Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for second rifle licence 1 year later

Options
  • 13-03-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys I got licenced on a .223 this time last year as my first gun ever I got it no problem at all and I've a 3 gun safe land owner permission etc
    Never got in bother with guards all my life no serious offences,an opportunity has come up for me to get a .22 for decent enough coin and I want to grab it as the 223 is overkill on rabbits should I get granted no problem again?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭sniperman

dont see why not,lots of lads have 2+guns,and since you got a 223 as a first gun,a 22lr should be no problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No one can say for certain that you will get it "no problem".

However the law has NO limit on the amount and frequency in which you get guns. IOW you can apply for a new gun every week if you can show good reason, and can fulfill the security needs for the amount you have or intend to get.

There is also no limit on the size. Some lads have been told that because they applied for a (example) .223 that they can only have a .22lr, some lads have been told they have to wait for 6 months, a year, etc. after getting a .223 until they can apply for say (example again) a .223, .243, 6.5, etc. This is bullsh*t and should be ignored as the drivel it is.

Your only "hurdle" is good reason. Why do you want the gun. Why is this gun needed that your current gun cannot satisfy? Simple answer(s) are:
    • Reduced report when fired
    • Further reduced with a Suppressor
    • Lower powered rifle and better suited for the particular type of shooting you need it for
    • Can be used for target shooting if you decide to go that route in the future
    • Cheaper ammo
    None of these reasons need to be explained on the FCA1. The only thing you need to do is tick why you want the rifle (hunting, target shooting on a range, etc) and supply any additional information thet ask for on a separate sheet of paper.

This is not a brag, but about 6 years i had the most guns i ever owned at one time. I had 11. There were 3 x .308s, 2 x shotguns, 3 x .22lrs, 2 x 9mm pistols, 1 x .223, and i had two licenses for two of my Father's guns bringing the total to 13. I was able to provide a good reason for each gun, and as a member of a target range, gun club, and with my own permissions i was able to ffulfill the requirements needed for each one.

I also bought three guns at the one time and applied for them all at once. Got them all. So go for it. Any problems or questions just ask here and someone will help you out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement