Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby Walsh - Paddy P *no conspiracies*

Options
  • 13-03-2015 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

First off, I have no suggestion that anything untoward goes on, unlike many aggrieved punters on here and their reactionary anger.

However, in no other industry are professionals allowed to give "inside information" or tips to spectators. You never hear a footballer give an opinion on their teams result, or a darts player suggesting he will win 7-4 for example.

The fact that Walsh is in bed with PP leaves him open to criticism, and I doubt he needs the few extra quid that he receives.

Why would a jockey of such standing leave himself open to such criticism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

You do hear boxers mention specific rounds though?

But I agree that the whole thing is a bit ****ed up especially after tuesday's fall and seeing Ruby's videos with paddy on twitter in their offices!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ruby doesnt give a sh1te
    saying more might get me a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I've seen the videos and cant see anything untoward going on.

Ruby gives his opinion , same as what we are doing here .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ruby gives his opinion , same as what we are doing here .
    Not quite.

Ruby Walsh is happy to give you an opinion - it just probably isn't likely to be his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Getting into bed with Paddy Power be the least of his problems I'd say.

I find him unbearable these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

if that had of been a well less known jockey on Annie the criticism would have been a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    if that had of been a well less known jockey on Annie the criticism would have been a lot more.

Anyone who blames the fall on jockey error is an imbecile and should be ignored.

Pocket talkers are a scourge on the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

faoile@n wrote: »
    Anyone who blames the fall on jockey error is an imbecile and should be ignored.

Pocket talkers are a scourge on the sport.

I concur, ruby let the horse jump in its own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

All you have to do is look at the AP betting for UDS and Vautour, in the runup to Cheltenham, and that will tell you all you need to know about the quality of information PP were getting. I chose to ignore it at my peril.

Horse racing will never be a fully transparent sport. Insiders will always have an edge and i've resigned myself to this fact. Still pisses me off though when a horse like Aux Ptits Soins wins and in the post-race interview Nicholls says (paraphasing) "Yeah Nick Scholfield says he's the best horse he's sat on". That was the first i heard of it. Arghhhhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

Pocket talkers, me included where angry at the fall...but in no way is it a conspiracy....Ruby is a professional,,,just boring as mud....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not quite.

Ruby Walsh is happy to give you an opinion - it just probably isn't likely to be his opinion.

His job isn't to tell you what to back though, so you can take what he says whatever way you like.

He did call the Champion Chase correctly when he predicted that Dodging Bullets would win and that Sprinter Sacre was past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Denman2008

aidan24326 wrote: »
    His job isn't to tell you what to back though, so you can take what he says whatever way you like.

He did call the Champion Chase correctly when he predicted that Dodging Bullets would win and that Sprinter Sacre was past it.

He said Sire De Grugy would win in the video I seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Denman2008 wrote: »
    He said Sire De Grugy would win in the video I seen!

He was asked by Mick Fitz before the race who he'd rather be on, SDG or SS, Ruby said Dodging Bullets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    All you have to do is look at the AP betting for UDS and Vautour, in the runup to Cheltenham, and that will tell you all you need to know about the quality of information PP were getting. I chose to ignore it at my peril.

They were also biggest price Faugheen for much of the weeks leading up and went joint best price Douvan all the Tuesday morning. People looking into this far too much.

Not directed at you, but if some spent half as much time studying betting as this conspiracy nonsense they would get on far better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

If it was a punter who layed horses on betfair that Ruby was employed by there would be uproar.

I don't see much difference between PP laying horses or the ordinary Joe soap
    on betfair.

It's ridiculous these sort of arrangements are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Not a fan of Ruby as a person but sick of hearing Ruby and/or Annie Power cost me .....

The mare took off a mile before the hurdle due to the length of the shadow, conspiracy over

I am just glad the jockey and wonder mare got up in one piece after a brutal fall, and that Glens won the race :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Shemale wrote: »
    Not a fan of Ruby as a person but sick of hearing Ruby and/or Annie Power cost me .....

The mare took off a mile before the hurdle due to the length of the shadow, conspiracy over

I am just glad the jockey and wonder mare got up in one piece after a brutal fall, and that Glens won the race :cool:

I foolishly had Annie in my accumulator, I was jst happy to see the horse get back p again

I foolishly had Annie in my accumulator, I was jst happy to see the horse get back p again

Bet of the day was Glens Melody w/o at 2/1, one bookie had a w/o market and everyone in front of me was backing her. I was blessed with the fall, had backed Annie for the World NRNB and Glens for the Mares on the basis Annie would end up in the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

It is a conflict of interest of course, but any sort of conspiracy talk is ludicrous.
    It certainly doesn't do the image of the game any favour. The lack of regulation in the gambling industry would shock any newcomer to the business.

