Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist getting married to a Catholic, need help on selecting prayers for ceremony

Options
  • 12-03-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting married before the end of the year, I'm an Atheist and my fiance is a cultural catholic (goes to mass at weddings, funerals, christenings and maybe Xmas but that's about it). We have been together for years, she's fine with my Atheism but has wanted to get married in her local church all her life, so Ive agreed to it. We just got registered, priest is a lovely guy who seems pretty liberal and not all fire and brimstone (told us we didnt have to do the pre marriage course so was nice).

Im having some trouble selecting the prayers, readings and psalms for the ceremony. I realize Im not going to get through the whole ceremony without mentioning God, but Id like to keep it to the absolute minimum, and have the day to be as much about us and as little about him as possible. None of the songs Ive chosen are religious and my fiance likes them all, Ive even picked some selected verses from the Song of Solomon/ Song of Songs as it appears to be the best out of a bad bunch when it comes to readings from the Bible were God usually gets all the thanks.

I was wondering if anyone else had any tips or was in a similar situation ?, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

J0hnick wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm getting married before the end of the year, I'm an Atheist and my fiance is a cultural catholic (goes to mass at weddings, funerals, christenings and maybe Xmas but that's about it). We have been together for years, she's fine with my Atheism but has wanted to get married in her local church all her life, so Ive agreed to it. We just got registered, priest is a lovely guy who seems pretty liberal and not all fire and brimstone (told us we didnt have to do the pre marriage course so was nice).

Im having some trouble selecting the prayers, readings and psalms for the ceremony. I realize Im not going to get through the whole ceremony without mentioning God, but Id like to keep it to the absolute minimum, and have the day to be as much about us and as little about him as possible. None of the songs Ive chosen are religious and my fiance likes them all, Ive even picked some selected verses from the Song of Solomon/ Song of Songs as it appears to be the best out of a bad bunch when it comes to readings from the Bible were God usually gets all the thanks.

I was wondering if anyone else had any tips or was in a similar situation ?, thanks in advance

I like that one that is from the Byrds song.....there is a time for this, a time for that......(sorry that's a bit vague)....

EDIT: Here you go, you should check it out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn!_Turn!_Turn!

Put it on your wedding playlist also.....nice symmetry!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I like that one that is from the Byrds song.....there is a time for this, a time for that......(sorry that's a bit vague)....

EDIT: Here you go, you should check it out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn!_Turn!_Turn!

Put it on your wedding playlist also.....nice symmetry!! :-)

Thanks, that's Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 , lyrics are almost identical so I can use that :)

Need a few more though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can the priest marrying you not advise something suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Thanks, that's Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 , lyrics are almost identical so I can use that :)

Need a few more though

That's from the King James Bible.

Wouldn't go down well at a Catholic wedding :P

lazygal wrote: »

Haven't told him I'm an Atheist, I'm 99% sure he wouldn't care and could probably help, but I don't want to risk jinxing anything.

• Advertisement

Ravenid wrote: »

Oops! :P , oh well.

Edit: "Ecclesiastes is a book of the Hebrew Bible. It is universally accepted across all Jewish and Christian biblical canons, though the order of placement differs."

You sure I cant use it ?, I might ask the priest but I wont be seeing him for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Funny thing is....

I remember when we got married the priest gave us a list of prayers to choose from.....

I think he got from the start that I was atheist but he never quizzed me on it.

Anyway, the list he gave me.....it was almost like "and in section B we have extracts from scripture with no references to God or Jesus or any religious figures.... just saying....if that's your thing....."

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Funny thing is....

I remember when we got married the priest gave us a list of prayers to choose from.....

I think he got from the start that I was atheist but he never quizzed me on it.

Anyway, the list he gave me.....it was almost like "and in section B we have extracts from scripture with no references to God or Jesus or any religious figures.... just saying....if that's your thing....."

Lol, I'm pretty sure he knows or at least has a strong suspicion, just hasnt said it to me.

Don't suppose you still have that list lying around ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I would advise don't do it! :p

But definitely don't do it unless you have the ground rules all discussed and agreed beforehand.
    Because if you're not careful, this will only be the first concession to make to irrational religious belief -
    Next will be getting the kids baptised
    Kids into religious schools
    Kids taken to church (optional :pac: )
    Holy communion, confirmation

and before you know it you've done the whole cultural catholic nine yards.

Your viewpoint on the whole god business is at least as deserving of respect as that of your spouse (and in-laws) and they should appreciate that.
    In practice however it always seems to be the case that the less religious spouse is always expected to yield to the more religious spouse (or, rather, the mother in law) and any questioning of this is seen as unreasonable. A marriage is about compromise not capitulation so make sure you start as you mean to go on.

That's not to say that marriages between committed believers and non-believers can't work, they can. It takes work but every marriage takes work.

Good luck.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Do they all have to be from the bible? Can't you find some poems or readings that better reflect your vows to each other and run them past the priest? I would have thought you could have a mix, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

As far as I know you can get married in a church by a priest without the whole mass part. That should suit you both, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Ravenid wrote: »
    That's from the King James Bible.

I'm fairly sure I had the Byrds song one as one of my (rcc wedding) readings. It must be in their version too?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

I realize Im not going to get through the whole ceremony without mentioning God, but Id like to keep it to the absolute minimum, and have the day to be as much about us and as little about him as possible.

You do realise it's a mass ?

Maybe a humanist service might be more your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you don't believe in it, just pick the readings that are the most pleasing to you? As in, the imagery is pretty or you admire the sentiment if not the actual belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The love is kind love is Never boastful one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Confirm your music with the priest if you are using secular music, some priests/parish won't allow all secular during the ceremony though I think everywhere allows it during the signing of the register as mass is over. There is some lovely church music out there with minimal mentions of God or instrumental music is allowed. Some songs tread a middle ground too e.g. The Prayer which doesn't actually mention God but has lovely sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The book of Ruth has some beautiful bits about family and loyalty and, iirc, very little god at all.

If it were me, I have to be honest, I'd be sneaking in readings that like one about yer wan thirsting after her well-hung lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

My sister got married recently to somebody from an non English speaking country, so most of the wedding was in his native language. But the one reading they did in English (and insisted was included in the wedding) was Ephesians 5:22, the one where they say that the wife has to obey her husband. Then a little bit later they did a rendition of the reading in song form, just in case she didn't take it seriously the first time.

So that's my recommendation. All the Irish people over for the wedding seemed to find it terribly funny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Cen taurus wrote: »
    You do realise it's a mass ?

Maybe a humanist service might be more your thing.

Actually, the service doesn't have to include a Eucharist at all. Your priest can advise you on it.

Friends who were a mixed atheist and Catholic marriage didn't have a mass part because they felt it would divisive to get married and then one of them take communion and not the other. There was lots of singing, prayers, readings, a blessing, the normal vows, etc, and the signing of the register.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ezekiel 23:20 - For she doted upon their lovers, whose members are as those of donkeys, and whose issue is as that of horses.

• Advertisement

Genesis 19:30-38King James Version (KJV)

30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.

31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

37 And the first born bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.

38 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

efb wrote: »
    The love is kind love is Never boastful one

Yup, have that one already ;-)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Actually, the service doesn't have to include a Eucharist at all. Your priest can advise you on it.

Friends who were a mixed atheist and Catholic marriage didn't have a mass part because they felt it would divisive to get married and then one of them take communion and not the other. There was lots of singing, prayers, readings, a blessing, the normal vows, etc, and the signing of the register.

Yep. All you actually need is the Marriage Rite. Throwing in a long mass is a relatively new development, presumably down to people wanting to get their money's worth and not a requirement to get married.

A couple of generations ago, a couple would go down early in the morning, and either before or after morning mass, have the Marriage Rite, then go home for the breakfast, all legally married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Neyite wrote: »
    A couple of generations ago, a couple would go down early in the morning, and either before or after morning mass, have the Marriage Rite, then go home for the breakfast, all legally married.
    I don't think that's what they want though. They want the full religious wedding with the white dress, churchy music, and a genuine fully qualified priest guy performing the ceremony.
    Just no God stuff.

According to the Humanist Association of Ireland one-third of weddings now are non-religious. I have to wonder how many of the other two-thirds are for show, at the insistence of the mother in law, or because of the nice church...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I would advise don't do it! :p

But definitely don't do it unless you have the ground rules all discussed and agreed beforehand.
    Because if you're not careful, this will only be the first concession to make to irrational religious belief -
    Next will be getting the kids baptised
    Kids into religious schools
    Kids taken to church (optional :pac: )
    Holy communion, confirmation

and before you know it you've done the whole cultural catholic nine yards.

Your viewpoint on the whole god business is at least as deserving of respect as that of your spouse (and in-laws) and they should appreciate that.
    In practice however it always seems to be the case that the less religious spouse is always expected to yield to the more religious spouse (or, rather, the mother in law) and any questioning of this is seen as unreasonable. A marriage is about compromise not capitulation so make sure you start as you mean to go on.

That's not to say that marriages between committed believers and non-believers can't work, they can. It takes work but every marriage takes work.

Good luck.

Always trust A&A to get a less holier than thou answer. The wife is a cultural Catholic not a committed believer and he isn't asking about school. Just what non religious songs to play.

OP -- you can't go wrong with classical instrumentals. Upsets nobody. Pachabel is very common in weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've no sympathy for the "keep the peace" brigade. If they can't have the guts to have the wedding they want they deserve to have all the parents interference they can get. All this "the mother in law.would be gutted" and "my father wouldn't speak to us and threatened not to come" crap is beyond pathetic for adults to be indulging. Don't get me started on the ones who go on about wanting father so and so to marry them because they made their confirmation there years back. They generally pick a bog standard hotel two hours drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why do you care. It's the not even the equivalent of wanting to pick the right film about Santa for a five year olds birthday at least there are good and bad Santa films .

It's all made up nonsense that no one will care about 4 seconds after the church bit is done with anyway.
    Pick a psalm the says God nonstop or the one that talks about the easter bunny nonstop tis all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I've no sympathy for the "keep the peace" brigade. If they can't have the guts to have the wedding they want they deserve to have all the parents interference they can get. All this "the mother in law.would be gutted" and "my father wouldn't speak to us and threatened not to come" crap is beyond pathetic for adults to be indulging. Don't get me started on the ones who go on about wanting father so and so to marry them because they made their confirmation there years back. They generally pick a bog standard hotel two hours drive away.

The wife to be, a cultural Catholic, wants to get married in her local church. There is no more information in the OP.

• Advertisement

Always trust A&A to get a less holier than thou answer. The wife is a cultural Catholic not a committed believer and he isn't asking about school. Just what non religious songs to play.

The OP thanked my post. What's your issue with it, exactly? I explained how caving into pressure for religious ceremony initially creates a precedent that the non-believer will cave in when kids come along.

'Less holier than thou answer' LOL. what do you expect here?

Don't step onto a rugby pitch and complain the ball ain't round.

Advertisement