to guess has said exactly the same number. ie. 26

Combination of genetics as my 67 yo father and 63 yo mother are also told they look about 10-15 years younger than they are. Look so young as I could count the number of greys on my head on my fingers and toes (chin a different story but I keep that shaved), I have no receding hairline or thinning as yet and finally, I was never much of an outdoorsy person or sun worshipper and thus likely have a lot less accumulated damage to my skin. My facial features likely also add to the younger than I look effect. Not a feminine face but not square jawed hyper masculine either. I was the baby faced guy who was asked for ID in pubs till his mid twenties. The aging that has occurred has merely masculinised away the baby face of my twenties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Er, hello 1985!

Really? Didn't know that. Not the case here in Spain where it's normal to put a photo of yourself on your CV (and kind of expected). I never have though.

Haven't lied about my age and have no problem telling people I'm 24 (hur hur...I'm 34!). I'm starting to get that, "Really? You don't look 34!" reaction from people which I never knew how irritating it was until I was on the receiving end of it and I've stopped saying it to other people as a result. Do you think 34 is ancient or something? This is what 34 looks like, people!! Hellooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

I don't lie about my age. We are getting old, need to accept that

Advertisement