Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing my run... rookie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

tunney wrote: »
    Also 4x (1 min easy, 2.5 mins steady, 5 mins tempo, 90s hard) even if you change the load rather than the cadence. Tempo efforts are normally maintained for an hour or so, steady is less than tempo so......... There isn;t much work there at all.

when i use the wattbike i dont change the Load / make the gears to a higher level...

what i do is cycle harder .. up the Cadence / RPM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

when i use the wattbike i dont change the Load / make the gears to a higher level...

which isn't the same thing as changing the load. out on the bike you don't ride in one gear and just vary your cadence(outside of a small range), you change the gears to adjust the load.

tunney is rightly saying change the load, not your cadence. although some cadence work is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

In my relative inexperience I would agree in changing the load not the cadence, although for the 90s hard I would up it.

For me on a turbo session I would try and sustain 90rpm throughout the session unless I am doing intervals of say 30 on 30 off, I would go up to 110-120rpm in the highest gear and then ease off and back to 85-90rpm.

Also repeating the same set consistently like that would not be ideal. Change up the length of intervals so your body doesn't get lazy, doing the same set again and again will show limited improvements.

Try add in a few sustained efforts with a run off it. A tough session I did recently was 5 minutes at 75% 5 minutes at about 78%, 6 minutes at 80%, 4 minutes at 83%, 7 minutes at 85%, 3 minutes at 87%, 8 minutes at 90%, 2 minutes flat out and then a short tun off the bike. A few sessions like that could help.

Would be interested in hearing Tunney's take on these types of sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

And this is wrong as tunny already pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

In my relative inexperience I would agree in changing the load not the cadence, although for the 90s hard I would up it.

For me on a turbo session I would try and sustain 90rpm throughout the session unless I am doing intervals of say 30 on 30 off, I would go up to 110-120rpm in the highest gear and then ease off and back to 85-90rpm.

High cadence work has its place but again you could increase the load or gearing and maintain cadence as well. I personally found this changed my build efforts and hard efforts quite a lot. I would do both types though
    Also repeating the same set consistently like that would not be ideal. Change up the length of intervals so your body doesn't get lazy, doing the same set again and again will show limited improvements.

Agree completely. I am a firm believer that the turbo is not boring, just that sessions can be.
    Try add in a few sustained efforts with a run off it. A tough session I did recently was 5 minutes at 75% 5 minutes at about 78%, 6 minutes at 80%, 4 minutes at 83%, 7 minutes at 85%, 3 minutes at 87%, 8 minutes at 90%, 2 minutes flat out and then a short tun off the bike. A few sessions like that could help.

Would be interested in hearing Tunney's take on these types of sessions.

What are were talking about here %MHR, %FTP ?

• Advertisement

I'm talking about %MHR.

I would also say that perhaps low cadence work is important as well, you're not going to be able to replicate exactly a climb but grinding out a high power low cadence can get pretty close. Should help build power and also will help on the road transitioning from uphill to flat.

I'm talking about %MHR.

I would also say that perhaps low cadence work is important as well, you're not going to be able to replicate exactly a climb but grinding out a high power low cadence can get pretty close. Should help build power and also will help on the road transitioning from uphill to flat.

Then I'd not be a fan to be honest. You really need to determine LTHR and base sessions off that. And if turboing and using HR you *need* a big a$$ fan.

I have my LTHR, did a test a few weeks ago and also did a VO2max test last week. Should I be working as a percentage of that?

Normally on the turbo Im between to full length windows both open full with a breeze coming through.

I have my LTHR, did a test a few weeks ago and also did a VO2max test last week. Should I be working as a percentage of that?

Normally on the turbo Im between to full length windows both open full with a breeze coming through.

Thats not going to be enough I am afraid! You need a fan too! Trust me on this.

Read this for zones http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-setting-zones.html

• Advertisement

For the plan in there?

Do many of your races have a 16km cycle?

tunney wrote: »
    For the plan in there?

Do many of your races have a 16km cycle?

Sprint and olpymic tri
    From 20km to 44km races

I was looking at it as an early spring fitness training where I can take 2 sessions and use on the wattbike and have a slow 25km per hour 70km + ride over the weekend

Sprint and olpymic tri
    From 20km to 44km races

I was looking at it as an early spring fitness training where I can take 2 sessions and use on the wattbike and have a slow 25km per hour 70km + ride over the weekend

But I thought you were good for 90km at 35kph?

What I was saying with my last comment, which perhaps should have been in a different colour, was a mischievous comment intended to point out that not only are none of the bike legs that you will be doing as short as 10 miler time trial none of them will be cycling events.

Training should suit the event to be done, not the book/plan/notion had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

OK, so an update. In the past number of weeks I have gone on to compete in two other Sprint Tri's.

Took some advice from here and from my coach. Incorporated tempo runs into my routine which seemed to have worked. It also helped that I have shed a good few kilos since the new year, about 7 kilos in all.

I banged out a 27:02 and a 27:10 5k in each. Better than the 30:00 or so when I ran in Wollongong. Progress but still want to break the 25 min bar.
    The standard yesterday was particularly good. Many ran sub 20's with a few breaking 16 minutes. My bike is still my best event but I think I need to do some training on it so that I can reach my potential on the run.

Want to break the 1:20 in the Sprint, did 1:22:59 yesterday. Minutes to be gained on the bike and run still. Eyeing up a 70.3 as well next year pending I don't die during an Olympic. Have heard good things about Cairns, the bike course is meant to be stunning!

Its going on winter here so the plan is to lose more weight, hit the gym for strength training, get down to the low 80's kg and keep my running/cardio fitness while I do some off season training.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Good stuff. One thing, i'd forget the strength training and do more of swimming, biking or running. Bit of core work a few times a week but other than that swim, bike, run, repeat repeat repeat.

Advertisement