Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

One that's closer to finishing (ready for slaughter) than a plainer, lighter animal.

Thanks for that, I always wondered what it meant

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Alan Stanford, George went off to Pittsburgh to do stage directing (from what I've heard, with a much younger woman in tow), although I'm sure he's doing the voiceover for the curry sauce ads spoofing the Ferrero Rocher ads.

Alan Stanford was also on an episode of Adoption Stories a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

youwould wrote: »
    A few people have mentioned Ciana Campbell earlier in this thread. She's living and working in Co Clare now it seems. I've seen her around Ennis a few times.

Anyone know what happened to Pamela Flood? Or anyone remember James Kilbane? Although I doubt he qualifies as a 'celebrity'.

James has maintained a professional singing career since You're A Star in 2004, mainly as a Christian / gospel singer here and in the USA. 13th album just released.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

James has maintained a professional singing career since You're A Star in 2004, mainly as a Christian / gospel singer here and in the USA. 13th album just released.

He has a seriously good voice in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

I've always wondered what happened to all those who won The All-Ireland Talent Show, ever since some six months after the first competition, found the Mulkerrins playing in a pub, might have been Feerick's.
    Cliodhna Hagan, an opera singer on it has since become a country starlet, proving the maxim in the Commitments that as good as you are in another genre, you are more likely to succeed in country even if you are subpar there, a la Bronagh Gallagher as Bernie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Mike Murphy - couldn't turn on RTE television or radio years back without seeing or hearing him. He seemed to own RTE back then, in partnership with Gay Byrne. Dropped completely off the radar, although he had a chat on Liveline a few weeks back, about his heroics in facing down Israeli immigration bullies.

curioser wrote: »
    Mike Murphy - couldn't turn on RTE television or radio years back without seeing or hearing him. He seemed to own RTE back then, in partnership with Gay Byrne. Dropped completely off the radar, although he had a chat on Liveline a few weeks back, about his heroics in facing down Israeli immigration bullies.

I thought he had retired due to ill health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I've always wondered what happened to all those who won The All-Ireland Talent Show, ever since some six months after the first competition, found the Mulkerrins playing in a pub, might have been Feerick's.
    Cliodhna Hagan, an opera singer on it has since become a country starlet, proving the maxim in the Commitments that as good as you are in another genre, you are more likely to succeed in country even if you are subpar there, a la Bronagh Gallagher as Bernie.

Talent show winners nearly always have a brief five minutes of fame before returning to obscurity apart from the odd case like Susan Boyle, even her star seems to be on the wane.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went in to property development, believe he was wiped out in the crash

For years the only media work he did was voicing ads for the shopping centre he owned! Gaybo did some of them too. Donaghmede SC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Didn't he do a quiz series that was shown over the Christmas period a year or so ago?

Also he did a series of him interviewing well known people that was shown about 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,178 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He said at the time, that he went back to media, in those interviews, to make a bit of money.

Didn't he do a quiz series that was shown over the Christmas period a year or so ago?

Also he did a series of him interviewing well known people that was shown about 2 years ago.

I had forgotten about those. Pity he can't do a few more, might teach the current crop at RTÉ how to conduct an interview or do a game show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

80s styles would not be accepted these days by the main audience, much as they may thrill a retro crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't know if this has been answered already. But Kathryn McKiernan studied Journalism and Visual media at Griffiths Cllge.

She acts now, and sweet mama jamma-she hasn't aged a day...so not fair. She was 19 when she started working in the Den-I think she was one of the first presenters on that show who was younger than me (like only a year or 2-but that was in the era where footballers were younger than me-so I felt old). She lost weight after her first or second year on the show-and she was seriously fit.

https://www.independent.ie/life/my-cultural-life-kathryn-mckiernan-35312385.html

She was actually not a bad presenter-I remember she had way more energy than the previous presenters (Francy Boylan was quite stiff and the only real memory of him is that thick kid on what's snots)-I guess that comes from being in stage school since she was a kid.

Her showreels on vimeo-by her own upload-it's a nice nostalgia trip. https://vimeo.com/15593700

A few people have mentioned Ciana Campbell earlier in this thread. She's living and working in Co Clare now it seems. I've seen her around Ennis a few times.

Anyone know what happened to Pamela Flood? Or anyone remember James Kilbane? Although I doubt he qualifies as a 'celebrity'.

Pamela Flood often pops up on tv3-I remember she turned up on 'Elaine' at midday when that Bridget Jones movie was out last year.

Does anyone know what happened to Celine Whelan? Went from 'The Den' to 'Jo Maxi' and I think did some voiceovers too. After that, disappeared.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2273/097.html

Ditto Michael Sheridan. He was on Bull Island, and then he did a ton of Voice over work (Including the voice of a dog on the Disney club with Mary Kingston-funny how they worked together a lot. He had to improv his lines-it was a cringefest). Also went quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ditto Michael Sheridan. He was on Bull Island, and then he did a ton of Voice over work (Including the voice of a dog on the Disney club with Mary Kingston-funny how they worked together a lot. He had to improv his lines-it was a cringefest). Also went quiet.

He now works as a motoring journalist. Freelance, I think. His by-line appears in the Irish Times occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Pamela Flood often pops up on tv3-I remember she turned up on 'Elaine' at midday when that Bridget Jones movie was out last year.

Does anyone know what happened to Celine Whelan? Went from 'The Den' to 'Jo Maxi' and I think did some voiceovers too. After that, disappeared.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2273/097.html

Oisin the dog. Just a bizarre concept. Other companies would settle with a puppet. Not RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

what happened to michelle smith...the swimmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

coolegrain wrote: »
    what happened to michelle smith...the swimmer

She's a barrister in Dublin I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What about Wagner ?

• Advertisement

Ahh, many a happy morning I spent watching Mary Kingston and Michael Sheridan. Any one remember the name of the school quiz show Michael presented? He may have had a co-presenter.

What happened to Ciara from the Den?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Works

I don't know what happened to Ciara.

Oisin the dog. Just a bizarre concept. Other companies would settle with a puppet. Not RTE.

Yeah-it was ridiculous. The dog would just go off doing his own thing. You'd have thought RTE would have learnt that anytime they bring a dog on a show-it doesn't work out well for them. (BBC had more luck-but they were much smarter with the animals). Like, that Gerry Ryan show 'Ryantown' had a dog called 'Murphy'- except Murphy wasn't the dogs name(RTE gave him that name-never responded to it)-and he never responded to it either. Then when the dog went mental (as happened a lot-might have gotten into Gerry's stash) when Gerry was trying to call the dog back...he had no luck.
    branie2 wrote: »
    The Works

I don't know what happened to Ciara.

Yeah, The Works, a national school close to where I grew up (not mine tho) was on it one year It was entertaining enough-was quite funny for the time-especially for a kids show.

Ciara works for Dublin Airport. She's on twitter.

https://twitter.com/ciaracarroll

I remember she had a child sometime in the late 90s, don't think she's with the child's dad anymore.
    (Oh wait-she posted the article on twitter. https://twitter.com/ciaracarroll/status/839842594733576192)

She was on Derek Mooney's radio show a few years back-looking for a guy. (No, not me being mean-that's why she was there). Apparently she was in radio production-but that's so volatile, she left and went to daa. Shes' on linkedin too-but I don't wanna be accessing that.

According to her twitter-I think her daughter is acting now. She must be about 17/18.
    She's looking well, it has to be said. (She was some stunner on the Den, also has to be said).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,178 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Michelle de Bruin is one of the top barristers on medical negligence.

Ciara works for Dublin Airport. She's on twitter.

https://twitter.com/ciaracarroll

I remember she had a child sometime in the late 90s, don't think she's with the child's dad anymore.
    (Oh wait-she posted the article on twitter. https://twitter.com/ciaracarroll/status/839842594733576192)

She was on Derek Mooney's radio show a few years back-looking for a guy. (No, not me being mean-that's why she was there). Apparently she was in radio production-but that's so volatile, she left and went to daa. Shes' on linkedin too-but I don't wanna be accessing that.

According to her twitter-I think her daughter is acting now. She must be about 17/18.
    She's looking well, it has to be said. (She was some stunner on the Den, also has to be said).

Yep, she was always a good looking lady. Nice to see she is doing well.

Yep, she was always a good looking lady. Nice to see she is doing well.

Ella's on twitter as well-she's 18, so my guess was pretty close. Buttimer is her last name-I was right, she's acting.

liam7831 wrote: »
    What about Wagner ?

Not really Irish, is he?

I hadn't heard of anything from Mary Coughlan (the singer, not the TD) in years until Hookgate. Actually, rather a lot of former TDs have vanished off the face of the earth too.

L1011 wrote: »
    Not really Irish, is he?

I hadn't heard of anything from Mary Coughlan (the singer, not the TD) in years until Hookgate. Actually, rather a lot of former TDs have vanished off the face of the earth too.

Coughlan was like all of those 'whatever happened to' in Ireland-she popped up on Elaine or Midday.
    She seems like she'd turn up for the opening of an envelope, tbh.

Definitely used Hookgate to get her name out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

eviltwin wrote: »
    Gavin lambe murphy

I think we all rather not hear from the drug addled basket case after his rant on RTE late one night that the Government had done nothing for himself and Katy French. Two prize plonkers

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Haven't heard much of Lee Dunne in recent years but presume he must be getting on in years. I was surprised when i found out that he wrote a series of risque novels that were banned in the 70's as I'd thought he was a cabaret singer type entertainer, I'm sure I used to get him mixed up with Sonny Knowles for some reason.

Advertisement