Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil rights & Gardai

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

And on the flip side of the coin, some Gardaí get so overwhelmed with their power tripping fascist tendencies. That they forget they have a duty of care to the public. Or to put it another way, the very people who pay their wages.

A couple of cents of your taxes goes towards any individual gardais wages. If that was all you were paying me and you kept bringing it up as if it was somehow meaningful I'd probably treat you with a bit of contempt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

And on the flip side of the coin, some Gardaí get so overwhelmed with their power tripping fascist tendencies. That they forget they have a duty of care to the public. Or to put it another way, the very people who pay their wages.
    Workers pay about 0.82% of their taxes towards Garda salaries.

That means a single person, on a gross salary of €40k per annum, pays €50 per year directly towards Garda wages.

Meanwhile... unemployment-related payments are six times that amount.

I think we know which is better value-for-money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

qt3.14 wrote: »
    A couple of cents of your taxes goes towards any individual gardais wages. If that was all you were paying me and you kept bringing it up as if it was somehow meaningful I'd probably treat you with a bit of contempt too.

You like some Gardaí seem to miss the point, your concern is not how much a particular citizen pays you. But rather, to ensure you provide a high quality & professional service to the very citizens you seem to hold in contempt. The root of the problem is, some members seem less concerned with serving the public and more concern with serving their organisations fiefdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A Garda has no powers unless he's wearing his hat.

This is true and a good way of getting off a charge in court. British police had those tall helmet's to store their legal notes and in doing so were 'acting under proper authority'. It's also why you'll sometimes hear of a person arrested 'under' the misuse of drugs act etc.
    With radios and mobile phones they don't need to carry such large files and most UK cops wear caps with the Royal seal inside to state that they're acting under the authority of the crown. It's the same for the Irish Guards with the harp stamp inside their caps.

The press don't report the amount of people who get off with that defence because there must be a conspiracy of silence or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I was driving along the other night; there was a guard in the road with his hand up. I thought he's never going to be strong enough.

Anyway after he bounced off the bonnet he picked himself up and asked if I had a police record. I told him I had walking on the moon.

I'll get my coat.

Incidentally that story is about as true as any of the Freeman bollocks you're going to get about hats and such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

I was driving along the other night; there was a guard in the road with his hand up. I thought he's never going to be strong enough.

Anyway after he bounced off the bonnet he picked himself up and asked if I had a police record. I told him I had walking on the moon.

I'll get my coat.

Incidentally that story is about as true as any of the Freeman bollocks you're going to get about hats and such.

Shhh... ;)

Advertisement