Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist getting married to a Catholic, need help on selecting prayers for ceremony

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

recedite wrote: »
    They want the full religious wedding with the white dress, churchy music, and a genuine fully qualified priest guy performing the ceremony. Just no God stuff.
    I attended the church wedding of two friends a few years back at a church near Dublin city center. Neither were Irish and at least one of the two is a committed atheist. But the priest couldn't have been more accommodating and in terms of incitement to belief, the wedding ceremony was far more like one of those fake Japanese pseudo-christian weddings than something that David Quinn would approve of.

Certainly, the two groups of non-natives were bemused by proceedings, as they listened to readings in their two mutually-incomprehensible native languages, randomly sitting down, standing up, kneeling, shaking hands, queuing up to eat the biscuits, and being generally instructed, by either the priest, slowly and painfully, to do things in a language that very few of them actually spoke, or by the only Irish guy there who, not being familiar with vocabulary in one of the languages, mistranslated "kneel down" as "uh, go stand on a knife".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    But Mr Kelly argues that the ceremony is not about religion, but about image.
    "I give a good performance. I use an Apache wedding prayer in my ceremony. It works very well, although I had to take out the part about the bear god in the sky," he said.
    "If people are crying by the end of the wedding, I think I have done a good job."
    Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shame they didn't go for Elvis-in-Vegas style weddings instead.

Hilarious that there is a much larger proportion of pseudo-christian weddings in Japan than there is in the so-called 'christian countries'.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Neyite wrote: »
    A couple of generations ago, a couple would go down early in the morning, and either before or after morning mass, have the Marriage Rite, then go home for the breakfast, all legally married.

Hence why the main meal after the wedding is still called the Wedding Breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It used to be required by law to have a wedding ceremony before a certain time in England. This changed in mid Victorian Times but the wedding breakfast was just that until then. The couple would've been fasting before taking communion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It would also help to ensure that they weren't drunk :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Is there a website that shows what parts of the mass can or can't be changed (or even left out) ?, I'm getting a lot of conflicting info from different sources :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Round these parts, we tend to advise leaving out the entire mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

recedite wrote: »
    Round these parts, we tend to advise leaving out the entire mass.

Lol!, We also tend to know more about holy writ then most believers, hence why I posted here first ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J0hnick wrote: »
    Is there a website that shows what parts of the mass can or can't be changed (or even left out) ?
    Excellent question and I have absolutely no idea of the answer - though I'm sure it'll suggest a history of mistrust, paranoia and power politics within the Vatican walls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement