Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby Walsh - Paddy P *no conspiracies*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,446 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

mulbot wrote: »
    Will disagree here,(from experience,it's a very small community,these jockeys and especially workriders talk and socialize alot and if a trainer has a good one,you can be sure most other yards will know- also,i could,but obviously won't name you quite a few jocks/owners and trainers who make alot from betting!
    +1

A lot of the small time trainers might only have 10 horses in training and of those, maybe one horse is capable of winning any kind of race. That final horse might be the only thing that's keeping the yard in the black - so of course the trainer is going to be meticulous with that that horse, getting the OR nice and low, giving it plenty of runs (really schooling on track) before they feel that the horse is ready to be allowed to win. It's when the horse is ready, you see the money being lashed on.

Not all trainers will are backing horses, but a lot are.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy but it irritates me every time I'm in PP! The tone of the pp guy thay introduced him makes it sound like they are doing punters a favour! I tend to ignore whatever he says! I think pp would do well to get a more popular racing figure to do it as well as no many regular punters seem to have time for him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

pugw wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a conspiracy but it irritates me every time I'm in PP! The tone of the pp guy thay introduced him makes it sound like they are doing punters a favour! I tend to ignore whatever he says! I think pp would do well to get a more popular racing figure to do it as well as no many regular punters seem to have time for him!
    Speaking of Paddy Power shops, who is the girl that does voice overs about odds etc?

Christ on a stick what a horrible horrible horrible accent

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭YoungKhalifa

Speaking of Paddy Power shops, who is the girl that does voice overs about odds etc?

Agreed, makes me avoid PP shops. So irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Ever notice when Ruby REALLY wants to win a race he leads from the front but when he can't be arsed he's at the very back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fecks sake plenty here made a mint when Walsh let it be known that American Trilogy was ready to win the County Hurdle a few years back!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59400881&postcount=42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Has he always been grumpy and come across arrogant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Stacksey wrote: »
    Ever notice when Ruby REALLY wants to win a race he leads from the front but when he can't be arsed he's at the very back?

Biggest load of dirt i ever read.i suppose kauto star in 2007 gold cup had no interest in winning? or master minded at aintree? you could pick hundreds upon hundreds of examples of how that statement is a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Is that Aoife in the booth, gives views on the BAGS dogs? The high-low tone of hers drives me around the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

+1

A lot of the small time trainers might only have 10 horses in training and of those, maybe one horse is capable of winning any kind of race. That final horse might be the only thing that's keeping the yard in the black - so of course the trainer is going to be meticulous with that that horse, getting the OR nice and low, giving it plenty of runs (really schooling on track) before they feel that the horse is ready to be allowed to win. It's when the horse is ready, you see the money being lashed on.

Not all trainers will are backing horses, but a lot are.

Firstly, if you think one horse is keeping a yard in the black you're wrong. Winning races that have big prizemoney isn't exactly easy. Winning a weak Dundalk class 5 twice a year isn't going to keep a stable afloat either but that's another discussion for another day.

But owners, trainers, jockeys aren't price sensitive. I don't know any who make profit on the punt long term. They've no idea what market overrounds they're betting into & most of the time take bad prices. Why do you think bookies offer owners special products etc. Mug punters unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

dave3004 wrote: »
    Firstly, if you think one horse is keeping a yard in the black you're wrong. Winning races that have big prizemoney isn't exactly easy. Winning a weak Dundalk class 5 twice a year isn't going to keep a stable afloat either but that's another discussion for another day.

But owners, trainers, jockeys aren't price sensitive. I don't know any who make profit on the punt long term. They've no idea what market overrounds they're betting into & most of the time take bad prices. Why do you think bookies offer owners special products etc. Mug punters unfortunately.

Most small yards will stay in the black from running and selling young horses in the point to point scene,but one horse from a small yard that has been laid up for a race can easily keep a yard going( at least for a while)-one horse i know back in 2007 gave one of the connections well over 100 grand,and that's not even counting for the trainer's betting,these yards don't rely on the prizemoney,(that's too small an amount,) but rather on conning the bookies-Look at last year's Barney Curley coup that stung the bookies for a huge amount,do you think the people involved didn't know what the markets were going to offer? of course they did and they plotted around that,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Fecks sake plenty here made a mint when Walsh let it be known that American Trilogy was ready to win the County Hurdle a few years back!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59400881&postcount=42

Yeah lads, jesus christ, Ruby told a guy working in the industry and word got around 6 years ago so everything he has said since must be the truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

racing is its very nature is a roughs game all too often. Anyone betting must realise that and not be surprised at ANYTHING that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

In fairness to ruby most of the tips that I've seen him give recently have been winners. He tipped up 10/1 winner on the morning line in mid February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I will alter this slightly, as there are certainly exceptions in that some owners (best racing gambler in recent history was also an owner!) and trainers that are clued into punting. But essentially this is spot on bar a few exceptions. It makes sense that owners are poor punters since racehorse ownership is a poor value investment for the vast majority. If they are willing to put their money into the black hole that of ownership, their gambling investments arent likely to be good either.

And anyway, even if there was shrewd punting trainers, who exactly are going to lay their bets? The strings the Byrnes crowd have to pull these days to even get a small bet on is ridiculous, and in the end the bookies make money from these gambles, as they may lose a bit at the initial big price, the price is chopped immediately and the clowns who follow in after are getting terrible value

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sirdes

mulbot wrote: »
    Most small yards will stay in the black from running and selling young horses in the point to point scene,but one horse from a small yard that has been laid up for a race can easily keep a yard going( at least for a while)-one horse i know back in 2007 gave one of the connections well over 100 grand,and that's not even counting for the trainer's betting,these yards don't rely on the prizemoney,(that's too small an amount,) but rather on conning the bookies-Look at last year's Barney Curley coup that stung the bookies for a huge amount,do you think the people involved didn't know what the markets were going to offer? of course they did and they plotted around that,

If these small yards are so successful at gambling on there horses why would bookmakers continue to take bets off them. They do occasionally land a gamble but most give it all back with interest. Most information and tips coming from smaller yards is rubbish and will put you in the poorhuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

sirdes wrote: »
    If these small yards are so successful at gambling on there horses why would bookmakers continue to take bets off them. They do occasionally land a gamble but most give it all back with interest. Most information and tips coming from smaller yards is rubbish and will put you in the poorhuse

maybe from your experience-Do you think the yards make it obvious that they are putting on bets? I know one guy who in 2007 ( he had a connection to the yard, ) who drove us around between Carlow,castlecomber,kilkenny,newbridge and a few other towns getting us to place bets on a horse,it won at 12/1,won another race 4 days later and again 2 weeks later,where in the last race we were told to double it up with another horse from a different yard that had set up their horse!! Most people here wouldn't have even heard of this,so you can be sure other yards do it without drawing attention to themselves..

I agree with you about "tips" coming from second or third parties as being rubbish generally,but when people are in the know directly then that's advice worth taking,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,446 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A lot of the small time trainers who are running horses in the bottom grade handicaps have very low costs (they own their own stables, their own pasture, they have family members tend the horses, etc). The attitude of these guys is that if they can just cover the costs, then they are happy. If they are lucky enough to have a horse that is capable of winning a race, then you can be sure that when that horse is allowed to run to its merits, it will win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Agreed, makes me avoid PP shops. So irritating.

One has to feel sorry for the boyfriend/girlfriend.

Surely, its a comedy gag?

Advertisement