Bet of the day was Glens Melody w/o at 2/1, one bookie had a w/o market and everyone in front of me was backing her. I was blessed with the fall, had backed Annie for the World NRNB and Glens for the Mares on the basis Annie would end up in the World.

I actually advised my mate to back against Annie Power then had an 'Ah fck it' moment when I was in the bookies. I don't normally go into shops bt ended p having a few pints on Tuesday so better judgement went ot the wndow

• Advertisement

Two pricks in front of me at the airport on the way home were cribbing Annie Power as the reason they were flying home that day as they didn't have the money to stay another day.

Did well to bite my tongue and not call them retards.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    It is a conflict of interest of course, but any sort of conspiracy talk is ludicrous.
    It certainly doesn't do the image of the game any favour. The lack of regulation in the gambling industry would shock any newcomer to the business.

My take on it is that Horse Racing revolves around betting whereas other sports don't. A jockey being in bed with a bookie doesn't bother me.

Two pricks in front of me at the airport on the way home were cribbing Annie Power as the reason they were flying home that day as they didn't have the money to stay another day.

Did well to bite my tongue and not call them retards.

Ah go way otta that, seriously? What a pair of spas

Swear to God, obviously decided to go all in on her after Ruby won the first three, not the best strategy ever. :o

Swear to God, obviously decided to go all in on her after Ruby won the first three, not the best strategy ever. :o

The temptation was obviously there for a lot of people and the amount of cribbing I'm hearing about Ruby is hilarious. He lost me xxx€€.. No arsehole yo lost yor own money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Panrich

In retrospect she was. However having the rail to help her, she beat Polly Peachum by a very short head so it was not all plain sailing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

First off, I have no suggestion that anything untoward goes on, unlike many aggrieved punters on here and their reactionary anger.

However, in no other industry are professionals allowed to give "inside information" or tips to spectators. You never hear a footballer give an opinion on their teams result, or a darts player suggesting he will win 7-4 for example.

The fact that Walsh is in bed with PP leaves him open to criticism, and I doubt he needs the few extra quid that he receives.

Why would a jockey of such standing leave himself open to such criticism.

How is Ruby in bed with PP?. We all know that he will go out and always try to win his race. He wants all the big wins.

He has given bad tips many a time (he says jockeys can be the worse tippers) He has also talked people out of backing one of his rides despite it winning,.

He might as well get a couple of quid for it. You can be sure he gets people running after him at airports or on his way to races asking for tips

At least it shows his lighter side, all those ads. I am sure many of them would prefer not to come to these very good Pre Cheltenham nights to talk about horses. Geraghty tipped a few good ones last year. Davy Russell talked about what went wrong on Windsor Park and was certain he would stay at Cheltenham and how he "would ride him differently" there (sadly , to my cost I ignored it)

The one thing about National Hunt Racing is that the jockeys seem more approachable to interviews etc unlike the flats.

If it promotes the sport, all well and good

Panrich wrote: »
    In retrospect she was. However having the rail to help her, she beat Polly Peachum by a very short head so it was not all plain sailing.

Retrospect isn't available before the race and I wasn't alone backing Glen in the w/o market.

Getting into a race with Annie, making a bags of the last and the ground lost coming stand side wouldn't have helped Glens on the other retrospective hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Conspiracy theories are laughable. Ppl giving out about Ruby's tipping service here too. He might tell you the truth that he's on a star but he hasn't got a clue what's in the other yard. Jocks/Owners/Trainers are all terrible punters. They have no idea what price to take and this 'insider info' barely exists.

The only info you get is that the horse is ready to run to his best. Doesn't mean he will win, or not miss the kick or run keenly.

Races aren't that easy to win

It's a gambling sport and it's exactly that. A gamble !!!

Following 'tips' from anyone other than a professional gambler is the quick way to the poor house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mulbot

dave3004 wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories are laughable. Ppl giving out about Ruby's tipping service here too. He might tell you the truth that he's on a star but he hasn't got a clue what's in the other yard. Jocks/Owners/Trainers are all terrible punters. They have no idea what price to take and this 'insider info' barely exists.

The only info you get is that the horse is ready to run to his best. Doesn't mean he will win, or not miss the kick or run keenly.

Races aren't that easy to win

It's a gambling sport and it's exactly that. A gamble !!!

Following 'tips' from anyone other than a professional gambler is the quick way to the poor house

Will disagree here,(from experience,it's a very small community,these jockeys and especially workriders talk and socialize alot and if a trainer has a good one,you can be sure most other yards will know- also,i could,but obviously won't name you quite a few jocks/owners and trainers who make alot from betting!

Advertisement